Expired Hot Deals

[Canadian Tire] Noma 7-outlet smart surge protector $14.93 - GTA (Leslie & Lakeshore)

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 15th, 2019 7:23 am
[OP]
Apr 2, 2008
66 posts
52 upvotes

[Canadian Tire] Noma 7-outlet smart surge protector $14.93 - GTA (Leslie & Lakeshore)

This is a 7 outlet surge protector rated at 2520 joules. It is called smart because it is supposed to reduce phantom power usage. You plug your main device (eg TV) into the master outlet. Your other devices (DVD, game box, amplifier, etc) are plugged into the remaining 5 master-controlled outlets. When current flows in the master outlet (ie your TV is turned on), it powers up the master-controlled outlets. When you turn off the main device, the master-controlled outlets are turned off to reduce stand-by power usage. There is a switch to turn off this feature and the device then behaves like a normal powerbar. There is also an additional 7th outlet that is always on and coaxial input and output to protect your cable. It comes with a 5 foot cord with a 90-degree plug and a built-in circuit breaker.

Most Canadian Tires are out of stock or have this item at a higher price. I found the Leslie and Lakeshore Canadian Tire had about 75 units in stock at the end of aisle 31 tonight.
Images
  • DSC_0453.JPG
  • DSC_0454.JPG
  • DSC_0455.JPG
  • DSC_0457.JPG
45 replies
Nov 27, 2010
66 posts
30 upvotes
Vancouver
Unfortunately it's $49.99 at my store. $14 is a great deal!
Dec 24, 2011
291 posts
186 upvotes
toronto
Thanks op got one... still shows 6 in oakville north store.
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2009
1530 posts
834 upvotes
Kitchener
Thanks ordered a few for pickup.

Love the flat plug.
Jun 16, 2017
37 posts
17 upvotes
Markham
I have three of these in my house for two months now. And they are fantastic if you know how to utilize their phantom energy saving feature.
I have one setup behind the tv stand that lets the TV be the master switch.
I also have one setup in my home office that lets the desktop be the master switch.
And i have a third one in the basement for regular power bar duty.

These are $25 clearance in york region canadian tires currently.
chatbox wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 7:20 pm
Looks big...
They are bulky. yes. it's really the only drawback.
Rfd participation history:
Public Mobile 12GB LTE 90 days plan $120
Rockwell 20V Cordless Impact Wrench $114.93
Adidas Stan Smith $76.99
Orient Ray II Automatic Dive Watch $97.54
PIA $29.99/year
Rigid 5HP 4 Gal Portable Shop vac $43.98
Deal Addict
May 16, 2011
2403 posts
1755 upvotes
Clarington
Ordered 2 for Pickup in north Oshawa
Feb 26, 2008
468 posts
27 upvotes
Shows $29.99 in GVA. The price may move to this side of the country later.
Feb 24, 2018
6 posts
1 upvote
Thanks Op.. got one from one near port union, Scarboroug.. it has few in stock..
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2006
1209 posts
1056 upvotes
Toronto
iamhereredflagdeals wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 8:50 pm
I have three of these in my house for two months now. And they are fantastic if you know how to utilize their phantom energy saving feature.
I have one setup behind the tv stand that lets the TV be the master switch.
I also have one setup in my home office that lets the desktop be the master switch.
And i have a third one in the basement for regular power bar duty.

These are $25 clearance in york region canadian tires currently.

They are bulky. yes. it's really the only drawback.
How would this work if you have a PVR from the cable company? If there is no power to the PVR then nothing will record.
[OP]
Apr 2, 2008
66 posts
52 upvotes
As the PVR needs to be always powered in order to record, I have my PVR plugged into the always on plug.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2005
5625 posts
560 upvotes
Ottawa
Isn’t smart = works with google home/Alexa? This one doesn’t seem like it has that capability.
Mar 29, 2005
936 posts
322 upvotes
I saw these a few weeks back... the smart refers to a feature wherein they'll cut power draw on 6 of the outlets when the main "master" outlet isn't drawing much power.

I believe they're meant specifically for home theatre systems. So you put your TV on the 'master' outlet and your speakers, receiver, etc. on the other outlets.

You can turn this feature off, so it's still a decent deal. But yes, this thing is massive. The box you see pictured is the size of a small coffeemaker.