• Last Updated:
  • Aug 23rd, 2021 2:47 pm
[OP]
Jan 13, 2012
538 posts
590 upvotes
Vancouver

[Canadian Tire] MotoMaster Synthetic 5L on sale for $22.99

Excellent deal for the 5w40 anyways as it has all the certs (VW 502 and 505, and is rumoured to be repackaged Shell Helix (developed with Shell technology, whatever that means). Unless Pennzoil runs their MIR, this is probably as cheap as you'll get an approved full syn.
20 replies
[OP]
Jan 13, 2012
538 posts
590 upvotes
Vancouver
Frankdood wrote: Kirkland comes in cheaper in store, no?
Yes, but has all the certs matters if you're under warranty and need to make an engine related claim.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2017
1517 posts
546 upvotes
good price for full syn.
also for those curious.
this oil is made by SHELL.
are we there yet?
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
4491 posts
2980 upvotes
chris5555 wrote: Yes, but has all the certs matters if you're under warranty and need to make an engine related claim.
Out of curiousity how many engine related failures under warranty that is due to oil? I have been reading this over and over but where is the numbers? I know Honda has their turbo oil dilution problem but it is a design fault not the oil. Please educate me.
Deal Addict
Mar 15, 2019
2087 posts
2635 upvotes
chris5555 wrote: Yes, but has all the certs matters if you're under warranty and need to make an engine related claim.
which car dealership you work for?
-------------------
GO zoomers ~
$36 6GB UNLIMITED CARP voicemail + a free phone / 2yr
Jan 15, 2002
258 posts
46 upvotes
Last time I was in Costco they had Kirkland 0W20 in addition to 5W30...36.99 for 2 x 4.73l in Kanata...first time i've seen anything other than 5w30 in Kirkland brand in store
THIS IS A DARK RIDE
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2017
1155 posts
1261 upvotes
Calgary
Good deal if you don't have a Costco membership, or it's too out of the way to go.

Otherwise, Kirkland is the better buy.
Dec 7, 2019
73 posts
84 upvotes
I use a lot of oil. Supertech is rotella T6 are all I use unless the grade is not available liel 0w16 or 0w40. I would be interested in sending in a VOA of this motomaster to see the additive package
Dec 7, 2019
73 posts
84 upvotes
habfan wrote: Last time I was in Costco they had Kirkland 0W20 in addition to 5W30...36.99 for 2 x 4.73l in Kanata...first time i've seen anything other than 5w30 in Kirkland brand in store
supertech is cheaper and the same oil made by warren
[OP]
Jan 13, 2012
538 posts
590 upvotes
Vancouver
GammaRayFort wrote: which car dealership you work for?
If I worked for a stealer, I sure as hell wouldn't be plugging diy oil. Manufacturers will (or can) drop your claim if you can't prove that you maintained your engine properly. That includes using approved oil.
[OP]
Jan 13, 2012
538 posts
590 upvotes
Vancouver
cristianosham wrote: Out of curiousity how many engine related failures under warranty that is due to oil? I have been reading this over and over but where is the numbers? I know Honda has their turbo oil dilution problem but it is a design fault not the oil. Please educate me.
I don't know the answer, and manufacturers probably won't be volunteering that information any time soon - but I do know that not using the right oil won't help your warranty claim get approved. Other than Hyundai/Kia, who were replacing blocks no questions asked, most manufacturers will be asking for proof of maintenance, especially now that everything is a tiny boosted four banger squished into a tiny space.
Jul 19, 2005
239 posts
79 upvotes
How long this sale go for? I see regular price.
Aug 6, 2019
212 posts
155 upvotes
berta
are you saying kirkland oil lacks certifications? there are only 2 right, api and energystar? not being critical, just a nerd.
not food
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2017
1517 posts
546 upvotes
The MSDS sheet for this oil says Shell Canada. Not Warren.
If this is anything close to Rotella quality this is a great deal.

MSDS sheet is here https://www.canadiantire.ca/content/dam ... 20P_EN.pdf

Manufacturer/Supplier : Shell Canada Products
400 - 4th Avenue S.W
Calgary AB T2P 0J4
Canada

SandeepB72045 wrote: supertech is cheaper and the same oil made by warren
are we there yet?
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2003
2195 posts
590 upvotes
Toronto
techjedi wrote: The MSDS sheet for this oil says Shell Canada. Not Warren.
If this is anything close to Rotella quality this is a great deal.

MSDS sheet is here https://www.canadiantire.ca/content/dam ... 20P_EN.pdf

Manufacturer/Supplier : Shell Canada Products
400 - 4th Avenue S.W
Calgary AB T2P 0J4
Canada
I'm pretty sure that post was referencing the Kirkland branded oil and SuperTech having the same manufacturer (Warren).
Aug 6, 2019
212 posts
155 upvotes
berta
great! just what im looking for. anybody doing this? is this a viable side hustle?
not food