Canadian Tire Motomaster Battery - 4 year warranty replacement

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 27th, 2021 5:50 pm
[OP]
Apr 18, 2018
106 posts
93 upvotes

Canadian Tire Motomaster Battery - 4 year warranty replacement

Just wondering what I should expect going to Canadian Tire with a MotoMaster battery that won't hold a charge for longer than 2 days.

I bought it from them in December 2017, it has a sticker on it that says "4 Year Free Replacement Warranty". I also have the receipt.
13 replies
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12066 posts
4372 upvotes
Toronto
They will probably go test the battery, and if found weak, they will give you a new one.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
[OP]
Apr 18, 2018
106 posts
93 upvotes
I've read stuff about them prorating the battery (this is from threads up to 10 years ago); since I'm in the 4th year of warranty can I really expect a new battery for nothing?

Just general questions: I'm using a 10amp battery tender right now to charge it- the meter says it's only taking a 6 amp charge. Other batteries I've used this with take the full 10 amps. Is this indicative of a dead/failing battery?
Banned
Oct 10, 2020
1038 posts
613 upvotes
MP3_SKY wrote: They will probably go test the battery, and if found weak, they will give you a new one.
Nothing specific about battery warranty. Most batteries are "weak" after 3 years for example.
tonnie wrote: Just wondering what I should expect going to Canadian Tire with a MotoMaster battery that won't hold a charge for longer than 2 days.

I bought it from them in December 2017, it has a sticker on it that says "4 Year Free Replacement Warranty". I also have the receipt.
If you have to buy a new battery, buy a Kirkland from Costco. You don't need to be a member to exercise Costco's no "battery test" warranty (keep the receipt).
Banned
Oct 10, 2020
1038 posts
613 upvotes
tonnie wrote: I've read stuff about them prorating the battery (this is from threads up to 10 years ago); since I'm in the 4th year of warranty can I really expect a new battery for nothing?

Just general questions: I'm using a 10amp battery tender right now to charge it- the meter says it's only taking a 6 amp charge. Other batteries I've used this with take the full 10 amps. Is this indicative of a dead/failing battery?
"Replacement" is not prorated.

Can you leave the battery disconnected from the vehicle for a day or two to eliminate possible vehicle issues? If the battery can't charge, it's likely bad.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
29776 posts
10489 upvotes
tonnie wrote: I've read stuff about them prorating the battery (this is from threads up to 10 years ago); since I'm in the 4th year of warranty can I really expect a new battery for nothing?

The "free replacement" warranty is free replacement. The total warranty may be longer depending on the battery. For example 7 years total, with 4 years free replacement. It's the three years after the four that are pro-rated. Some batteries don't have any additional "total" warranty like their AGMs which have a long 5yr replacement warranty but no pro-rated warranty beyond that.

A load test will most likely reveal the battery is a goner, which means if you're within the four years then yeah you'll get a new one without any cost to you.

Note that the person at the desk may choose to enter the warranty in two different ways. One is when they don't know what they are doing and they end up giving you a whole new warranty on the replacement battery. The second is the warranty basically resumes from where you are in the original battery. If you get "the person that doesn't know what they're doing" you'll luck out as if you bought a brand new battery today and have your warranty reset at 0 days. It can go either way, or so I've seen. Unless CT has made their system more foolproof/easy that is.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2002
4033 posts
1106 upvotes
Brampton
I did this a long time ago, 10+yrs, but it was only for the remaining value. That means in year 3 they only gave me 25% of the purchase price.
INFORMATION: The requested thread does not exist.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
17926 posts
10662 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
You may have a fight on your hands.

One of my friends had a replacement warranty from CT and his battery was failing because while it would charge up, it wouldn't hold a charge for more than a few days (very similar to the OP). He brought the battery in and they tested it with a conductance tester (one of those electronic ones that are easy to use for the clerks behind the counter) and the battery tested OKAY so they wouldn't replace the battery for him. Now if they put one of those old fashion heater-type testers that drew a heavy load, the battery's performance would have dropped quickly especially if they did two or three tests in short order but CT won't do that as they only follow their 'approved' process.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2015
1793 posts
2230 upvotes
Barrie, ON
If you don't have the receipt and just the battery you won't be getting a replacement.. They'll probably pro-rate you a new one.
Sep 28, 2012
206 posts
100 upvotes
Mississauga
You will have to fight with CT. Good luck!
+1Costco
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
15552 posts
3861 upvotes
Toronto
Don't do anything to the battery. Just take it back and let them check it. This way you are within the 48 month warranty and make sure you get paperwork AFTER they do anything so that if it fails after their check, you have some recourse to get a free replacement.
Car Batteries - FAQ, General Information, Tips & Tricks

Car Buying Tips & Tricks

My Cell Phone Providers: Koodo Mobile and Zoomer Wireless
[OP]
Apr 18, 2018
106 posts
93 upvotes
Update: They tested it and gave me a free battery with the warranty time remaining from the previous battery.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
17926 posts
10662 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
tonnie wrote: Update: They tested it and gave me a free battery with the warranty time remaining from the previous battery.
Great news! To get the max life out of the battery, I would give it a FULL charge as soon as possible. Yes, the battery is 'new' but it's been sitting on the shelf for a while and the longer a lead-acid battery sits without charging fully, the more it gets degraded. Top it off regularly and that battery should last you a long time.