Expired Hot Deals

[Canadian Tire] MotoMaster Simple Series 0.8A Battery Charger & Maintainer $27.99 (25% Off)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 20th, 2020 3:13 pm
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
14926 posts
7865 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
miningminer wrote: this and the motomaster look like garbage. These cheap wall wart style trickle chargers are given away for free with purchase in harbor freight down in the states and aren't worth any more than that. The one I have from home depot was only $30 (I think it's black and decker) but at least its in waterproof enclosure, 2A, has polarity detection and desulphurization.

https://www.harborfreight.com/automatic ... 64284.html
Not all wallwort battery chargers/maintainers are the same. Some call themselves chargers but are really just the old style float maintainers while others actually do multistage charging but at a low current. I call them float maintainers because they can't provide enough voltage to actually charge a battery, only maintain a battery. You can easily tell the difference between the two if you have a look at the output/charging voltage - the float maintainers will only output 13.2V or so (which is listed right in the manual or on the body of the wallwort) while actual chargers will output 14.4V or so (the charging voltage of a lead-acid battery) and then drop down to 13.2V once the battery is charged.
Oct 10, 2020
274 posts
147 upvotes
miningminer wrote: this and the motomaster look like garbage. These cheap wall wart style trickle chargers are given away for free with purchase in harbor freight down in the states and aren't worth any more than that. The one I have from home depot was only $30 (I think it's black and decker) but at least its in waterproof enclosure, 2A, has polarity detection and desulphurization.

https://www.harborfreight.com/automatic ... 64284.html

$14.99 floater ( likely the same product )

https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/ ... -p8729188e ( and a much better return/warranty policy )
Dec 15, 2017
131 posts
120 upvotes
craftsman wrote: Not all wallwort battery chargers/maintainers are the same. Some call themselves chargers but are really just the old style float maintainers while others actually do multistage charging but at a low current. I call them float maintainers because they can't provide enough voltage to actually charge a battery, only maintain a battery. You can easily tell the difference between the two if you have a look at the output/charging voltage - the float maintainers will only output 13.2V or so (which is listed right in the manual or on the body of the wallwort) while actual chargers will output 14.4V or so (the charging voltage of a lead-acid battery) and then drop down to 13.2V once the battery is charged.
I agree, but I take one look at this thing with cheesy thin wires, alligator clips, and a wall wart style power adaptor and it just screams rip off. This is clearly a company trying to make a product for as cheap as possible that won't last, it probably cost them under $1 to manufacture. I got this one on sale at home depot for $30. At least they put some effort into real cables, a plastic enclosure with rubber bumpers around it that's waterproof so you can leave it plugged in the driveway. As a rule of thumb I never buy anything from the motomaster brand. They take the cheapest offshore products and relabel them, and raise the prices ridiculously. Every single motomaster product I've ever owned is pure trash.

https://www.amazon.ca/BLACK-DECKER-BM3B ... B0051D3MP6
Oct 10, 2020
274 posts
147 upvotes
miningminer wrote: I agree, but I take one look at this thing with cheesy thin wires, alligator clips, and a wall wart style power adaptor and it just screams rip off. This is clearly a company trying to make a product for as cheap as possible that won't last, it probably cost them under $1 to manufacture. I got this one on sale at home depot for $30. At least they put some effort into real cables, a plastic enclosure with rubber bumpers around it that's waterproof so you can leave it plugged in the driveway. As a rule of thumb I never buy anything from the motomaster brand. They take the cheapest offshore products and relabel them, and raise the prices ridiculously. Every single motomaster product I've ever owned is pure trash.

My 11-year old Motomaster charger (yellow ones) is still working like new. The current Motomaster chargers come with a 3 year in-store exchange warranty. B&D?
Dec 15, 2017
131 posts
120 upvotes
the2ndme wrote: My 11-year old Motomaster charger (yellow ones) is still working like new. The current Motomaster chargers come with a 3 year in-store exchange warranty. B&D?
yes but do they actually give you an exchange? Or do they demand that you produce the original box and receipt? I gave up on canadian tire years ago when I bought a blender there and it was dead out of the box. Brought it back to the store the next day with the receipt and they refused to give me a refund because it had been opened. At least with princess auto I know I can bring something back a year later with no receipt and not get hassled.
Deal Addict
May 9, 2003
1463 posts
721 upvotes
miningminer wrote: I agree, but I take one look at this thing with cheesy thin wires, alligator clips, and a wall wart style power adaptor and it just screams rip off. This is clearly a company trying to make a product for as cheap as possible that won't last, it probably cost them under $1 to manufacture. I got this one on sale at home depot for $30. At least they put some effort into real cables, a plastic enclosure with rubber bumpers around it that's waterproof so you can leave it plugged in the driveway. As a rule of thumb I never buy anything from the motomaster brand. They take the cheapest offshore products and relabel them, and raise the prices ridiculously. Every single motomaster product I've ever owned is pure trash.

Motomaster is a respectable brand. The key is to find their "best" line. They usually will have "good" "better" and "best".

I have had a Motomaster Maximum automatic battery charger (2A) for over a decade and it works like a charm to this day.

I say this tongue in cheek... but the guy who is bashing Motomaster then recommends a Black and Decker.
Oct 10, 2020
274 posts
147 upvotes
miningminer wrote: yes but do they actually give you an exchange? Or do they demand that you produce the original box and receipt? I gave up on canadian tire years ago when I bought a blender there and it was dead out of the box. Brought it back to the store the next day with the receipt and they refused to give me a refund because it had been opened. At least with princess auto I know I can bring something back a year later with no receipt and not get hassled.
With box and like off the shelf condition for non-warranty related returns (90 days?). I think the return/warranty policies have changed for the better recently.
Dec 15, 2017
131 posts
120 upvotes
bizzyseller wrote: Motomaster is a respectable brand. The key is to find their "best" line. They usually will have "good" "better" and "best".

I have had a Motomaster Maximum automatic battery charger (2A) for over a decade and it works like a charm to this day.

I say this tongue in cheek... but the guy who is bashing Motomaster then recommends a Black and Decker.
I have no love for black and decker. Just saying there are many better options out there for the $30 mark with at least real cables and a waterproof enclosure. Mine has been left outdoors in the rain and snow for years and it still works.