Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Canadian Tire

MAXIMUM Push Button Tongue & Groove Plier (10" & 12") Set - $24.99

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 6th, 2020 8:23 pm
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7750 posts
1635 upvotes

[Canadian Tire] MAXIMUM Push Button Tongue & Groove Plier (10" & 12") Set - $24.99

These are a new item at CT for the Maximum tool line, discounted on the latest flyer, makes for a great Father's day gift for the weekend warrior fixer dad.

Seems to be a warm deal at 1/2 off but the price is good for a set these pliers. There is also a typo in the item features, these are a 10" & 12" set since there is no 8" & 10" set, so more useful and a better deal.

While these may not be Channellock or (dare I say) Knipex, the build seems to be good and the design improved on the popular Vise-Grip (Irwin/Stanley) models, with a narrower jaw width to get to tight places and likely more durable adjustment mechanism. Chromium-molybdenum alloy steel, Lifetime warranty & made in Vietnam.

https://imgur.com/a/52xiVEu
Last edited by hdom on Jun 6th, 2020 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
13 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7750 posts
1635 upvotes
I wouldn't be surprised if these Maximum too turned out to be made by Stanley/Irwin, since the overall design of this new Maximum line seems to share a lot of similarities with Vise-Grip. ie. Look at this Vise plier, it has a very similar design adjustment design and overall look... https://www.irwin.eu/tools/pliers-and-w ... -thin-grip

Anyway, I have faith that since they are using their upper Maximum branding which comes w/ a Lifetime Warranty on it that it isn't going too be too crappy, so I got a set of these myself.

Like you, I buy a lot of tools too and so far these seem to me like they were well made.
soupmaster666 wrote: With the terrible quality of the vast majority of their non-Maximum hand tools, I find this very unlikely. Can anyone else comment if this stuff is half decent? Can it possibly compete with Vice-Grip or Irwin?

I'm not a hand tool snob - I buy whatever screwdrivers, files, hand saws and blades, etc. are on sale.

But I've made the mistake with some tools where the cheap option is just wasted money - scissors, knockoff Vice Grips and knockoff Channellocks.
Last edited by hdom on Jun 6th, 2020 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2009
2536 posts
1726 upvotes
Kitchener
I have a few knipex and knipex Cobra, and today had my father in law tell me he's got one or two of these on order for pick up.

Really interested to see them vs knipex
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
3793 posts
2427 upvotes
West Coast
Link takes me to a set that's 24.99, but the item descriptions says it's an 8 and 10 inch, not 10 and 12. Typo in thread title or is the link wrong?
Please don't ask or beg for "thanks". Don't act like this is Facebook. If someone found your post helpful, let them decide if they want to make that click. The more you beg, the less you'll get. Cheers
Oct 19, 2008
454 posts
692 upvotes
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Richfields wrote: Link takes me to a set that's 24.99, but the item descriptions says it's an 8 and 10 inch, not 10 and 12. Typo in thread title or is the link wrong?
The OP says in their post that CTs description is wrong.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
3793 posts
2427 upvotes
West Coast
Redshft wrote: The OP says in their post that CTs description is wrong.
Missed that piece. Ty
Please don't ask or beg for "thanks". Don't act like this is Facebook. If someone found your post helpful, let them decide if they want to make that click. The more you beg, the less you'll get. Cheers
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2001
9475 posts
1610 upvotes
General duty I find their hand tools fine. Their drill bits/saw blades are terrible... their grinder disc I find aren't too bad. I think the most used tool for me is the mastercraft is their blue folding knife with extra blades. Excellent build quality and it's small and fits perfectly in pockets, and it's usually $6 on clearance. Their maximum folding knife brand flip one sucks, too fancy it's too long, plus it's black so easily misplaced... blue is easy to see among tools.

Folding knife i'm talking about... and it's on sale again. FYI, spray a bit of oil lube on the flip bolt area... then you can snap it open with one hand like switch blade... handy when your other hand is tied up.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/mast ... p.html#srp
soupmaster666 wrote: With the terrible quality of the vast majority of their non-Maximum hand tools, I find this very unlikely. Can anyone else comment if this stuff is half decent? Can it possibly compete with Vice-Grip or Irwin?

I'm not a hand tool snob - I buy whatever screwdrivers, files, hand saws and blades, etc. are on sale.

But I've made the mistake with some tools where the cheap option is just wasted money - scissors, knockoff Vice Grips and knockoff Channellocks.
...zzz...zzz...zzz...

www.heatware.com
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7750 posts
1635 upvotes
They actually don't have a 8" & 10" set at all if you go to the store, just the 10" & 12" set and good thing too since the 8" is tiny, not practical at all, IMHO.

I wish there is an easy way to report to them about the typo on their site.
Richfields wrote: Missed that piece. Ty
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7750 posts
1635 upvotes
Would be interested to see what you think too since the line is brand new, there is next to no reviews out there.
keyser-soze wrote: I have a few knipex and knipex Cobra, and today had my father in law tell me he's got one or two of these on order for pick up.

Really interested to see them vs knipex
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
18945 posts
10527 upvotes
I opened this and asked myself why someone would want a button to adjust. I opened the CT site hoping to see a video and was disappointed there was none.

I hunted around and found a Knipex video to see what it was about (assuming it's the same). It actually seems pretty convenient. Not sure it's worth switching over normal ones (I mean, how often do you use tongue and groove pliers anyways?) as I already have them, but seems like if I were buying new ones this would be a great feature.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7750 posts
1635 upvotes
I just watched the Knipex videos too and seems like the MAXIMUM may be a hybrid of their Alligator (groove) & Cobra (push button) design.

But like you said, if people already has a set, then it may or may not be worth the convenient to upgrade, but at the price 1/2 of one Knipex and it is a set of two isn't too unreasonable either.
TrevorK wrote: I opened this and asked myself why someone would want a button to adjust. I opened the CT site hoping to see a video and was disappointed there was none.

I hunted around and found a Knipex video to see what it was about (assuming it's the same). It actually seems pretty convenient. Not sure it's worth switching over normal ones (I mean, how often do you use tongue and groove pliers anyways?) as I already have them, but seems like if I were buying new ones this would be a great feature.
Jun 6, 2019
202 posts
304 upvotes
Lowe's has a 3pc (8", 10", 12") kobalt groove joint pliers set $23.24 lifetime guarantee.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7750 posts
1635 upvotes
Not push button change however which is quicker and with more adjustable points. If people don't care for those, the Kobalt set may be a better deal, however the Maximum may have a few other features that the Kobalt lacks too, such as soft grip.
desstiny wrote: Lowe's has a 3pc (8", 10", 12") kobalt groove joint pliers set $23.24 lifetime guarantee.