Expired Hot Deals

[Canadian Tire] Portable Tire Inflator $9.99

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 22nd, 2020 5:15 pm
May 28, 2016
175 posts
160 upvotes
Toronto
I've only used this a few times but here are my thoughts...

PROS:
- cheap

CONS:
- slow (low airflow) since it's a top-off inflator
- air hose is extremely short so the inflator is dangling & rattling against your rims most of the time depending on wheel/valve stem orientation
- screw-on chuck is annoying to use as someone else pointed out
- built-in pressure gauge is inaccurate so always verify with a separate gauge

Note: I don't see a need to get something better atm so I'll probably keep using this until it breaks (will also carry a high-volume bicycle pump as a backup, lol).
Deal Addict
May 13, 2005
1579 posts
468 upvotes
Toronto
These cheapo inflators might be good for an emergency kit but they're loud, painfully slow, and inaccurate.
Jan 26, 2010
351 posts
101 upvotes
3x as much but a tank to have. No bounce on the concrete when inflating and it feels like it has quality built into it. https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/ ... -p8670994e

This one along with all others in this $$ range (including the OPs) are all made in China, we all roll the dice on how long they last... OPs could be better and im not here to duece on the thread. Only thing I say to myself is I'm guilt free returning a defect to PA up to 2 years later. They are the costco of cool tools. OP you still get my upvote good deal for 10 bucks.
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2013
1752 posts
1227 upvotes
condo
I do it the real RFD way and blow up my tires by mouth. Cheaper = better and Free = best /s ;)
Images
  • man-checking-tire.jpg
  • inflate-bicycle-tyre-man-retro-600w-203881525.jpg
Last edited by tmonies on Sep 21st, 2020 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jul 22, 2020
274 posts
30 upvotes
craeyon wrote: Do yourself a favour and buy this one. It is currently on sale. https://www.homedepot.ca/product/milwau ... 1001128921

Tire inflators are not to be messed around with. Cheap ones can be dangerous as they don't indicate the right PSI on their gauges.

Why do people cheap out on important hardware like this?

Here is a comparison:

EDIT: To the people saying you are comparing an expensive item to a $10 item. That's the point - good things cost money and the Milwaukee one is on sale so it is relevant to the spirit of saving money on RedFlagDeals.
Do you think its ok to top up or even fill up an airbed?

(which btw I'm trying to repair... Has 6-8in ☓ 6-8in hold in it... Any suggestions on what material to use, as i dont have a spare airbed to cut out of, and also which glue/adhesive to use? Its made of polyurethane or PVC etc and some glues/adhesives dont work with both or one of those...)
Jul 22, 2020
274 posts
30 upvotes
caltran wrote: I bought the deluxe Ryobi one. Works a treat. Even inflates large tires really quickly. I bought the smaller one for my bike tires.
Whats the link to the ryobi one?

This one from CT, its for a car right? Have you seen a car socket to wall plug adapter anywhere for dirt cheap?!
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
2468 posts
2641 upvotes
GTA
For $10 this is a great buy to throw in your car, and another for the wife's car. I have something similar from at least 10 years back and it still works. Definitely slow but perfect if your tire has a slow leak and you just want to go get it repaired without calling a tow truck.
c'mon get happy!
Deal Addict
Feb 27, 2008
1030 posts
481 upvotes
Prince Edward County…
CT is probably clearing these because of the bad reviews/experiences. 2 stars, several reviewers had it just burn out after 2-3 uses.

I top up my car tires with a quality bicycle pump. It has an accurate gauge and needs no power. Sure it's work but I almost never get enough exercise anyway.
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2007
26824 posts
6085 upvotes
Hamilton
craeyon wrote: Do yourself a favour and buy this one. It is currently on sale. https://www.homedepot.ca/product/milwau ... 1001128921

Tire inflators are not to be messed around with. Cheap ones can be dangerous as they don't indicate the right PSI on their gauges.

Why do people cheap out on important hardware like this?

Here is a comparison:

EDIT: To the people saying you are comparing an expensive item to a $10 item. That's the point - good things cost money and the Milwaukee one is on sale so it is relevant to the spirit of saving money on RedFlagDeals.
As long the tire pressure light goes away after inflating with $5 pump. Then we Gucci
$35/10GB Koodo
$120/3Months PM
May 21, 2011
98 posts
97 upvotes
GreenLean wrote: Do you think its ok to top up or even fill up an airbed?

(which btw I'm trying to repair... Has 6-8in ☓ 6-8in hold in it... Any suggestions on what material to use, as i dont have a spare airbed to cut out of, and also which glue/adhesive to use? Its made of polyurethane or PVC etc and some glues/adhesives dont work with both or one of those...)
I used a repair kit available at CT to repair my air mattress. Worked very well.
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2010
2025 posts
1485 upvotes
GTA
BernardRyder wrote: For $10 this is a great buy to throw in your car, and another for the wife's car. I have something similar from at least 10 years back and it still works. Definitely slow but perfect if your tire has a slow leak and you just want to go get it repaired without calling a tow truck.
I would personally recommend taking a step up to this one:
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/cert ... c=true#spc
(when its on sale it should be ~$15-$20).
It is slow but does not have the term 'top-up' in the title.

I bought these for the throw in the car and forget type of purchase because I expect to use it once a year max. I have personally used it and find it to be the right balance value, at least for me.

Also get yourself a good booster cable to go with it (lower gauge means thicket cable, costs more but you will thank yourself when it actually works). e.g. of a reasonable one:
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/moto ... 1207p.html

My TLDR situation was, I got a cheap booster cable and it did not work in the winter when trying to jump, called CAA and it jumped.
Bought a good cable like this and the next time it jumped fine.
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2007
1243 posts
255 upvotes
45.467253°N, 75.5123…
Psykopathik wrote: Rather keep a bike pump in the car.
... and pray you don't have to use during winter