Shopping Discussion

Canadian Tire - no refunds on Christmas decorations after Dec 24. YMMV

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 8th, 2020 12:12 pm
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2017
3047 posts
2146 upvotes
We were all shocked, but not surprised because they're the cheapest folks in the group and make the most money.
It's always those ones who talk about they have this and that but they have the worst morals and ideals.

Like another poster said, I also look at them in a different light. Id rather have someone who's gonna tell me life is hard and they cant contribute for the gathering than someone who talks about $/promotions and bring the worst and cheapest contribution.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2020
3376 posts
6370 upvotes
YEG/YYZ
Return policy abusers aside, I refuse to shop at CT for anything other than consumables (laundry detergent, engine oil, etc). Yes there are abusers but CTs blanket policy of not accepting any open boxes at all just means I'll do my shopping elsewhere. For example one time I bought a ratchet set at wal mart and it was complete garbage. Returned it no questions asked. If it was CT I would be stuck with it. At the very least CT could give back store credit.
Deal Guru
Apr 23, 2004
14972 posts
213940 upvotes
Montreal
Hi there,

I can understand if the product is pure garbage or defective, then go ahead and return it or exchange it, that's what return policy should be. But not for seasonal items, like Christmas stuff, Halloween stuff after that holiday is over. Or seasonal stuff, like AC or even TV returns after a TV event. Hell, I remember one guy try to return a camera after he claim he didn't work for him. I check it, he clocked over 1000+ pictures from the count meter and there is some vacation pictures saved in the camera memory.

The thing is, even it doesn't cost anything to return, it actually does. The cost of paying the person to return and process it. Then, sending it back to the vendor, etc. All this cost will be return back to the consumer in the long run.

The term is called "retail rentals". It should be illegal...

Ju Leon...
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
9280 posts
3006 upvotes
London
lmcjipo wrote: That may be true but I've never had any real issues getting a refund for items that I've purchased and just didn't work as expected (for example, I purchase a digital television antenna and it would only catch 2 digital stations whereas my other antenna on a different television could at least catch 5 digital stations). The only time I had an issue was when I purchased a cheap netbook style computer from them and at the cash when I paid, the bill stated "this item can't be returned or exchanged". When I got home, I realized why... the cheap netbook style computer was a piece of junk. Netbooks are slow in general but this "netbook" was hardly useable. A few months after that, they no longer sold this cheap "netbook" and that company went out of business.

My most recent experience was where I purchased a power bar from them and it stopped working properly after around 9 months. I brought it back (for an exchange) and they told me to just grab a new one from the aisle. I didn't have my bill but had my Canadian Tire Mastercard statement showing the charge.

I don't have any issues with them not accepting refund returns on Christmas items after Christmas is over just like I wouldn't have issues with them not accepting Halloween items after that day.
We could trade stories about our experiences all day, but you've seen the threads here about the problems returning stuff at some CT locations; it's not a fabrication. CT has a real problem with consistency in it's policies and the dealers. I don't have any issues with retailers setting limits on returns; shoot, I have no problem with them straight up telling me 'no returns'... as long as that's clearly stated up front. Some CT dealers will make up whatever they want to deny returns, and CT corporate needs to do a better job ensuring a consistent consumer experience across all their banners.
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2016
1176 posts
1794 upvotes
scarborough
Its all about the RENTAL

who needs a snow blower after April, who needs a lawnmower in October .... who need a digital camera after vacation is over, who need the circular saw after your deck is finished, who needs the huge speakers after the party is over, who needs the 85 inch television after the big game, who needs the skates after the ice melts, who needs the fancy party dress after the new years party, who the tent after camping season is over, who needs
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2007
1657 posts
1316 upvotes
Mississauga
just remembered this happened to me at ct years ago... bought some clean cleaning stuff about 6 items all from same company which I liked. Next week they are in the flyer at 30% off. Figure I could just go in with receipt get a price adjustment. they gave me all all sorts of reasons why they cant do that, Said fine.. Went and grabbed same stuff from the isle and bought it on the lower price. went right to returns desk with old receipt. They called in a manager as said I cant do this and that. Asked them why as the product here is the receipt and here is the product and wanted a return. they talked for a few moments and said something along the lines of this time only.

so my question why waste mine and their times when this could of been solved at the first encounter.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2015
1236 posts
1688 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
tew wrote: The savings probably aren't past on to us but the costs of all those returns are factored into the prices. If people didn't return so many items that are perfectly fine but used and unsaleable the costs would be a little lower.

I exchanged a GH Live at Dollarama a few years ago because one of the keys was very sticky and made it unplayable. The CSR confirmed the issue and gave me another one.
This is correct... When we upload our products to Canadian Tire/Walmart etc, we do factor in the return rate of these products and adjust the price accordingly. If we see a certain product with a higher rates on return, we will adjust the prices for that item for next season.
May 18, 2018
840 posts
915 upvotes
Biscayne05 wrote: It's always those ones who talk about they have this and that but they have the worst morals and ideals.

Like another poster said, I also look at them in a different light. Id rather have someone who's gonna tell me life is hard and they cant contribute for the gathering than someone who talks about $/promotions and bring the worst and cheapest contribution.
They're usually the worst tippers as well lol
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2020
3376 posts
6370 upvotes
YEG/YYZ
Tommy74 wrote: First world issues. Go to some European countries and see how they live with absolutely no returns. You buy it, it's yours. Problem next day? You have manufacturer's warranty.
You're so right. We should never complain about anything and just be grateful for running water
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2017
5308 posts
3779 upvotes
Vancouver
Honestly that policy does make sense and has being around for a while. It makes sense for seasonal goods to have no refund policy after the season is over. Also return for refund at CT has always being YMMV and generally is no return for anything opened anyways. If you are buying something at CT, probably should just assume it would be a pain to return.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
3109 posts
2309 upvotes
London
DeletedMemories wrote: just remembered this happened to me at ct years ago... bought some clean cleaning stuff about 6 items all from same company which I liked. Next week they are in the flyer at 30% off. Figure I could just go in with receipt get a price adjustment.
I recall when price adjustments started to become a thing.
People were saying, 'Really? They'll do that?'.
Up until then, it was just your bad luck that it went on sale the next week, and although we might grumble about it, we accepted that as life.

Now there is this expectation that the retailer owes something to you.
Yes, it's great when they will adjust, but they owe you nothing.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
23686 posts
5125 upvotes
Niagara Falls
It always amazes me how crappy some humans really are. Why they would think its appropriate behaviour to purchase an item and return it after they got their intended use out of it for no other reason than they can is beyond me.
May 18, 2018
840 posts
915 upvotes
arisk wrote: I recall when price adjustments started to become a thing.
Up until then, it was just your bad luck that it went on sale the next week, and although we might grumble about it, we accepted that as life.

If the retailer wants to remain competitive then they have to satisfy the customer, so yes they do owe something to you, it's just the rules of the game. Otherwise the customer takes his business elsewhere.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
3109 posts
2309 upvotes
London
PanchoVilla wrote: If the retailer wants to remain competitive then they have to satisfy the customer, so yes they do owe something to you, it's just the rules of the game. Otherwise the customer takes his business elsewhere.
One of the most competitive retailers in existence, Amazon, doesn't do price adjustments.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
21266 posts
6254 upvotes
Poormond Hill
All sales should be final. No returns.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
May 18, 2018
840 posts
915 upvotes
arisk wrote: One of the most competitive retailers in existence, Amazon, doesn't do price adjustments.
Which is why I will always choose to buy elsewhere before I buy on Amazon, certain items at least.

Again, it's all part of the rules of the game, as new competitors emerge, Amazon will change their policies.
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2007
1657 posts
1316 upvotes
Mississauga
arisk wrote: I recall when price adjustments started to become a thing.

yes we take stuff for granted. i do know there are whole countries where once you buy it is yours.

my only thing was that logically if i can return something then a price adjustment would be easier for the retailer. i am left happy that i didnt miss the sale and they dont lose as they still had a sale.
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2007
4007 posts
1352 upvotes
Scarborough
As much as i hate canadian tire, I agree with this practice. I feel walmart, costco, home depot, etc. are too lenient with their return policies.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2013
3026 posts
1670 upvotes
B.C.
flamez1000 wrote: As much as i hate canadian tire, I agree with this practice. I feel walmart, costco, home depot, etc. are too lenient with their return policies.
BUT we need to look at the origin of these policies. Walmart pretty much started the super generous return policy because they started to sell the absolute lowest tier cheap crap they could import from wherever. They know most people won't return it - but for the people that do they're covered. They can go ahead and sell very low quality merchandise without issue since they'll take it back with no hassles.

Canadian Tire is the worst offender. Damn near everything is store brand and if it's crap you're stuck with it. For example there's no way I'm buying a store brand power tool that I can't return once I've tried it.

Anyway the issue here is that Canadian Tire Corporate won't reimburse dealers for returns after Christmas so they have to eat the cost of the return unless the item is defective.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)