Hot Deals

[Canadian Tire] Now $19.99 5L Full Synthetic Oil - Motomaster by Shell [ +25X Loyalty YMMV ]

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 9th, 2021 11:49 am
[OP]
Dec 22, 2006
27 posts
49 upvotes
Toronto

[Canadian Tire] Now $19.99 5L Full Synthetic Oil - Motomaster by Shell [ +25X Loyalty YMMV ]

CT's flyer preview just dropped for this Friday. Full synthetic oil (5L) for $19.99 on their house brand, Motomaster, made by Shell – that’s an amazing deal in my books for a SOPUS product (same as Quaker State/Pennzoil).

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/all-bran ... vesSCLP_en

EDIT: Looks like there is also a 25X Triangle loyalty offer in the Triangle app, needs to be manually activated. Makes the deal even better if you collect CT money.
*YMMV on loyalty as it seems to be a targeted offer

StockTrack:
0W20
5W20
5W30
5W40
10W30
Images
  • ct_oil_19.jpg
  • IMG_3035.PNG
Last edited by JDM_ES1 on Apr 9th, 2021 11:54 am, edited 5 times in total.
Thread Summary
If you're looking for more options, check out RFD Reviews' list of the best synthetic motor oils for your car!
46 replies
[OP]
Dec 22, 2006
27 posts
49 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks for sharing @EasyCompany251 but I think I'll spend a few extra bucks for a Shell product vs a Warren product. I've seen SOME testing and yes there is the famous projectfarm comparison videos but not sure a homemade bench test rig really gives me that much confidence. You get what you pay for, there's a reason they are the cheapest in the market.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2008
1543 posts
497 upvotes
Guess I will try and see if they have 4w40 in stock. It is usually sold out or they just don't stock it.
May 29, 2017
193 posts
129 upvotes
JDM_ES1 wrote: Thanks for sharing @EasyCompany251 but I think I'll spend a few extra bucks for a Shell product vs a Warren product. I've seen SOME testing and yes there is the famous projectfarm comparison videos but not sure a homemade bench test rig really gives me that much confidence. You get what you pay for, there's a reason they are the cheapest in the market.

I'm 50/50 on that idea "you get what you pay for" it does hold true on some products, but not ideal mindset to go on. Without going into apples to oranges we should consider some products are marked up higher with little justification.

But project farm evaluations are pretty solid. I do agree we are Not sure if its 100% due to we have limited knowledge on his test equipment(or at least i dont know what he's using) but its not like he's using say a Canadian tire multimeter to do his observations...I hope
[OP]
Dec 22, 2006
27 posts
49 upvotes
Toronto
Cnsr0033 wrote: I'm 50/50 on that idea "you get what you pay for" it does hold true on some products, but not ideal mindset to go on. Without going into apples to oranges we should consider some products are marked up higher with little justification.

But project farm evaluations are pretty solid. I do agree we are Not sure if its 100% due to we have limited knowledge on his test equipment(or at least i dont know what he's using) but its not like he's using say a Canadian tire multimeter to do his observations...I hope
First off, I wasn't trying to start a big oil debate - just sharing a good deal.

Definitely not saying projectfarm is not credible (I thoroughly enjoy his contributions and think he's providing consumers with a lot of great information to make their shopping choices), I'm just saying that running a single sample test on a homemade bench rig does not replace hours of lab tests, real engine tests, and in-vehicle testing.

Again, I'm happy spending a few extra bucks for a product that comes from an industry leader that invests in R&D vs a manufacturer that only plays at the bottom.
Yes, "oil is oil" but not all oils are created equally. API is just a MINIMUM standard that manufacturers must meet to don their badge.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2014
1508 posts
1956 upvotes
Atlantic
JDM_ES1 wrote: API is just a MINIMUM standard
And yet car manufacturers specify the API standards for use in their cars.

Unfortunately, I doubt there will be any really scientific studies/comparisons between oils. It would likely require a lot of equipment to conduct standardized testing on the various brands of oil.
[OP]
Dec 22, 2006
27 posts
49 upvotes
Toronto
EasyCompany251 wrote: And yet car manufacturers specify the API standards for use in their cars.

Unfortunately, I doubt there will be any really scientific studies/comparisons between oils. It would likely require a lot of equipment to conduct standardized testing on the various brands of oil.
Agreed.

And yes, car manufacturers reference the API standards but it still does not mean all oils that meet the requirement will perform the same.
Dec 23, 2013
65 posts
57 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks! Gladly will spend the extra 5 so i dont have to be anywhere near wal-mart.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
6065 posts
2408 upvotes
West GTEH!
Good deal if you need SYN Oil now.
😎
Dec 4, 2010
364 posts
81 upvotes
Montreal
How would CT oil compare to Kirkland? And wouldn't $6 extra for M1 in Walmart be a better choice?
Jan 10, 2006
481 posts
267 upvotes
JDM_ES1 wrote: Full synthetic oil (5L) for $19.99 on their house brand, Motomaster, made by Shell
Decent deal. How did you determine it is made by Shell? The description says "developed with Shell Technology", which to me could mean anything in marketing-speak...
[OP]
Dec 22, 2006
27 posts
49 upvotes
Toronto
fizikz wrote: Decent deal. How did you determine it is made by Shell? The description says "developed with Shell Technology", which to me could mean anything in marketing-speak...
There are a few posts on BITOG (bob is the oil guy) discussing this product but it's also mentioned in the MSDS sheet: https://www.canadiantire.ca/content/dam ... 15P_EN.pdf
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2008
1141 posts
896 upvotes
Airdrie
As long as it meets your vehicles requirements this stuff is entirely sufficient for 99% of users.
[OP]
Dec 22, 2006
27 posts
49 upvotes
Toronto
Sahara888 wrote: How would CT oil compare to Kirkland? And wouldn't $6 extra for M1 in Walmart be a better choice?
Kirkland (Costco) uses the same supplier as SuperTech (Walmart) = Warren Distribution
Motomaster (CT) = Shell

To your question on M1 for an extra $6-$7, they all meet industry standards as everyone has mentioned but depends on if you see Exxon > Shell (Also Mobil bottles are 4.73 L only).
May 29, 2017
193 posts
129 upvotes
JDM_ES1 wrote: First off, I wasn't trying to start a big oil debate - just sharing a good deal.

Definitely not saying projectfarm is not credible (I thoroughly enjoy his contributions and think he's providing consumers with a lot of great information to make their shopping choices), I'm just saying that running a single sample test on a homemade bench rig does not replace hours of lab tests, real engine tests, and in-vehicle testing.

Again, I'm happy spending a few extra bucks for a product that comes from an industry leader that invests in R&D vs a manufacturer that only plays at the bottom.

Yes, "oil is oil" but not all oils are created equally. API is just a MINIMUM standard that manufacturers must meet to don their badge.
I was actually agreeing with you. Just the whole "get what you pay for" isn't always good posture...easy example beats by dre and as you mentioned, we really don't know the standards of PF tests but again im sure they are good enough. Either way I deviated from the main discussion.
Jul 14, 2016
55 posts
37 upvotes
fizikz wrote: Decent deal. How did you determine it is made by Shell? The description says "developed with Shell Technology", which to me could mean anything in marketing-speak...
they have the shell logo on them AFAIK.
moto g8 power blackberry 9900 as hotspot as I lost the sim tray like an idiot, on public mobile 4GB/120$ (with tax!)/3 months
[OP]
Dec 22, 2006
27 posts
49 upvotes
Toronto
Cnsr0033 wrote: I was actually agreeing with you. Just the whole "get what you pay for" isn't always good posture...easy example beats by dre and as you mentioned, we really don't know the standards of PF tests but again im sure they are good enough. Either way I deviated from the main discussion.
All good my friend! Sorry for sounding defensive :)
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2009
1576 posts
1330 upvotes
Ottawa
Worth checking and activating your Triangle rewards if buying.

Right now I have: 10x on Oil & Change, Fuel Accs (w/ expiry on the 8th)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)