• Jul 10th, 2009 1:40 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
May 23, 2006
532 posts
55 upvotes

Canadian Tire PM policy

Hello. On June 3rd my wife and I paid $1k for a Laz-y-boy Jameson outdoor patio set. The set is in this week's flyer, but now if you buy it you get $215 in bonus gift cards. Can I take my receipt back and ask for the bonus gift card?
5 replies
May 4, 2004
493 posts
51 upvotes
yup, they have a 90 day return policy.
Basically, if they don't give you the gifts cards with the receipt, explain to them that you could return it and then repurchase it under the sale.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2004
2153 posts
355 upvotes
cdooer wrote: Hello. On June 3rd my wife and I paid $1k for a Laz-y-boy Jameson outdoor patio set. The set is in this week's flyer, but now if you buy it you get $215 in bonus gift cards. Can I take my receipt back and ask for the bonus gift card?
With my experience with Canadian Tire, you will probably have to call their bluff. They will most likely tell you to repackage it up and return it hoping that you'll not bother. (Such a customer-unfriendly company) Hopefully they'll have the item in stock because then you can just march back, buy it, bring it to the front and return it with the old receipt.

Use your judgment when talking to the CSR if s/he is a PITA because they "may" catch on and say that the second one bought isn't the same one returned and not allow it. Then when you try to return the first one, they'll say it was used and "not in original condition" and deny that return. So you may have to be sneaky about buying it and returning it in that they don't catch on.

If this happens to you, buy the new one and return the new one at another store with the old bill.

Some people on here have good luck with CT. For me, they are on my eternal dislike list. Good Luck. You "may" need it.
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
19733 posts
2471 upvotes
Chookman wrote: Use your judgment when talking to the CSR if s/he is a PITA because they "may" catch on and say that the second one bought isn't the same one returned and not allow it. Then when you try to return the first one, they'll say it was used and "not in original condition" and deny that return. So you may have to be sneaky about buying it and returning it in that they don't catch on.
So then ask for the PM bringing in your old receipt saying saying you have it unopened. If they deny / call bluff, then buy one at a different CT at current sale price, and return to the jackass store using old receipt.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2004
2153 posts
355 upvotes
brunes wrote: So then ask for the PM bringing in your old receipt saying saying you have it unopened. If they deny / call bluff, then buy one at a different CT at current sale price, and return to the jackass store using old receipt.
That's extra driving/time compared to buying one right there and returning it but well worth it to me to stick that store with extra stock if they are being uncooperative.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2004
1491 posts
582 upvotes
North Vancouver
I purchased a Seabreeze Turbo-Aire at CT just over a month ago and they wouldn't PM London Drugs (25% this week). IMHO the return policy time frame should be the same as the price protection time frame so you don't have to play purchase/return games.

On the otherhand, I had a pleasant experience doing a price match on a Weber Q300 BBQ at Home Depot today. I purchased it over a month ago and it went on sale at 20% off today. The CSR just did a refund at the old price and a new transaction for the new price without any hassle. :)