• Last Updated:
  • Jul 24th, 2020 11:17 am
[OP]
Oct 19, 2004
914 posts
150 upvotes
Toronto

[Canadian Tire] MAXIMUM Ratcheting Gearwrench Wrench Set, 24-pc

The lowest price this has gone down to is $99.99 and the lowest price the 30-piece version has gone down to is $149.99. So, it is probably best to wait and buy them at the cheaper price later in the year if you are not in a rush to get these.
19 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2011
1162 posts
1294 upvotes
49.2827°N 123.1207°W
is there a tool to check price history?
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2013
1718 posts
1491 upvotes
Ottawa
If you can wait, go with this set which typically goes on sale in the last quarter of the year for ~$90. It includes a custom wrench roll. The roll itself is worth its weight in gold as no storage solution is perfect unless it's custom.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/maxi ... p.html#srp

Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
7807 posts
6262 upvotes
Ottawa
The set with the roll was just on sale a couple of weeks ago.

Here are my observations on these sets:
  • They are amazing value. Half-decent wrenches and you get a lot of them for the money
  • Nobody I know needs all the SAE sizes here so most of these wrenches will spend their life unused
  • Skipped metric sizes are annoying. What CTC has against 16mm, 18mm, and 20mm sockets and wrenches I will never know - these are among the most common sizes of bolt heads in vehicles I've worked on. Perversely, there are no skipped SAE sizes - yup, right from 1/4" to 15/16", every increment of 1/16th is there.
  • While these are half-decent wrenches (GearWrench), they are not really mechanic-grade and are not meant for high torque situations.
  • 12 points - while they are well designed 12 point wrenches, they are still 12 points. That has some advantages in tighter confines but the risk of rounding bolt heads is higher than with 6 point ratchets.
  • I have some metric versions of these and they get heavy use. My Tekton ones are also not really mechanic grade but they are better. They are also 6 points and simply hold the bolt head way more snugly. And the ratchets don't stick like these do. But they never go on sale like this.
So, consider this if you work on older machines that require SAE sizes and you occasionally do light duty work on your cars - but be aware that 16mm and 18mm bolts are pretty commonly used by auto makers
Dec 31, 2012
42 posts
137 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
If you don't need mechanics grade tools (I use them for car repairs, but maybe once a month..), I would consider the AmazonBasics ratcheting wrench set.

I got the 7 common metric sizes for $34, but if you need the less common metric (and imperial) stuff, they have sets up to 22 pieces, which go for $98..
Mar 28, 2017
61 posts
74 upvotes
CaptSmethwick wrote:
[*]Skipped metric sizes are annoying. What CTC has against 16mm, 18mm, and 20mm sockets and wrenches I will never know - these are among the most common sizes of bolt heads in vehicles I've worked on. Perversely, there are no skipped SAE sizes - yup, right from 1/4" to 15/16", every increment of 1/16th is there.
Incidentally, they have these missing wrenches for sale separately. That's how they all get you. Finding a metric set with ALL the sizes is an excersize in futility, from pretty much all manufacturers except in their $400 sets.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2014
7412 posts
3577 upvotes
Canuckland
CaptSmethwick wrote: The set with the roll was just on sale a couple of weeks ago.

• They are amazing value. Half-decent wrenches and you get a lot of them for the money
  • Nobody I know needs all the SAE sizes here so most of these wrenches will spend their life unused
  • Skipped metric sizes are annoying. What CTC has against 16mm, 18mm, and 20mm sockets and wrenches I will never know - these are among the most common sizes of bolt heads in vehicles I've worked on. Perversely, there are no skipped SAE sizes - yup, right from 1/4" to 15/16", every increment of 1/16th is there.
  • While these are half-decent wrenches (GearWrench), they are not really mechanic-grade and are not meant for high torque situations.
  • 12 points - while they are well designed 12 point wrenches, they are still 12 points. That has some advantages in tighter confines but the risk of rounding bolt heads is higher than with 6 point ratchets.
  • I have some metric versions of these and they get heavy use. My Tekton ones are also not really mechanic grade but they are better. They are also 6 points and simply hold the bolt head way more snugly. And the ratchets don't stick like these do. But they never go on sale like this.
So, consider this if you work on older machines that require SAE sizes and you occasionally do light duty work on your cars - but be aware that 16mm and 18mm bolts are pretty commonly used by auto makers
How much?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 4, 2006
6353 posts
2272 upvotes
Calgary
CaptSmethwick wrote: The set with the roll was just on sale a couple of weeks ago.

they do this all the time in the socket sets too, drives me nuts, they give you a 13 and half, 19 and a 3/4 which are the same thing, also a 21 and a 13/16... but skip the 18, which is commonly used on current vehicles.

Edit:L just looking on amazon based on the other suggestions, this one actually looks pretty good 11 of each metric and sae, and it has 16 and 18 $100 isnt bad, lots of good reviews.
https://www.amazon.ca/Ratcheting-Wrench ... 04&sr=8-15
Last edited by T3rry on Jul 22nd, 2020 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 26, 2012
275 posts
108 upvotes
Toronto
I picked up this $98 Husky set from HD recently. Doesn't go as big as this set though. I've heard Husky warranty is easier to work with than CT Maxiumum but personally have no experience with it myself.
[OP]
Oct 19, 2004
914 posts
150 upvotes
Toronto
The problem with the Tekton and AmazonBasics ones is lack of lifetime warranty, which is huge value on its own. The ratcheting mechanism on these is bound to break one day, and when it does, you can go in store and swap it out for a brand new set. Husky (HD) is the only other big box brand that offers this. Outside of that, you're looking at professional brands like Snap-On in order to get lifetime warranty.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 4, 2006
6353 posts
2272 upvotes
Calgary
RiP wrote: The problem with the Tekton and AmazonBasics ones is lack of lifetime warranty, which is huge value on its own. The ratcheting mechanism on these is bound to break one day, and when it does, you can go in store and swap it out for a brand new set. Husky (HD) is the only other big box brand that offers this. Outside of that, you're looking at professional brands like Snap-On in order to get lifetime warranty.
i've never heard of canadian tire giving you a whole new set, every time i have done it replace only the defective tool out of a giant bin of misc tools that they have to practically swim through to see if there's one there.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 22, 2008
5752 posts
5495 upvotes
BC
RiP wrote: The problem with the Tekton and AmazonBasics ones is lack of lifetime warranty, which is huge value on its own.
Tekton has lifetime warranty. All they require is a pic of the broken tool and they will sent a replacement on their dime.
Sep 15, 2015
306 posts
166 upvotes
gtgwin wrote: I picked up this $98 Husky set from HD recently. Doesn't go as big as this set though. I've heard Husky warranty is easier to work with than CT Maxiumum but personally have no experience with it myself.
Correct me if I'm wrong but this set seems to be the best value.
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
7477 posts
4099 upvotes
Debtario
sandav wrote: If you can wait, go with this set which typically goes on sale in the last quarter of the year for ~$90. It includes a custom wrench roll. The roll itself is worth its weight in gold as no storage solution is perfect unless it's custom.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/maxi ... p.html#srp

That's nice, didn't know that set existed. I got this one 3 years ago for $100 and all the wrenches just came dumped loosely into two cardboard boxes within the main box. For their quality and retail price that's quite sloppy presentation.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
7807 posts
6262 upvotes
Ottawa
boqbal wrote: Correct me if I'm wrong but this set seems to be the best value.
If you rate your tools by $/kg then yes. It really depends on what you expect to do with these tools. If you're doing brake work, I don't think it will matter much; For heavier duty stuff like suspension work, I find that Tekton is up to the task, Gearwrench (Maximum) is barely up to the task and Husky is a notch below GW. That's based solely on my experience. YMMV.

Again, though, even the Husky set is missing the 16mm ratchet and lacks the 19, 21, and 22mm ratchets that the Maximum set has.
Dec 19, 2010
716 posts
236 upvotes

Huh? Most people I know, including myself need every SAE size. Maybe not so much in the automotive realm anymore but they are anything but unused. My random SAE bolt/nut bin is about 10 x as full as my metric one.

And 20mm is about the rarest fastener head size most people will ever come across. I can't think of the last time I used one, and can only think of a few applications where it's used.
Aug 3, 2012
443 posts
285 upvotes
AURORA
I have the 30 pc set, I would recommend that set over the 24 pc set. To buy the 6 extra wrenches would cost as much as the 30 pc set on sale and I have used the larger wrenches many times - even the open ended side.

If you are mostly working on cars, the long straight metric wrenches would be my first choice: https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/maxi ... p.html#srp. I think they go on sale for $99 or $119.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)