Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Canadian Tire

Mechanical Wine Opener $9.99

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 19th, 2020 11:48 am
Feb 4, 2015
670 posts
2467 upvotes
Calgary, AB

[Canadian Tire] Mechanical Wine Opener $9.99

I've had one of these for years and it works amazing, never breaks a cork and takes literally seconds to open any bottle of wine. Picked up a couple of these as gifts.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/mast ... 5882p.html

Overall a very good price, cheapest I have seen on Amazon is ~$20 and it costs more than this even on the direct from China sites (ie, eBay and Aliexpress).

For reviews:
https://www.amazon.ca/product-reviews/B07MS9P6MJ
(common complaint seems to be taking out the cork afterwards; it's actually super easy - if you redo the opening motion a second time the cork pops off effortlessly.. if you didn't know this I agree taking out the cork would be a pain)
57 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2005
1156 posts
886 upvotes
Waterloo
I've had one this style for a long time (15+ years).

Works amazingly well. Only downside is it doesn't fit in the drawer very well but functionally it's superior and, clearly, reliable as it's simple.
Oct 3, 2010
122 posts
87 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks OP, good gift ideas. Also got the Trudeau decanter on sale.
"You win some, you lose some"
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2005
3799 posts
1991 upvotes
Mississauga
I've had this for last 5 yrs.. and its one of the simplest openers I've seen. Works great.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
9183 posts
3861 upvotes
Toronto
This has been at this price often.

Years ago I began to use an electric opening, and it's been great. It takes the cork out, then with press of button it also unscrews the cork -- this is the best part as with mechanical ones you'd need to twist/turn the cork yourself to get it out.
Feb 26, 2014
494 posts
94 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks OP, my other opener just broke so this is perfect timing.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2015
2282 posts
874 upvotes
Kleinburg, ON.
Thanks! Ordered a couple!
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2009
2623 posts
3724 upvotes
GTA
For anybody wondering on the history, this is the original Herbert Allen (also inventor of the ScrewPull corkscrew); Le Creuset bought his company in 1991.
https://kk.org/cooltools/worlds-easiest/

Rabbit was a popular copy of this type.
Dec 8, 2019
26 posts
46 upvotes
What about all reviews that says it breaks easily?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 8, 2005
6381 posts
1740 upvotes
nerodark wrote: What about all reviews that says it breaks easily?
Had a similar one as a gift long long ago, not from CT.

It isn't exactly broken, but the pin holding the gear not held together. So when you pull the lever, the cork wouldn't come out.

In the end, I am still using my swiss army knife style cork opener.

I would say move on, don't waste your money.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2004
2654 posts
1789 upvotes
Edmonton
Design is great, we still have one of the originals, works great.
That being said..... the build quality of these is questionable, to be kind.

However, if it lasts for 100 bottles - it’s probably a good deal
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten....
Deal Guru
Aug 15, 2015
10483 posts
7614 upvotes
ON
Arrgh wrote: This has been at this price often.

Years ago I began to use an electric opening, and it's been great. It takes the cork out, then with press of button it also unscrews the cork -- this is the best part as with mechanical ones you'd need to twist/turn the cork yourself to get it out.
Nope, it's all done in one swift motion, no need to turn the cork. Electrical openers have nothing on this, unless you only have one finger.
Sep 23, 2007
353 posts
562 upvotes
Toronto (Downtown)
Arrgh wrote: This has been at this price often.

With this style, you simply hold the handles closed, lift the lever up (like it's pushing the cork back down), and while still holding it closed, lower the lever again. Voila- cork is off the screw.
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2008
1477 posts
1410 upvotes
Montreal
Like tomtomtom, I had one of these, it broke. Ultimately i'm glad, with this kind of device you're taking away some of the experience, might as well just get a screw cap wine.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2018
3166 posts
3653 upvotes
Toronto
Looks pretty nice from the video, heading down to see if I can pick one up now as they have stock at my local brick and mortar.

Dont know about others but a lot of wine we purchase these days have metal screw caps rather than cork.
“Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age.....and dreams are forever.”
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2018
3166 posts
3653 upvotes
Toronto
Canadian Tire at Warden & Eglinton have 8 more on the shelf, website says they have 35 units so perhaps the remainder are not on the floor.

Can confirm they have 8 units aisle 69....look on both sides of the aisle you will see them top shelf boxed up.
“Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age.....and dreams are forever.”
Deal Fanatic
Feb 3, 2005
5295 posts
1266 upvotes
Georgetown
Had one of these and it broke... just fair warning
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2005
4047 posts
3277 upvotes
Ottawa
I bought a rabbit corkscrew like this but branded Kirkland from Costco many years ago for $10 on clearance, still working fine and really easy to use.

... or you can saber off the top in style using a butter knife or a spoon and save $10 Winking Face
https://winefolly.com/episode/how-to-saber-champagne/

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)