Oscillating Tool - Mastercraft 2.2A Corded Multi-Crafter - $39.99

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 6th, 2020 9:13 pm
[OP]
Aug 23, 2015
226 posts
130 upvotes
GTA

[Canadian Tire] Oscillating Tool - Mastercraft 2.2A Corded Multi-Crafter - $39.99

Ran across it as was looking at saws. Fairly good reviews, should be OK for around the house.
The large print giveth, the small print taketh away
19 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2004
1115 posts
1982 upvotes
Ontario
Been looking for one of these to cut some holes in drywall, thanks for sharing! Glad I saw this.
May 3, 2015
160 posts
187 upvotes
This is a must-have power tool to have IMHO.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2008
5037 posts
1715 upvotes
This is total junk, FWIW.

My dad bought one a few months ago (he buys all the Mastercraft stuff that goes 70% off)

The blades suck (to be expected) and it'll overheat if you're doing anything but light-duty MDF or drywall. If you need to notch out wood, it'll stall the second you apply any pressure.
Let's hug it out
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
7511 posts
8074 upvotes
Vancouver
Not sure. I could use one, but reviews are a bit mixed. It has a problematic hex-key bolt system for securing blades rather than a quick-release, and many of the reviews say that the included accessories are junk.

I'd like to see the miracle power system in action though, as promised by the spec: "Corded/Cordless: No" :)
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
7511 posts
8074 upvotes
Vancouver
mindabsence wrote: Been looking for one of these to cut some holes in drywall, thanks for sharing! Glad I saw this.
Make sure you get a set of drywall blades Apparently cutting drywall destroys wood/metal cutting blades, and goes through drywall-specific blades pretty quickly.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2002
6384 posts
6801 upvotes
Toronto
Scote64 wrote: Not sure. I could use one, but reviews are a bit mixed. It has a problematic hex-key bolt system for securing blades rather than a quick-release, and many of the reviews say that the included accessories are junk.
I have a hex key blade attach nut on my Bosch and a tool-less quick-release on another oscillation tool. I much prefer the hex-key approach -- though this Mastercraft might have a poor implementation.
Si Tacuisses, Philosophus Mansisses
Jul 29, 2006
503 posts
669 upvotes
Ottawa
I have one of these that I bought a few years ago. I can't say it's exactly the same anymore. Mine works very well and I have used to cut holes in drywall, cut stubborn ABS pipe under the kitchen sink, undercut baseboard and doorways to install laminate. This is all done using the original blades that came with the unit. Yes, they now need replacing. The hex bolt used to hold the blades on has not caused me any issues at all. I would recommend.
Oct 29, 2010
438 posts
659 upvotes
Quebec
This is kinda weak at 2.2A but hard ot beat for the price. I had the 2.5A version, does the job well for light stuff, but borderline ok otherwise.
Mar 12, 2012
636 posts
749 upvotes
Belleville
I have this unit, purchased last time Canadian Tire had their million-% off sale. Normally I stay clear of Mastercraft tools, but I needed this for one specific job, and it was cheap enough (versus competitors) that I took the risk.

I really like it. It's one of those tools that I've been super (happily) surprised by. I used it to flush cut a bunch of 2X6's (or 2X8's - can't recall) from an old deck. It had no problems doing it, never overheated or stalled.

For sure, the blade quality is cheap, signs of wearing on mine after the first project, but it finished my task without issue.
Oct 29, 2010
438 posts
659 upvotes
Quebec
Anyway these tools will eat blades very quickly, cheap or not.
Nov 10, 2003
895 posts
326 upvotes
I have a corded Mastercraft oscillating tool kit I purchased about 5 years ago that has the hex blade attachment. Other than the hex nut working itself loose a couple times, I've never had an issue with it stalling, overheating, etc and I've gone through ABS, drywall, wood, copper pipe, and even nails with the blades that have come with the set. I've replaced the metal cutting blades but other than that, the tool continues to work flawlessly. Then again, I purchased this a number of years back and I can't speak to the current model.
Deal Guru
Apr 11, 2006
11118 posts
5480 upvotes
Vaughan
Do these things have any issue cutting into laminate flooring?

I have a few pieces already installed in a middle row, that would be a pain to remove all the rows to get to. I need to cut those pieces a little shorter on the edge.
Apr 25, 2016
113 posts
144 upvotes
RCGA wrote: This is total junk, FWIW.

My dad bought one a few months ago (he buys all the Mastercraft stuff that goes 70% off)

The blades suck (to be expected) and it'll overheat if you're doing anything but light-duty MDF or drywall. If you need to notch out wood, it'll stall the second you apply any pressure.
Yes, this is junk. Basiaclly a $40 toy that will break. I went through 2 during a renovation last year.
My dad has the older mastercraft version that has lasted years, but anything I have bought at Canadian Tire since their "rebrand" of light blue Mastercraft has been absolute junk.
I ended up picking up a Rigid for $89 to finish the job and have used it plenty of times since. Well worth the extra few dollars and works much better/stronger.
Canadian tire/Mastercraft and their ridiculous MSRP and horrible, unsafe, junk tools should be avoided at all costs in my opinion.
Sep 16, 2017
253 posts
328 upvotes
Toronto
Bought one last year for 29.99. Ended up returning it. For light duty only
Mar 13, 2006
498 posts
479 upvotes
I don't have a reciprocating saw and used this mastercraft tool to trim branches from my yard. Worked like a charm.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2004
2240 posts
761 upvotes
Montreal
Used this Mastercraft tool extensively for many reno projects and it still works fine. Never had a problem with it.

Sure you need to buy more blades, but that's expected.
There are some cheap blades on eBay...
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
3208 posts
1174 upvotes
Lévis

I've stoped buying mastercraft stuff when I realised they are mostly (if not all) crap.
Pourquoi pas?
Mar 7, 2011
42 posts
8 upvotes
Edmonton
Purchased for in store pick up this morning around 9am MST, and just got an email saying it was cancelled and the product was no longer available. Anyone else get this?
Jun 6, 2019
176 posts
277 upvotes

same as my ryobi

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)