Hot Deals

[Canadian Tire] MotoMaster Simple Series 0.8A Battery Charger & Maintainer $27.99 (25% Off)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 20th, 2020 3:13 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
7928 posts
4328 upvotes
Alberta

[Canadian Tire] MotoMaster Simple Series 0.8A Battery Charger & Maintainer $27.99 (25% Off)

Car parked because of covid, this battery maintainer may help from battery going dead.
39 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2004
6921 posts
1797 upvotes
Toronto (Central)
Shows $37.99
Jun 23, 2007
965 posts
1475 upvotes
St. Albert, AB
Shows $27.99 for me in Alberta. Regional sale?
Deal Guru
Dec 17, 2001
11380 posts
4498 upvotes
St-Fabien de Panet, …
Perfect for maintaining my lawn tractor battery over the winter.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2003
1121 posts
306 upvotes
Winnipeg
I have a similar one connected for months at a time. I added a fuse to the positive lead coming off the battery in case of a short circuit. The car is in our garage so I put a cardboard box on the car hood to remind us the battery maintainer is plugged in- so we don't drive off with it still connected.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2004
6921 posts
1797 upvotes
Toronto (Central)
stony wrote: Shows $27.99 for me in Alberta. Regional sale?
Yup. Changed to Calgary and it shows $28
Feb 13, 2008
312 posts
103 upvotes
London
Ontario Flyer has it starting tomorrow.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
7928 posts
4328 upvotes
Alberta
careh wrote: I have a similar one connected for months at a time. I added a fuse to the positive lead coming off the battery in case of a short circuit. The car is in our garage so I put a cardboard box on the car hood to remind us the battery maintainer is plugged in- so we don't drive off with it still connected.
Mine is usually parked in the garage also, I usually just leave the hood up.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2009
1046 posts
552 upvotes
0.8A is pretty low ... may work as a maintainer if your battery is in good health but for that kinda $$ I'd rather get a more powerful battery maintainer from Amazon.

Something like the Gooloo 6V/12V 6A battery charger + Maintainer from Amazon, it's ~ $35.
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
14500 posts
7412 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
If you are going to connect something like this for weeks at a time over Winter, may I suggest pairing this with an appliance time set to turn on for a few hours a week? There have been reports of similar devices when connected to the battery fail in the sense that they fail to detect that the battery is full and end up overcharging the battery. By placing a weekly appliance/light timer on it, the charger is off most of the time limiting the possibility of overcharging.
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
14500 posts
7412 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
number17 wrote: 0.8A is pretty low ... may work as a maintainer if your battery is in good health but for that kinda $$ I'd rather get a more powerful battery maintainer from Amazon.

Something like the Gooloo 6V/12V 6A battery charger + Maintainer from Amazon, it's ~ $35.
I wouldn't trust that at all to be left charging by itself for weeks as a maintainer supposed to do. 0.8A is fine. Another RFD'er got the Battery Tender Jr which is 0.75A and was able to fully charge their battery over a period of a few days which is exactly what a maintainer is supposed to do.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2005
2184 posts
700 upvotes
Mississauga
craftsman wrote: If you are going to connect something like this for weeks at a time over Winter, may I suggest pairing this with an appliance time set to turn on for a few hours a week? There have been reports of similar devices when connected to the battery fail in the sense that they fail to detect that the battery is full and end up overcharging the battery. By placing a weekly appliance/light timer on it, the charger is off most of the time limiting the possibility of overcharging.
I am doing this with a Kasa smart plug.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2009
1046 posts
552 upvotes
craftsman wrote: I wouldn't trust that at all to be left charging by itself for weeks as a maintainer supposed to do. 0.8A is fine. Another RFD'er got the Battery Tender Jr which is 0.75A and was able to fully charge their battery over a period of a few days which is exactly what a maintainer is supposed to do.
I think there are a couple things you can do. Some ppl put a timer to it, so that it only turns on for say, 3 hours in a week, that makes sure you won't overcharge your battery (or worse, cause fire hazard or what not)

But the other thing is, these battery maintainer are all 'smart' chargers that are designed to be left hooked up to a battery all winter, and not only it shouldn't overcharge your battery but moreover, it is supposed to go through different stages of charging cycle to keep your battery healthy. Whether you trust these smart chargers to do that is another thing, but at least reviews seem to indicate ppl have left it hooked up throughout Canadian winters without any problem.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
2211 posts
1687 upvotes
Montreal, QC
craftsman wrote: I wouldn't trust that at all to be left charging by itself for weeks as a maintainer supposed to do. 0.8A is fine. Another RFD'er got the Battery Tender Jr which is 0.75A and was able to fully charge their battery over a period of a few days which is exactly what a maintainer is supposed to do.
I have a Battery Tender Jr plugged into my 1972 Buick's battery all the time (no timer), and it keeps it topped up without an issue. less than an Amp is not going to damage batteries that are typically 25Ah+ (and those are on the small side).

I used to use my CTEK 4.3 for float charge, but when I inherited the Battery Tender Jr, I use that for top up, and keep my CTEK free for more top-up/charging duties.
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
14500 posts
7412 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
number17 wrote: I think there are a couple things you can do. Some ppl put a timer to it, so that it only turns on for say, 3 hours in a week, that makes sure you won't overcharge your battery (or worse, cause fire hazard or what not)
I'm actually the guy that is telling everyone to do just that for months.
number17 wrote: But the other thing is, these battery maintainer are all 'smart' chargers that are designed to be left hooked up to a battery all winter, and not only it shouldn't overcharge your battery but moreover, it is supposed to go through different stages of charging cycle to keep your battery healthy. Whether you trust these smart chargers to do that is another thing, but at least reviews seem to indicate ppl have left it hooked up throughout Canadian winters without any problem.
It's not a question of 'smart' chargers or not in this case but rather if GOOLOO is actually a brand that isn't basically crap. I consider brands like GOOLOO crap brands. If you are going to depend on a smart charger being smart, then get a better brand that can be depended on.