MAXIMUM Infrared Thermometer (non-contact temperature measurement) $29.93 YMMV

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 10th, 2021 8:09 pm
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
22110 posts
8480 upvotes
Socially Distanced
Good item, lasts forever on rechargeable AAAs even though they read as low since its calibrated for alkaline.

As for what to use it for, food is my most frequent use, prevents tongue burning, checking if oil is ready for frying before it smokes, keeping nonstick below overheating temperature (200C), checking how close to boiling something is... Also use it to find hot spots during heatwaves, cold spots in winter (to insulate later), checking the temp of the fridge/freezer, checking outdoor temps, checking temperature gradients, checking if something is too hot to handle or optimizing how long to put things in the microwave for. The list goes on.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Mar 26, 2013
222 posts
161 upvotes
Twin Peaks
It is like one armed bandit you can click a new city and see the price go random, who can match 'Penticton' $39

HellllllloooooOOOOOOOOoooooooo
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2019
1259 posts
5344 upvotes
Quentin5 wrote: Good item, lasts forever on rechargeable AAAs even though they read as low since its calibrated for alkaline.

As for what to use it for, food is my most frequent use, prevents tongue burning, checking if oil is ready for frying before it smokes, keeping nonstick below overheating temperature (200C), checking how close to boiling something is... Also use it to find hot spots during heatwaves, cold spots in winter (to insulate later), checking the temp of the fridge/freezer, checking outdoor temps, checking temperature gradients, checking if something is too hot to handle or optimizing how long to put things in the microwave for. The list goes on.
Agree this is a very useful tool. One of my uses is to check the brakes of my car. After working on the brakes and test drive, I use it to check the temperature of all brakes to confirm the brakes are adjusted properly. If any brake is too tight, it will have very high temperature.

I also use it to check to the temperatures inside my 20+ years old fridge, which still works but cannot control temperature precisely. If temperature inside is too high or too low, I will adjust the setting. It is also interesting to see the temperature is quite different at different spots inside the fridge.

Whenever I want to know the temperature of something, I can use it to do a quick check. Usually I find it to quite accurate.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
22110 posts
8480 upvotes
Socially Distanced
qfli78 wrote: Agree this is a very useful tool. One of my uses is to check the brakes of my car. After working on the brakes and test drive, I use it to check the temperature of all brakes to confirm the brakes are adjusted properly. If any brake is too tight, it will have very high temperature.
That is really cool!
But the emissivity of bare metal is poor, how do you work around that?
I also use it to check to the temperatures inside my 20+ years old fridge, which still works but cannot control temperature precisely. If temperature inside is too high or too low, I will adjust the setting. It is also interesting to see the temperature is quite different at different spots inside the fridge.
Indeed, i have noticed this unevenness as well.
Whenever I want to know the temperature of something, I can use it to do a quick check. Usually I find it to quite accurate.
I have found it quite accurate as well, though i have a much older CT unit that has a poor calibration, the fridge is -10C and the freezer below -40C Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2019
1259 posts
5344 upvotes
Quentin5 wrote: That is really cool!

I have found it quite accurate as well, though i have a much older CT unit that has a poor calibration, the fridge is -10C and the freezer below -40C Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
Regarding the brakes, the actual numbers matter less than relative number. The temperature should rise but not rise too much after a test drive. If the measurement of one brake is significantly higher than the other and it is a very high number, then probably there is some brake drag need to be eliminated. If the temperature of one brake does not rise much after test drive and it is significantly lower than the other, then it probably need to be tightened. BTW, my front brakes are disc and rear brakes are drum.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 18, 2003
6521 posts
382 upvotes
Etobicoke
After being burned multiple times by oven thermometers and temperature probes, I've been looking for a non-contact IR thermometer for while. Thanks OP. Just ordered one from Albion & Kipling location.
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
3486 posts
2262 upvotes
Montreal
Quentin5 wrote: That is really cool!
Get a model with adjustable emissivity, the current regular mastercraft one can do it, not sure about this one.
Mar 9, 2005
208 posts
20 upvotes
qfli78 wrote:
Regarding the brakes, the actual numbers matter less than relative number. The temperature should rise but not rise too much after a test drive. If the measurement of one brake is significantly higher than the other and it is a very high number, then probably there is some brake drag need to be eliminated. If the temperature of one brake does not rise much after test drive and it is significantly lower than the other, then it probably need to be tightened. BTW, my front brakes are disc and rear brakes are drum.
I didn't know you could adjust disc brakes. How do you tighten/loosen them?
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2019
1259 posts
5344 upvotes
geckofish wrote: I didn't know you could adjust disc brakes. How do you tighten/loosen them?
It’s more about the fit of brake pads on the caliper bracket. I ran into situations where the pads cannot slide freely and that lead to brake drag.

Brake drag can also be caused by other causes such as stuck caliper. When it happens, the brake temperature will become very high and it can be easily detected using this tool.
Mar 9, 2005
208 posts
20 upvotes
qfli78 wrote: Brake drag can also be caused by other causes such as stuck caliper. When it happens, the brake temperature will become very high and it can be easily detected using this tool.
It's a good idea. Much better than trying to tell by feeling the rim... I'll have to remember for the next time.
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2004
3260 posts
613 upvotes
North Etobicoke
I was there and only found one in that aisle, there are two other mastercraft versions there also but not this same SKU. I grab it but don't really need it, if anyone wants it I will let it go at costs ($30 + tax)
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
22110 posts
8480 upvotes
Socially Distanced
jzmtl wrote: Get a model with adjustable emissivity, the current regular mastercraft one can do it, not sure about this one.
This one does not have adjustable emissivity.
I own a much older model of the current Mastercraft one and it does not either but i don't know if the current one does.
Nov 18, 2008
750 posts
308 upvotes
Toronto
I have the regular mastercraft one from like 10 years ago, still works fine.

I used it to mainly measure model RC engine temperature and more recently to diagnose a brake caliber drag problem.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2007
1676 posts
50 upvotes
Toronto
damn is the price back to regular price i see $99.99 :(
Feb 11, 2019
24 posts
72 upvotes
I bought some for work and tried to calibrate them, they were so much off(3-7c off) on measuring iced water (around 0c) that I doubt anyone will have any use for them.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
22110 posts
8480 upvotes
Socially Distanced
thekottik wrote: I bought some for work and tried to calibrate them, they were so much off(3-7c off) on measuring iced water (around 0c) that I doubt anyone will have any use for them.

How do you adjust the calibration?
Feb 11, 2019
24 posts
72 upvotes
You dont, in food safety is the difference between shown temperature and the real temperature. The easiest way is to mix ice and water and let it sit for 5 mins, the temperature would be very close to 0. Once you take the measurement you would know the difference between the observed and the real temeperature and substract it from your further measurements.