• Last Updated:
  • Mar 31st, 2020 3:11 am
[OP]
Jul 26, 2008
318 posts
325 upvotes
Montreal

[Canadian Tire] Poulan PL3314 chainsaw 33cc box (42cc inside !) $119.93

A marvel of engineering the Poulan p3314 33cc on the box, 42cc inside ! saw on liquidation at Canadian Tire for $119 at selected stores. find inventory here : https://stocktrack.ca/?s=ct&q=0545728

I got my Dads old one, thought it was just good for dumpster. I took it apart and with no skill I managed to get it back working with the help of a few youtube videos. ( this one is complete tear down and rebuild

In the process of rebuilding this saw, my biggest issue was finding the bolts I lost in my messy garage, I did find a few interesting things about this saw.

Most of Poulan chainsaw have the same 42 cc motor and it only the chain bar length and the model numbers on the box the varies the parts inside are all the same.
This saw does not have good reputation, not indented for sustained usage but for the DIY it great. references : https://www.arboristsite.com/community/ ... st-3142746

Some simple mods can , such a muffler tweaking can bring out the power of 42 cc engine that's really inside and the 33cc as indicated on the box. Overview of mod seen here :

After all the fuss with the rebuild I went to purchase a blade file at my local cnd tire and I see : Image If time is money is cheaper buying new but not as fun.

After all is said and done the saw works well except its biggest flaw, the chain oiler is not adjustable and it's always pissing bar oil, indicated in blue below. Keeping the chainsaw on its side with bar up stop the bar oil from leaking out.

The resurrection :
23 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2005
3554 posts
3778 upvotes
Abbotsford, B.C.
a tip I recently got was to use canola oil as the bar lube. It's thinner so you will use more, but it's cheaper than bar oil and makes your work smell like french fries
shorter of breath and one day closer to death
May 3, 2008
997 posts
362 upvotes
Perth
Never buy a Poulan chainsaw... learned my lesson years ago, they are garbage. Spend the extra money and go with a reliable Stihl or Husqvarna that will last you many years or a lifetime.
Dec 24, 2007
721 posts
297 upvotes
Kingston
To each their own, back when I lived out east I used a crappy little Poulain for years around the yard... Fell a few dozen trees with it and never had any issues. Yes the EZ chain adjust mechanism is crap and would back off, but nothing you couldn't remedy on the spot with a few seconds of extra work. Would you wanna use this to make a living in forestry? Hell no! Does it work perfectly fine for an (above?) average homeowner? Absolutely!!

If you wanna spend $250+ on a better brand fill your boots, but for under $100 with use around the yard, there is nothing wrong with this saw.
Nov 10, 2003
654 posts
231 upvotes
BC, Canada
Looks like people have issues with the carb adjustments for the EPA regs and it stalling. Best to adjust it. Don't lean it out or it will sieze
I have a $75 refurb enroute
Oct 19, 2008
74 posts
28 upvotes
Fall River, Nova Sco…
Giving you a like just for the effort put into this post.
Feb 1, 2013
112 posts
152 upvotes
Ottawa
You'll get better fuel mileage out of a Stilh if your use it alot.
Feb 2, 2015
140 posts
81 upvotes
Victoria, BC
I've had one for 10 years. Used it probably 100 times. It's always started right away and ran great. For $120 bucks (which is around what I paid too) this thing is amazing.
Mar 31, 2008
869 posts
571 upvotes
Airdrie
Thanks for the interesting post/read.
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2009
1892 posts
807 upvotes
Ontario
Thanks OP and thanked.

Reminder: add a filler of $5.07 or more and pay with Masterpass will get you a $25 Canadiantire gift card, promotion will expire on April 29.
Currently happy customer with Koodo, Freedom and Zoomer Wireless, any questions just pm me.
May 27, 2005
110 posts
12 upvotes
Markham
Interesting read! I tried a Poulan Pro a few years ago and it was terrible for me. Hard to start, loved to stall etc. and ended up returning it. Went with a Stihl MS170 and never looked back!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 23, 2009
5161 posts
1998 upvotes
Headbeancounter wrote: Thanks OP and thanked.

Reminder: add a filler of $5.07 or more and pay with Masterpass will get you a $25 Canadiantire gift card, promotion will expire on April 29.
How do you get the gift card? I used Masterpass but no gift card was offered
Thanks
EDIT
Looks like it will be mailed later? But there was no word about this on checkout.

https://www.redflagdeals.com/deal/home- ... l-29-2020/
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2009
1892 posts
807 upvotes
Ontario
lifeisfuneh wrote: How do you get the gift card? I used Masterpass but no gift card was offered
Thanks
EDIT
Looks like it will be mailed later? But there was no word about this on checkout.

https://www.redflagdeals.com/deal/home- ... l-29-2020/

Yes, last time I used Masterpass to make a purchase of over $125 on Canadiantire.ca, I received the gift card in the mail, there was no acknowledgement when I checked out.
Currently happy customer with Koodo, Freedom and Zoomer Wireless, any questions just pm me.