• Last Updated:
  • Jul 14th, 2018 12:07 am
[OP]
Jan 3, 2012
21 posts
27 upvotes

[Canadian Tire] NOMA 100W Solar Panel Kit $195

Hey All,

This deal goes live tomorrow, but it is by far the best price I have seen on a 100W Solar kit with a 30AMP Charge Controller! $195 (which is $355 off) plus tomorrow is 20x the points day so you'd get ~$15.60 in points on the purchase!

Working on convincing my wife to pull the trigger on getting it for our trailer! If I miss out due to darn budgets... hopefully some of you dont! :)
29 replies
Sep 26, 2006
692 posts
134 upvotes
North York
buy it first
return it if you are over budget.
Feb 20, 2014
91 posts
35 upvotes
Ottawa
Do these have a plug to push the power back into grid ? or what else do you need to accomplish this.

Thanks
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2005
8179 posts
625 upvotes
Toronto
Not bad, though I can't find if its polycrystalin or not.

Overall speaking, I was going to go all solar on my garden lights, but the cost of panel + charge controller + batteries (need to replace in years), it cost a lot more than electricity even Ontario Hydro rates.

Even the portable solar panel (25W) I bought to charge my cell phones for fun actually costs more than plugging my phone in for 10+yrs. Crazy.
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2005
1221 posts
217 upvotes
tkansara wrote:
Jul 12th, 2018 11:39 am
Do these have a plug to push the power back into grid ? or what else do you need to accomplish this.

Thanks
No, this is designed to charge 12V batteries, like those found in RVs or cars. I'm not familiar with household systems, but I do know you'd need something with far more output to push any meaningful power into the grid.
Feb 20, 2014
91 posts
35 upvotes
Ottawa
zero64 wrote:
Jul 12th, 2018 11:44 am
No, this is designed to charge 12V batteries, like those found in RVs or cars. I'm not familiar with household systems, but I do know you'd need something with far more output to push any meaningful power into the grid.
Ty.
[OP]
Jan 3, 2012
21 posts
27 upvotes
rfdrfd wrote:
Jul 12th, 2018 11:41 am
Based on the picture it looks like a Poly panel, but that's a great price even with the slightly lower efficiency of poly panels.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2005
1073 posts
210 upvotes
Montréal, QC
How large is this panel?
What are the USB ports on the controller for? Can I use them to charge my phone also?
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2008
2435 posts
598 upvotes
rfdrfd wrote:
Jul 12th, 2018 11:41 am

Overall speaking, I was going to go all solar on my garden lights, but the cost of panel + charge controller + batteries (need to replace in years), it cost a lot more than electricity even Ontario Hydro rates.

Even the portable solar panel (25W) I bought to charge my cell phones for fun actually costs more than plugging my phone in for 10+yrs. Crazy.
yea, in small pieces, its def not worth it financially to invest in solar.
Its probably more of an interesting hobby.

I was thinking a cool project would be to mount a few panels as a boat canopy and it charges the battery to a 12V electric trolling motor.
its Win-win as you get free power AND a shaded canopy while out on the water. (might get in the way if you're fishing though)
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2008
2435 posts
598 upvotes
jeffdodds wrote:
Jul 12th, 2018 11:12 am
plus tomorrow is 20x the points day so you'd get ~$15.60 in points on the purchase!
looks like 20x points if you just have the points card.

if you have one of their triangle mastercards, its 30x points - even better!
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
7166 posts
5413 upvotes
Oakville
Keep in mind that CT's "sales" are usually total BS. There are some good deals but regular price is nowhere near their suggested pricing.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2005
8179 posts
625 upvotes
Toronto
SomeOtherDude wrote:
Jul 12th, 2018 12:11 pm
yea, in small pieces, its def not worth it financially to invest in solar.
Its probably more of an interesting hobby.

I was thinking a cool project would be to mount a few panels as a boat canopy and it charges the battery to a 12V electric trolling motor.
its Win-win as you get free power AND a shaded canopy while out on the water. (might get in the way if you're fishing though)
I watched like over 30 Youtube videos on how to start this, and with the cost of wires, batteries, the number of batteries (with loss and degradation), it powers such little appliances or devices.

I guess its fun like on a boat, but you'd still need a large enough panel, a nice sunny day, hours to charge, and then enough batteries. Easily $1000+ project. My entire house's electric bill per month is less than $200. That's with air con for the entire house.
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
14607 posts
4076 upvotes
rfdrfd wrote:
Jul 12th, 2018 12:29 pm
I watched like over 30 Youtube videos on how to start this, and with the cost of wires, batteries, the number of batteries (with loss and degradation), it powers such little appliances or devices.

I guess its fun like on a boat, but you'd still need a large enough panel, a nice sunny day, hours to charge, and then enough batteries. Easily $1000+ project. My entire house's electric bill per month is less than $200. That's with air con for the entire house.
I don't think we are ever going to be at the point where solar for your whole house costs less then 1 month of a $200 bill, since the panels are expected to last 25-30 years that would be 1/300-360th the cost your paying today. Now if it cost less then $60,000-72000 then it would be equivalent to a $200/month bill, though the cost is upfront and it would probably already be competitive with this...
If your planning to move in the next 25-30 years hopefully you can get some of this money back from the next buyer
General Zod for Premier would have been less evil then the other guy