None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2012
1848 posts
524 upvotes
Montreal

CANADIAN TIRE OPTIONS® MASTERCARD® versus MBNA RWE for construction

My friend does a lot of construction and uses the Canadian Tire card for some of his purchases.
He says the value he gets back because of the tons of Candian Tire dollars is excellent. I looked at the page

https://customer.ctfs.com//Products/Cre ... asterCard/

and it does show some great remuneration via CT dollars...

which got me thinking, how does a card like this compare to the MBNA 2 % cash back... if he switched, would he come ahead, or is he better using the CT card because he has to buy so much materials for construction?
5 replies
Mar 19, 2015
293 posts
58 upvotes
The regular grey Options card is 0.8% return on purchases outside CT family stores, and 4% in CT family stores.
The Options World (black card) which is obtained by invite only, gives 1% return on outside CT family stores, and 4% in.
MBNA RWE is 2% back everywhere, but has an annual fee ($89?)
Unless he's buying construction materials at CT he's better off with RWE.
If he is buying materials at CT, I would be interested in exactly what materials he could be buying at CT.

Basically he has to do the math on the amount he spends at CT as apposed to how much he spends elsewhere. That's the only way he'll know for sure which card brings him out further ahead.
Just don't forget to factor in the annual fee on the MBNA.
Does he also use his CT card for gas at CT pumps for 5 cents back on every litre of gas purchased?
This is another thing that adds up quickly!
I pumped $40 in gas the other day (didn't pay attention to how many litres), and I got $1.80 in CT money on the card. Do the math. That's a pretty good return.
eonibm wrote: Quite a few people don't know what they are talking about and someone has to put them in line.
Jun 26, 2012
456 posts
81 upvotes
canada
^ agree - there are only so many things you can buy at canadian tire, it's not a Home Depot or Rona or Gregg Distributors... CT doesn't have everything.. So you have to calculate which place has the most construction materials. AFAIK canadian tire doesn't even sell lumber or drywall. But things like construction glue, caulking, etc. sure you can get at canadian tire.
Mar 19, 2015
293 posts
58 upvotes
As a side note, something that just donned on me, another thing to factor is that CT rewards on pretax amount for purchases at CT, whereas the MBNA would reward on the full amount charged because they can't tell how much of the purchase is tax.
Reward for outside of CT purchases wouldn't change.
eonibm wrote: Quite a few people don't know what they are talking about and someone has to put them in line.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2012
1848 posts
524 upvotes
Montreal
I read that CT rounds down the value of the amount they give you CT dollars back on?
Mar 19, 2015
293 posts
58 upvotes
gogoblender wrote: I read that CT rounds down the value of the amount they give you CT dollars back on?
I haven't paid attention to that, but there is a person in the "Pay Your Bills Using CT card" thread saying CT changed that recently apparently. I don't know if that's fact or not.