Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Canadian Tire

Locked: MotoMaster Hydra Edge All Season - 97.49 Each

• Last Updated:
  • May 13th, 2021 10:07 pm
May 30, 2017
29 posts
11 upvotes

[Canadian Tire] MotoMaster Hydra Edge All Season - 97.49 Each

First time posting - please go easy!

Been on the hunt for a set of 225/60/17. Usually hard to find a set for less than $500. Was searching the interwebs and found this on CT. $389+taxes/fees for a set, which I thought wasn't bad at all. Unsure of the quality of Motomaster, maybe someone here could give their 2 cents. Stock is spotty from CT to CT but if you're like me theirs 20 CT's within an hour drive. First CT I called said they had none in stock and 0 in the warehouse they order from.

Called another CT, which the website said their was stock, gave me the regular price of 129.99. After waiting on hold for quite some time - turns out the tires on the website aren't supposed to be that price, but they would honor it anyways.

Cheers and good luck

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/tires/pd ... 72017.html
31 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 10, 2008
15197 posts
35239 upvotes
Nation's capital
I have these on an older SUV and were the only ones I could get on the cheap for 19” in size and can’t complain. Quiet and does well in wet conditions . My driving is pretty relaxed so I have no idea about spirited driving
Deal Addict
May 26, 2005
1040 posts
965 upvotes
GVRD
Hail Hydra!
May 30, 2017
29 posts
11 upvotes
stephroll wrote: I have these on an older SUV and were the only ones I could get on the cheap for 19” in size and can’t complain. Quiet and does well in wet conditions . My driving is pretty relaxed so I have no idea about spirited driving
Did you bother with their extended warranty? I've had issues in the past with potholes and had to bite the bullet and buy a new tire outright. Their 8.99 per tire was convincing.
Jun 6, 2018
347 posts
455 upvotes
Worst thing about ct tires is you need them to install to get any of their warranty protection. I've heard enough horror stories about my local ones I have never went thru with it.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2013
6084 posts
1868 upvotes
Manila, Philippines
Gaviator wrote: First time posting - please go easy!

Been on the hunt for a set of 225/60/17. Usually hard to find a set for less than $500. Was searching the interwebs and found this on CT. $389+taxes/fees for a set, which I thought wasn't bad at all. Unsure of the quality of Motomaster, maybe someone here could give their 2 cents. Stock is spotty from CT to CT but if you're like me theirs 20 CT's within an hour drive. First CT I called said they had none in stock and 0 in the warehouse they order from.

Called another CT, which the website said their was stock, gave me the regular price of 129.99. After waiting on hold for quite some time - turns out the tires on the website aren't supposed to be that price, but they would honor it anyways.

Cheers and good luck

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/tires/pd ... 72017.html
If you drive less this tire will do the job, But if you drive more settle for good like Michelin. My Firestone all season tire last me 5 years, Solus All season 3 1/2 Michelin Second Hand 3 1/2 Winter, Now I used that tire and Dyno winter from CT on there second season now, BTW 95% use are side road 5% highway. Drive alot before pandemic!
FreedomMobile 35% Friends & Family
Deal Expert
Jan 10, 2008
15197 posts
35239 upvotes
Nation's capital
Gaviator wrote: Did you bother with their extended warranty? I've had issues in the past with potholes and had to bite the bullet and buy a new tire outright. Their 8.99 per tire was convincing.
Yes I let them install ( yes am still alive ) , comes with road hazard . 3 months later one tire was slowly deflating . Went to CT , explained the slow leak , they saw the nail and to my surprise decided to replace the tire instead of just patching it .
Last edited by stephroll on May 11th, 2021 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2006
4553 posts
2441 upvotes
For those that care to support products made in countries with better business practices/working conditions worker benefits, these are Made in China.

For those that don't, have at them!

FURTHER CLARIFICATION: They're made by Sailun. So, again if that tickles your fancy go for them, and if not then don't (which I won't).
Last edited by mangoman on May 11th, 2021 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Jan 10, 2008
15197 posts
35239 upvotes
Nation's capital
mangoman wrote: For those that care to support products made in countries with better business practices/working conditions worker benefits, these are Made in China.

Will you be returning the product on which you just made your comment with ?
Nov 8, 2007
550 posts
141 upvotes
Ottawa
MotoMaster tires are always 25% off every few weeks. If you can wait you should be able to get any tire they have 25% over the next 3-4 months.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2005
3258 posts
2116 upvotes
Montréal, QC
I can only find 3 in stock :(
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2006
4553 posts
2441 upvotes
Nonsense - apples and oranges. We're talking tires here.

But there are options for electriconic devices too, you have heard of S. Korea, Indonesia, Malaysia, rt?

Move along ...

stephroll wrote: Will you be returning the product on which you just made your comment with ?
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2012
1374 posts
1746 upvotes
Quebec
I like how CanadianTires always rate their own tire as being better than any other tire brand but putting "Road Rated 99%" on a budget option may be pushing it...

For comparison, the Continental True Contact, Michelin Defender and Pirelli P7 which are all better tires according to any other online review, all score lower on CT's "Road Rated" rating
Feb 8, 2017
38 posts
103 upvotes
I have it for my suv. It works great for the price, but i dont drive fast. Havent try winter but wet was fine.
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2008
4014 posts
2509 upvotes
Halifax
stephroll wrote: Will you be returning the product on which you just made your comment with ?
Chinese tire have a reputation of poor wearability. Other than that they are fine
Mar 4, 2013
671 posts
533 upvotes
mangoman wrote: For those that care to support products made in countries with better business practices/working conditions worker benefits, these are Made in China.

FURTHER CLARIFICATION: They're made by Sailun. So, again if that tickles your fancy go for them, and if not then don't (which I won't).
If you have proof that Saliun's working conditions are worse than others, show me. If not, maybe you should take your biased political views out of this board.
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2006
4553 posts
2441 upvotes
Give me a break - why don't you find us proof of Sailun's factory's working conditions for employees (or from any other factory there)?

And this is not a political statement - Canada/USA have companies that try to take advantage of employees too - but at least here, there are ministries you can complain to / labour laws that can be enforced.

Now as for the quality of the tire - you get what you pay for ... anyone want to post a pic of the tread depth on a new Hydra Edge tire? These might have good grip initially, but they will most likely wear out quickly compared to the bigger names.

You can't even find a proper review on these (or any of Sailun's tires). Only subjective, feelgood Amazon *free gift* type of feedback.

So, again if you need something for a car you don't drive much or don't plan to keep long, maybe they're for you.
acheuk wrote: If you have proof that Saliun's working conditions are worse than others, show me. If not, maybe you should take your biased political views out of this board.
Jun 6, 2018
347 posts
455 upvotes
I have had great luck at Costco, I bought a set of 225/65-17 for my crv this spring and got Michelin x-tour for around $750 installed. Only running in the summer, the extra price is worth it if you are getting a few extra years out of them. And on the China thing, most tire manufactures have factories in China now. Almost all the metal wiring in tires is from China now.
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2006
4553 posts
2441 upvotes
And did the Michelins say Made in China on them?

I will readily agree that some tire companies have Chinese factories in addition to others around the world (I think Cooper is one off the top of my head) but that doesn't mean that's what they're selling here.

If Sailun sold tires here that were manufactured in either Portugal/Brazil/USA/Canada/etc. and had independently tested tire test results available, then my view on their product offerings could change.

captainjay09 wrote: I have had great luck at Costco, I bought a set of 225/65-17 for my crv this spring and got Michelin x-tour for around $750 installed. Only running in the summer, the extra price is worth it if you are getting a few extra years out of them. And on the China thing, most tire manufactures have factories in China now. Almost all the metal wiring in tires is from China now.
Jun 6, 2018
347 posts
455 upvotes
mangoman wrote: And did the Michelins say Made in China on them?

I will readily agree that some tire companies have Chinese factories in addition to others around the world (I think Cooper is one off the top of my head) but that doesn't mean that's what they're selling here.

If Sailun sold tires here that were manufactured in either Portugal/Brazil/USA/Canada/etc. and had independently tested tire test results available, then my view on their product offerings could change.
Mine are not, but Michelin does have factories in China, all major tire company's do. They do not promote it but it's easily accessed information through google

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)