Expired Hot Deals

[Canadian Tire] MotoMaster Simple Series 0.8A Battery Charger & Maintainer $27.99 (25% Off)

  • Last Updated:
  • Oct 20th, 2020 3:13 pm
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
14813 posts
7746 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Emporium wrote: I have a Battery Tender Jr plugged into my 1972 Buick's battery all the time (no timer), and it keeps it topped up without an issue. less than an Amp is not going to damage batteries that are typically 25Ah+ (and those are on the small side).

I used to use my CTEK 4.3 for float charge, but when I inherited the Battery Tender Jr, I use that for top up, and keep my CTEK free for more top-up/charging duties.
I'm just going by some of the various reports out there on the 'net that the various smart chargers when left in maintenance mode go bad. Yes, it's not supposed to happen but I consider it cheap insurnance that things will work out in the end.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 20, 2004
2272 posts
1769 upvotes
Montreal, QC
craftsman wrote: ...
It's not a question of 'smart' chargers or not in this case but rather if GOOLOO is actually a brand that isn't basically crap. I consider brands like GOOLOO crap brands. If you are going to depend on a smart charger being smart, then get a better brand that can be depended on.
Absolutely. If you are going to invest in a smart charger, spend the money to get a good one. Cutting corners on a smart charger are not worth it. The first time it malfunctions (and assuming it doesn't catch on fire), it will destroy your battery. So the savings you tried to make are all useless. Never heard of GOOLOO :) I bought a CTEK, since that is the one many OEMs, including Porsche, Mercedes, etc... trust and provide with many of their high end vehicles. YEs you pay a little more, but they will last a lifetime. Actually putting something like a CTEK on a timer is counter productive. Every time it starts it will go through all it's stages again before falling back into the final mode whcih is pulse charge (not float). The modes are Desulfation, soft start, bulk charge, Absorption, Analysis... up to getting back into float maintenance, where it will remain there for up to 10 days (this is where most chargers stop).. The CTEK will then switch to Pulse maintenance for the long term. Nice explanation here.
craftsman wrote: I'm just going by some of the various reports out there on the 'net that the various smart chargers when left in maintenance mode go bad. Yes, it's not supposed to happen but I consider it cheap insurnance that things will work out in the end.
I've heard.. And I did learn the hard way many ages ago, when I bought a cheap "smart charger". There was nothing smart about it. And I thought I was being smart by putting it on a fancy timer, where once a week, it would come on for 6hrs. and that's it. Figured it would be plenty to keep the battery charged up. Well, it was enough to keep it charged up.. Unfortunately too much. The "smartness" of the unit turned out the be just a dumb timed cycle through phases, and barely any analysis. So turning it on, it would go into a bulk charge mode and since battery was nearly full, over the course of the winter storage, my battery dried up :) I guess that occasional smell of sulfur was not from the garage drain, but rather the acid venting out :( After that I bought my CTEK 4.3 (been over 15 yrs now), and until recently (when I switched to the tender jr), I have used it year round on my 72 buick, and it has not failed me yet. In the summer I used the Tender Jr, since I do use the car quite often. But in the winter where it stays pretty dormant, it goes back onto the CTEK.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2009
1059 posts
563 upvotes
Emporium wrote: Absolutely. If you are going to invest in a smart charger, spend the money to get a good one. Cutting corners on a smart charger are not worth it. The first time it malfunctions (and assuming it doesn't catch on fire), it will destroy your battery. So the savings you tried to make are all useless. Never heard of GOOLOO :) I bought a CTEK, since that is the one many OEMs, including Porsche, Mercedes, etc... trust and provide with many of their high end vehicles. YEs you pay a little more, but they will last a lifetime. Actually putting something like a CTEK on a timer is counter productive. Every time it starts it will go through all it's stages again before falling back into the final mode whcih is pulse charge (not float). The modes are Desulfation, soft start, bulk charge, Absorption, Analysis... up to getting back into float maintenance, where it will remain there for up to 10 days (this is where most chargers stop).. The CTEK will then switch to Pulse maintenance for the long term. Nice explanation here.



I've heard.. And I did learn the hard way many ages ago, when I bought a cheap "smart charger". There was nothing smart about it. And I thought I was being smart by putting it on a fancy timer, where once a week, it would come on for 6hrs. and that's it. Figured it would be plenty to keep the battery charged up. Well, it was enough to keep it charged up.. Unfortunately too much. The "smartness" of the unit turned out the be just a dumb timed cycle through phases, and barely any analysis. So turning it on, it would go into a bulk charge mode and since battery was nearly full, over the course of the winter storage, my battery dried up :) I guess that occasional smell of sulfur was not from the garage drain, but rather the acid venting out :( After that I bought my CTEK 4.3 (been over 15 yrs now), and until recently (when I switched to the tender jr), I have used it year round on my 72 buick, and it has not failed me yet. In the summer I used the Tender Jr, since I do use the car quite often. But in the winter where it stays pretty dormant, it goes back onto the CTEK.
Yes I get what you are saying, and I completely agree plugging a crap charger into the battery can damage the battery, the only thing is I just dunno if gooloo is a 'crap brand'.

I've done some homework and it seems like there are plenty of real users who have been using the same charger to charge their car throughout winter storage for years with no problem. When it comes to build quality, the Gooloo charger also doesn't feel any 'cheaper' than a Battery tender Jr. The battery tender Jr is actually a pretty 'cheap' device with plastic casing, no fan, no cooling. And I really dunno if a $49 battery tender Jr has that much more 'logic' and 'smart' in it than a $39 Gooloo charger.
Newbie
Oct 13, 2016
97 posts
32 upvotes
Anyone know if this will be good for a motorcycle battery over the winter?
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
14813 posts
7746 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Emporium wrote: Actually putting something like a CTEK on a timer is counter productive. Every time it starts it will go through all it's stages again before falling back into the final mode whcih is pulse charge (not float). The modes are Desulfation, soft start, bulk charge, Absorption, Analysis... up to getting back into float maintenance, where it will remain there for up to 10 days (this is where most chargers stop).. The CTEK will then switch to Pulse maintenance for the long term. Nice explanation here.
It's not really counter-productive at all. The CTEK will just run their various test and if the battery is in good shape, that only takes about 30 seconds to get to stage 4 - absorption charge. Then the CTEK may stay at stage 4 for a few hours in order to top off the battery before proceeding through stages 5, 6 and then stopping at 7.

CTEK, while a higher end charger, has had its share of failures over the years as well. Here's a thread from a car form which has a few reported failures - https://www.impactbumpers.com/forum/ind ... -failures/ - I've quoted a few noteable items below.
I was the former owner of three functioning CTEK chargers: one on the 997 (semi-permanently), one on Mrs VT's mobile (winter top ups) and a spare. I'm now down to one, two having failed over these last few months, the most recent of which was the new-at-the-time, Porsche own brand jobbie that came with the 997 just over two years ago.

Each failure looks similar - the single green light is on, either connected to the mains or the charged car battery, but nothing else is functioning.
Had this on occasions with CTecks. They sort of go into a shutdown mode. Apparently it’s a temperature issue or so I’m told and usually only on first fire up after non use. Turn on /off at mains a couple of times and it will reset....eventually.
Heard before Christmas a horror story when a guy had a ctek on his bike in the garage, failed and melted, garage on fire, bike gone, 911 requires respray
Did some Googling last evening and the failures I've been having are pretty common. Whilst the CTEK concept may be solid Swedish the build quality is as stamped on the base, pure Chinese. Cheap internals, poorly assembled. The switches go as do some of the electrical components attached to the PCB. I'll write to them as see what they have to say, you never know they may stand tall. Next time I'm in one of the German supermarkets I'll pick up a couple of theirs. For the money they seem to have a good rep.
I own two CTEKs so I'm not knocking them for the sake of knocking them but just pointing out that every brand has their issues now and again.
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
14813 posts
7746 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
number17 wrote: Yes I get what you are saying, and I completely agree plugging a crap charger into the battery can damage the battery, the only thing is I just dunno if gooloo is a 'crap brand'.

I've done some homework and it seems like there are plenty of real users who have been using the same charger to charge their car throughout winter storage for years with no problem. When it comes to build quality, the Gooloo charger also doesn't feel any 'cheaper' than a Battery tender Jr. The battery tender Jr is actually a pretty 'cheap' device with plastic casing, no fan, no cooling. And I really dunno if a $49 battery tender Jr has that much more 'logic' and 'smart' in it than a $39 Gooloo charger.
The thing is you don't want any active/moving parts for something that is going to sit there for months on end plugged into power. There is a risk of the fan stopping/breaking which may result in the charger overheating.

As for Gooloo, if you do a quick Google search on Gooloo chargers, you soon realize that NO-ONE except for Amazon, a few eBay auctions, and a couple of mainland China websites sells Gooloo chargers. To me, that points to a brand that has been set up to just sell on Amazon which by-itself isn't that bad if it was something that didn't need to be plugged in for long periods of time. Heck, I would think twice about brands like this which are even plugged in.

As for the level of smarts between a Gooloo and a Battery Tender, I'm actually sure that the Gooloo probably has more 'smarts' as the Battery Tender's design has been around for years (maybe even a decade or two) so we aren't talking about bleeding or even cutting edge technology here. The key thing really is just the reliability and dependability of the product at the end of the day.
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
14813 posts
7746 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
GlennButerol wrote: Anyone know if this will be good for a motorcycle battery over the winter?
As long as the battery is a lead-acid 12V battery, you should be fine.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 20, 2004
2272 posts
1769 upvotes
Montreal, QC
craftsman wrote: ...
I own two CTEKs so I'm not knocking them for the sake of knocking them but just pointing out that every brand has their issues now and again.
Hell, we are not disputing that... Anyone that thinks otherwise is dreaming. Every brand will have a bad lemon in a batch, or occasional a faulty design. That goes without saying.
number17 wrote: Yes I get what you are saying, and I completely agree plugging a crap charger into the battery can damage the battery, the only thing is I just dunno if gooloo is a 'crap brand'.

I've done some homework and it seems like there are plenty of real users who have been using the same charger to charge their car throughout winter storage for years with no problem. When it comes to build quality, the Gooloo charger also doesn't feel any 'cheaper' than a Battery tender Jr. The battery tender Jr is actually a pretty 'cheap' device with plastic casing, no fan, no cooling. And I really dunno if a $49 battery tender Jr has that much more 'logic' and 'smart' in it than a $39 Gooloo charger.
I have never heard of Gooloo before this. They are some no name brand that is made to look cool, and like craftsman pointed out, I don't see them anywhere sold other than amazon and occasional ebay listing. Not saying it is bad, but there is no way of knowing long term.

It's like this charger for "AA/AAA" batteries... Looks exactly like a Lacrosse BC1000, advertising all the same features also, and the LCD display is a complete ripoff of the LACrosse units. But that is where it ends. This unit may be half the price, but doesn't even half half the smarts from the looks of all the reviews. I was tempted in getting one to replace my 20+yr old BC700 which is having a hard time with the buttons after all the use it got when my kids were young and all the batteries we used to charge. But honestly, not even worth picking that junk up. I'll pay double the price and keep it for another 20 yrs.

Not saying the battery tender jr has any super smarts in it. But it is from a reputable company and it has been around for a while. 0.8A will probably not harm any 30Ah battery, even if left on with no smarts for a long time. But if the battery internal resistance is super high, and the unit overheats over time, then you are at the mercy of any thermal protection it may or may not have built in to it's design. Like we've said above, any brand can have a defect, but I'd bet on a battery tender jr for quality control over a gooloo if I had to.

Everything is built in China nowadays and that is not a sign of a bad product. Where does everyone think their iPhones they love so much are made ? Chinese factories can produce whatever you want. But the use of quality components, and better QC, comes at a price. Todays consumer is often scrutinizing even a 5% difference in cost on some products. So obviously companies are trying hard to cut costs and they take strategic risks in order to achieve those costs.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 26, 2003
34469 posts
4030 upvotes
Winnipeg
Emporium wrote: I have a Battery Tender Jr plugged into my 1972 Buick's battery all the time (no timer), and it keeps it topped up without an issue. less than an Amp is not going to damage batteries that are typically 25Ah+ (and those are on the small side).

I used to use my CTEK 4.3 for float charge, but when I inherited the Battery Tender Jr, I use that for top up, and keep my CTEK free for more top-up/charging duties.
can you connect this directly to the battery while it is installed in the car? so without removing either connectors on the battery terminal?
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
14813 posts
7746 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
divx wrote: can you connect this directly to the battery while it is installed in the car? so without removing either connectors on the battery terminal?
It depends on the terminal clamps currently in the car. Some clamps are relatively easy to back off and put the ring terminals on while others require you to remove the clamp from the terminal so that the nut on the clamp can be completely removed before the ring can go on.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 26, 2003
34469 posts
4030 upvotes
Winnipeg
craftsman wrote: It depends on the terminal clamps currently in the car. Some clamps are relatively easy to back off and put the ring terminals on while others require you to remove the clamp from the terminal so that the nut on the clamp can be completely removed before the ring can go on.
Oh so using either the clamp or the ring terminal are both fine with rest of the car connected to the battery?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 20, 2004
2272 posts
1769 upvotes
Montreal, QC
divx wrote: can you connect this directly to the battery while it is installed in the car? so without removing either connectors on the battery terminal?
Yes, absolutely.. This is what I do. I don't bother removing it from the car.

The CTEK 4.3 (at least the kit I had gotten), comes with the standard clips you can clamp directly onto the battery connectors (just like jumper cables (just a little smaller). However it is modular, and it also came with Eyelet connector which you can permanently attach to your car, to make it more convenient. You can run the connector to your grill, in some area easy to access, so you don't even need to pop your hood (just like you do with block heaters). Even has an optional cigarette lighter socket connector, to make it easier. These connectors are also convenient for those who have batteries in hard to reach places, like under seats, etc...
Jr. Member
Dec 15, 2017
129 posts
118 upvotes
the2ndme wrote: "Duracell" 1A charger/maintainer for $19.99 w/ best in-store warranty

https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/ ... -p8837494e

Image
this and the motomaster look like garbage. These cheap wall wart style trickle chargers are given away for free with purchase in harbor freight down in the states and aren't worth any more than that. The one I have from home depot was only $30 (I think it's black and decker) but at least its in waterproof enclosure, 2A, has polarity detection and desulphurization.

https://www.harborfreight.com/automatic ... 64284.html
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
14813 posts
7746 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
divx wrote: Oh so using either the clamp or the ring terminal are both fine with rest of the car connected to the battery?
Yes. The vast majority of car battery chargers can be used with the battery left installed in the car. I always suggest that people remove the battery initially so that they can give the battery a quick wash with some mild detergent as well as inspect and clean the location in the car where the battery is located (ie see if the battery leaked and is causing that area to rust). You can just leave the battery in place and use the charger if you so desire as well.

Top