Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
2671 posts
2204 upvotes

[Canadian Tire] Multimeter, wire strippers, pliers, carrying case - $12.49

In this week's flyer:
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/maste ... 0064p.html

reg price is $49.99, on sale for $12.49 until June 8

Set includes 5 function, 9 range digital multimeter, wire strippers and needlenose pliers
DC voltage - 200mV, 2000mV, 20V, 200V, 1000V
AC voltage - 200V, 750V
DC current - 200µA, 2000µA, 20A, 200mA, 10A
Resistance - 200, 2k, 20k, 200k, 2000k
Diode test
Digital display size is 12.83mm
Includes carrying case

28 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2013
1554 posts
1286 upvotes
Toronto
Those strippers might be worth something.
The multimeter is garbage, banana plugs have short lifespans.
This kit is good for figurting out the voltage of your home sockets and your car battery. That's about it.
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2009
2129 posts
1010 upvotes
Ontario
Picked one up earlier, unless you are an electrician, this is perfect for DIY.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
2671 posts
2204 upvotes
So it appears that photo and description on CT's website is out of date. I just opened mine up and there is no pouch, just a carry case, and actual meter looks like this:

Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2008
1838 posts
862 upvotes
Home
what makes a "good" multimeter vs a "bad" one? Any recommendations for a good one? Also what battery does this one take?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
2671 posts
2204 upvotes
I RFD wrote: what makes a "good" multimeter vs a "bad" one? Any recommendations for a good one? Also what battery does this one take?
Typically the things that tend to differentiate multimeters are:

1. sturdiness/physical quality (somewhat subjective)
2. true RMS measurement (results in more accurate readings when measuring digital devices/loads)

To be clear, this $12.49 multimeter doesn't have either of the above. No professional would use this, but it's certainly good enough for the occasional measurement around the house/car
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2013
1554 posts
1286 upvotes
Toronto
I RFD wrote: what makes a "good" multimeter vs a "bad" one? Any recommendations for a good one? Also what battery does this one take?
A good meter will hopefully not blow your fingers and eyeballs off once you poke into something you should not have.
Again, this is ok for checking your car battery and outlet voltage.
I would not even poke around in a residential panel with this.
Dec 29, 2010
44 posts
5 upvotes
I've found that these cheap CT meters start giving inaccurate readings once the battery (typically 9v) gets low. Decent price for home use but not professional grade.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2016
1801 posts
1817 upvotes
Toronto, ON
It wasn't too long ago that these meters were regularly on "sale" for $9.99. Cousin who is a mechanical engineer used one on a light socket almost electrocuted himself.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 15, 2004
6463 posts
987 upvotes
Can't believe CT still does not have a mobile website with the money that they have.

Does anyone know the gauge of the stripper?
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2013
1554 posts
1286 upvotes
Toronto
dotsandpixels wrote: It wasn't too long ago that these meters were regularly on "sale" for $9.99. Cousin who is a mechanical engineer used one on a light socket almost electrocuted himself.
Mechanical engineers should not be allowed to handle pool noodles, nevermind pokey bits that go into electron buckets. Yolo.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2012
1096 posts
838 upvotes
Richmond Hill
CT makes their money from franchise fees, they had an e-commerce site but shut it down for some reason. Yeah they are definitely behind the times in sticking with brick and mortar stores only. I see a US Walmart buying them out soon.
sf1 wrote: Can't believe CT still does not have a mobile website with the money that they have.

Does anyone know the gauge of the stripper?
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2010
1166 posts
492 upvotes
Ottawa
The majority of the multimeters i have seen used in the professional world have been Fluke brand.
Just like any other professional tool, they are more accurate, reliable, and feature rich than a consumer grade multimeter bought at CT.

They are also significantly more expensive than any CT brand meter.

Many of the ones i have used are sophisticated enough that you can easily rely on the automatic sensing of the unit to properly select and configure the appropriate settings, thus preventing you from damaging the equipment.
Nov 19, 2015
3 posts
East York, ON
SomeGuyNamedBob wrote: Typically the things that tend to differentiate multimeters are:

1. sturdiness/physical quality (somewhat subjective)
2. true RMS measurement (results in more accurate readings when measuring digital devices/loads)

To be clear, this $12.49 multimeter doesn't have either of the above. No professional would use this, but it's certainly good enough for the occasional measurement around the house/car
Thanks!
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2012
1149 posts
632 upvotes
Burlington
If you want a cheap multimeter, you're probably better off getting one from eBay for cheaper if you're not on a hurry. Probably the same level of quality (i.e. poop).
Oct 2, 2013
832 posts
205 upvotes
same as mine, I picked it up like 4 years ago, use it about 10 times of less :p
Oct 13, 2015
176 posts
83 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
Good for car service, and not suitable to test home AC circuit!!!
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2016
1801 posts
1817 upvotes
Toronto, ON
cowbunpants wrote: Mechanical engineers should not be allowed to handle pool noodles, nevermind pokey bits that go into electron buckets. Yolo.
Tell me about it. Never asked him to come over for a couple of beers after that.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2680 upvotes
Vancouver
evilkleg wrote: I've found that these cheap CT meters start giving inaccurate readings once the battery (typically 9v) gets low. Decent price for home use but not professional grade.
Yes, that's true on the one I have.