• Sep 5th, 2019 7:04 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
7884 posts
4519 upvotes
Alberta

Canadian Tire Money more than expected.

I rarely shop at Canadian Tire and when I do, I just spend a few dollars on small things like a lawnmower spark plug, car wax etc and use my PCFWE MasterCard and scan my CT Money card. I usually don't have much accumulated and usually under $2. But, yesterday when she scanned my CT card she said that I had $177 in CT Money, which I could see on the cash register screen, and wanted to know if I wanted to use it. Strange, I wonder where amount came from or how it got on my account.
22 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
16892 posts
7182 upvotes
You can download the CT app or view your account online (https://triangle.canadiantire.ca/en/my-account.html) and see your transaction history to show where you have gained points. It's completely possible it could be some sort of mistake, but it could very well be some promos you were unaware of (25x or 50x points on items).

$177 seems like an incredibly large amount not to notice though - so I'm not sure there is a typical explanation. After all, even at an offer that gives 20% cash back you still needed spending of $3500 to get it which I would think is much more than any person spends on tires (the most popular high priced item I assume).

So definitely either grab the app or login. The nice part of the app is your card is within it so you don't need to carry it.

I am assuming any old CT money customers like yourself have been migrated to Triangle Rewards
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
7884 posts
4519 upvotes
Alberta
Thanks, I might have to do that. I don't think I even signed up for an CT online account before and only use the CT Money card because they gave me one. I don't go out of my way to collect CT Money and the last time I was there, I know I only had less than $2 in the account. I probably spent less than $50 there all year. I kind of wonder if they credited the $175 to the wrong account.
Dec 16, 2006
585 posts
123 upvotes
Central Ontario
Sportchek, Marks, Atmosphere and a few other retailers are part of the CTC Triangle Rewards program which add to your CTC money balance.
Any chance you shopped at those (online or B+M)?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
7884 posts
4519 upvotes
Alberta
drb789 wrote: Sportchek, Marks, Atmosphere and a few other retailers are part of the CTC Triangle Rewards program which add to your CTC money balance.
Any chance you shopped at those (online or B+M)?
No, I haven't shopped at any of these stores either. The only place I ever used my CT card was at CT, nowhere else and the wife doesn't have a card.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2009
4191 posts
3318 upvotes
GTA
Buy something for $200 and use all your points. Get new reward card after.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
7884 posts
4519 upvotes
Alberta
Kiraly wrote: You mean Triangle Rewards card, right? Log in at Triangle.com and it will show you your transaction history where all your eCTM was earned.
I don't have a Triangle Rewards card, I'm using the My Canadian Tire Money card.
Deal Guru
Jan 9, 2011
11578 posts
14360 upvotes
Vancouver
jackrabbit000 wrote: I don't have a Triangle Rewards card, I'm using the My Canadian Tire Money card.
I would call CT and ask what's going on. The old program was replaced by Triangle, but it wasn't necessary to get a new physical card. Maybe someone's new Triangle number is the same as your old My Canadian Tire Money card number. 1-800-226-8473
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2004
4868 posts
1408 upvotes
Wat
jackrabbit000 wrote: Thanks, I might have to do that. I don't think I even signed up for an CT online account before and only use the CT Money card because they gave me one. I don't go out of my way to collect CT Money and the last time I was there, I know I only had less than $2 in the account.
Maybe it was $1.77 and it was misread?
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2004
13880 posts
4435 upvotes
RFD
Wiseman wrote: Maybe it was $1.77 and it was misread?
Seems that is likely he just mis-read it. Doubt that there is another duplicate account.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2005
1773 posts
860 upvotes
It looks like a returned item was added as CT money credit??
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
7884 posts
4519 upvotes
Alberta
No, I never spend that much at CT on one transaction.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
7884 posts
4519 upvotes
Alberta
Wiseman wrote: Maybe it was $1.77 and it was misread?
radeonboy wrote: Seems that is likely he just mis-read it. Doubt that there is another duplicate account.

No, the cashier told me that I had $177 in CT Money and it was on the screen. OK, I just made an account and was able to sign in. This is what it shows, I copied and pasted the line item below.

14 JUN 2019 RETURN
Edmonton South, AB #00304
Edmonton South, AB #00304
Transaction Amount:

CT Money Returned:

Order Status
View Details

There were a few transactions after this one and they have details and are mine and every other transaction before this one are also mine. No other strange transactions on the account.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2004
4868 posts
1408 upvotes
Wat
Not sure what to say.. buy tools.. lawnmower.. anything..
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2004
13880 posts
4435 upvotes
RFD
Wow lucky you, just use it up, it's your lucky day. It's not like they would know what the other account would be to return the funds, just use it up.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
7884 posts
4519 upvotes
Alberta
I dropped by CT and picked up a new Triangle Rewards card and merged it onto my account. It said that it will cancel out my old CT Money card in 24hrs.
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
28642 posts
1310 upvotes
PunkeyDoodles Corner…
Yeah, you definately got lucky.

Even when I'm paying attention I still don't accumulate that much points & we actually buy stuff there. Maybe 1 out of 3 buys, I've even forgotten to 'activate' the 25X/30X/40X offers. Really peeves me. I've had to return/rebuy once this summer because of it. on 50X that's nearly 25% cash-back. It's insane.

I've managed to scrape together just under $100 in points. That's it.

You probably get all the best offers & personalized offers too. Of which I get none. Would've loved to get the car service personalized offer another person on here got. Buying 4 tires on sale, with the promo, WITH the $25 GC using masterpass promo, would've been superb!
PayTM$154, dead. SDM: $4632 Rakuten: $181.98
100% Established: BST; Heat; FB market; Kijiji *BST: FS Mens Shoes & Boots: Lowa, Taft*
*Various Szs Vintage: Hartt, Florsheim Imp*