Shopping Discussion

canadian tire - price adjustment on an item that goes on sale a few weeks later?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 28th, 2018 7:59 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2005
3375 posts
155 upvotes
Toronto

canadian tire - price adjustment on an item that goes on sale a few weeks later?

I purchased a bookshelf from canadian tire about 2.5 weeks ago. The item of course goes on sale this past week. I called canadian tire and told them I want to to get a price adjustment - they tell me that unless its within 2 weeks of purchase, I won't be able to get a price adjustment to the sale price.

Question - what prevents me from buying the same item that I have now at the sale price, then returning it when the original receipt? I was hoping that they would honor the price adjustment as I am only about 4 days outside of the window.
35 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2007
3036 posts
214 upvotes
Surrey
kingrukus wrote: I purchased a bookshelf from canadian tire about 2.5 weeks ago. The item of course goes on sale this past week. I called canadian tire and told them I want to to get a price adjustment - they tell me that unless its within 2 weeks of purchase, I won't be able to get a price adjustment to the sale price.

Question - what prevents me from buying the same item that I have now at the sale price, then returning it when the original receipt? I was hoping that they would honor the price adjustment as I am only about 4 days outside of the window.

If the price went up, would it be fair for them to do something so they could get the extra dollars from you? Would you think it was okay for them to modify the terms of their price match/protection policy so it was 4 days short, to prevent you from getting a refund if they dropped their price after 10 days? Their price matching/protection policy is 14 days. That's quite reasonable, and more than many other retailers offer.

What's stopping you from buying a new item at the lower price and then returning that same item with the original receipt? Besides the fact that would be fraud by misrepresentation, you mean? Yes, it would be fraud, because you would be representing the second item as that which was purchased with the first receipt and getting a greater refund than you paid for that item.

Why not just gasp return the original item - you're well within the 90 days. Let me guess...you don't want to go to the trouble of dismantling it and repackaging it?

Sorry to say, but yeah...it's sucky when the price drops just after you buy something...almost as bad when something breaks just outside the warranty period. However, these things happen. You're not entitled to a price adjustment, plain and simple. You are entitled to make a return under their policy, but it requires some effort on your part.

Good luck.
Banned
Sep 22, 2008
8322 posts
548 upvotes
iamnotamerican.com wrote: If the price went up, would it be fair for them to do something so they could get the extra dollars from you? Would you think it was okay for them to modify the terms of their price match/protection policy so it was 4 days short, to prevent you from getting a refund if they dropped their price after 10 days? Their price matching/protection policy is 14 days. That's quite reasonable, and more than many other retailers offer.

What's stopping you from buying a new item at the lower price and then returning that same item with the original receipt? Besides the fact that would be fraud by misrepresentation, you mean? Yes, it would be fraud, because you would be representing the second item as that which was purchased with the first receipt and getting a greater refund than you paid for that item.

Why not just gasp return the original item - you're well within the 90 days. Let me guess...you don't want to go to the trouble of dismantling it and repackaging it?

Sorry to say, but yeah...it's sucky when the price drops just after you buy something...almost as bad when something breaks just outside the warranty period. However, these things happen. You're not entitled to a price adjustment, plain and simple. You are entitled to make a return under their policy, but it requires some effort on your part.

Good luck.

it is not fraud unless he gets caught
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2007
3036 posts
214 upvotes
Surrey
packardbell wrote: it is not fraud unless he gets caught

So, by your thinking, I can siphon money out of your bank account, or steal your identity and rack up all sorts of bad credit in your name, but as long as I don't get caught, it's all A-OK?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2005
3375 posts
155 upvotes
Toronto
Cool thanks for the help. I called customer service and they said I cannot return if I already opened the original bookcase, I guess I am out of luck.
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
11038 posts
1474 upvotes
Brampton
kingrukus wrote: I called customer service and they said I cannot return if I already opened the original bookcase, I guess I am out of luck.
No you're not. Buy the bookcase that's on sale & return the one that you just purchased not the one you already opened with the old receipt :lol:

BTW I can't stand some of CT's policies & there are always ways to go around them :)
The OFFICIAL Hardwood Flooring Thread
Voted RFD "Most Helpful Thread of 2012"
Jul 5, 2004
25966 posts
5083 upvotes
patrob wrote: No you're not. Buy the bookcase that's on sale & return the one that you just purchased not the one you already opened with the old receipt :lol:

BTW I can't stand some of CT's policies & there are always ways to go around them :)

There's no such thing as a guaranteed refund with CT though. If he buys a 2nd bookshelf, they may very well tell him they're not taking it back. CT is known to ignore their return policy on a regular basis. If they suspect the OP is doing the return to get money back for a past purchase, they might say no, and then suddenly the OP is stuck with 2 bookshelves.

Just suck it up. You're outside the price match period, just accept it and move on. These things happen.
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2001
15556 posts
1024 upvotes
packardbell wrote: it is not fraud unless he gets caught
It wouldn't even be fraud if he didn't lie about returning it to buy again at the lower price and just said something generic like he "didn't want it" which is true since he wants the, other, cheaper one.
patrob wrote: No you're not. Buy the bookcase that's on sale & return the one that you just purchased not the one you already opened with the old receipt :lol:
:arrowd:
Shaner wrote: There's no such thing as a guaranteed refund with CT though. If he buys a 2nd bookshelf, they may very well tell him they're not taking it back. CT is known to ignore their return policy on a regular basis. If they suspect the OP is doing the return to get money back for a past purchase, they might say no, and then suddenly the OP is stuck with 2 bookshelves.

+1 these franchised stores (I've read the same thing about SDM) are the worst for honouring corporate policy and since the franchisees seem to have corporate by the balls HQ won't do anything.

All the more reason I:

a) Shop at true chain stores like Wal-Mart, Costco, Superstore etc

b) Almost without exception only buy something when it hits that eye popping "wow that's about as cheap as it's going to get" even to the extent of having a lawn chair in my living room as my main chair for about a month until I saw a lounger chair on clearance for cheap at RCSS.

If they're going to play these penny pinching capitalist games so can I and drive the price as low as possible.
Should we have open retail markets to bring more UK and US retailers to Canada?wegmans-tops-trader-joes-americas-favou ... #p27788812
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2007
3036 posts
214 upvotes
Surrey
NG wrote: It wouldn't even be fraud if he didn't lie about returning it to buy again at the lower price and just said something generic like he "didn't want it" which is true since he wants the, other, cheaper one.
However, if he presents the newly purchased item for a refund, using the first, and higher valued receipt, that is where the fraud comes in. The receipt he is presenting is not the receipt for the item he is returning. Sure, it's something similar, but it's not the item.

You'll notice pretty much any retailer's return policy states you must "return the item...", and not "return a similar item" or "return an item of like kind and quality" or words to that effect. The expectation is clear - return the item you bought with the receipt for that purchase.

It's past the price protection time period. Crap happens...prices go up, prices go down. Big kids deal with that sort of thing without feeling the need to prostitute themselves for a few dollars, and move on.
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2001
15556 posts
1024 upvotes
iamnotamerican.com wrote: However, if he presents the newly purchased item for a refund, using the first, and higher valued receipt, that is where the fraud comes in...

And if he pulled out a gun and demanded all the money from the till that'd be where robbery comes in.

However, as I said, if he didn't lie there'd be no fraud since he just returned the first item and re-bought the cheaper one. That's just playing the same capitalist game they're playing.

I often keep my products packaged and sealed till the last few days of the return policy with the bill taped to it unless I know it's a store that won't care if I returned it opened (unlike CT) in case the price drops.
Should we have open retail markets to bring more UK and US retailers to Canada?wegmans-tops-trader-joes-americas-favou ... #p27788812
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2007
3036 posts
214 upvotes
Surrey
NG wrote: However, as I said, if he didn't lie there'd be no fraud since he just returned the first item and re-bought the cheaper one. That's just playing the same capitalist game they're playing.
If he returned the first one with the original receipt, that's one thing. Returning the second one with the first receipt is not the same thing. That is where the fraud comes in. It has nothing to do with capitalist games, but if you don't like capitalism, there are still a few communist countries you could move to. However, since this is Canada, and it is a capitalist society, it's only reasonable to play be those capitalist rules. :-0
I often keep my products packaged and sealed till the last few days of the return policy with the bill taped to it unless I know it's a store that won't care if I returned it opened (unlike CT) in case the price drops.
Sounds like a smart, and perfectly legitimate step to take.
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2001
15556 posts
1024 upvotes
iamnotamerican.com wrote: If he returned the first one with the original receipt, that's one thing. Returning the second one with the first receipt is not the same thing.
I never said otherwise. I did say that it wouldn't be fraud if he was able to just return the first opened one since there's no lying involved if he kept his reason for return vague.

You're inferring that I said something I clearly didn't since in order for him not to lie he would have had to return the first product and simply state he "didn't want it" (which would be true since he'd want the second identical cheaper item).
but if you don't like capitalism, there are still a few communist countries you could move to.
Really?
Oct 18, 2008
433 posts
126 upvotes
Vancouver Island
I went through a similar situation with Canadian Tire, being a few days past the 2 week policy. I looked at the CSR with a puzzled look and asked why Canadian Tire had only a 2 week guarantee on their own prices, where as the competition ie: Home Depot, etc. has 30 days.........I was given the difference.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2003
6871 posts
3357 upvotes
Moncton, NB
Wow this happened to me last week, We bought a 500$ electric fireplace. When I bought it 1+ month ago I asked the sales rep if they come on sale sometime. He said usually before Christmas but I had 90 days to return/exchange.

Anyway. Borrowed a truck, bought it, drove home (40 min drive) and now it's all wrapped up for Xmas.

Well this week (starting last Friday) it was on sale for 299$... It's been 1 month an 3 days that I bought it. Getting 200$ back would have be sweet!

I went to Canadian tire with the original receipt because I wanted to do a price adjustment. I figured it was 90 days because of the return policy.

I went to customer service, asked the woman for a price adjustment. She checked the receipt and said "I'm sorry it's 21 day policy for price adjustments". So I asked to see the written policy and she said they didn't have any.

I asked if it was possible to get one sent down and I would buy it again and just return this one with my original receipt. She said "What is the item?" and I replied that it was a fireplace.

She said I couldn't do that but she would call a manager to check. The manager came down. I asked him if it was possible to have a price adjustment because it was a 90 day return/exchange and since they didn't have a written policy about price adjustment if it was OK if I would just buy it again and return it with my receipt because I would have to borrow a truck again. I couldn't fit that 100lbs fireplace in my honda civic. (laughing while I said it)

The first thing that came out of his mouth was that I was doing fraud and was dishonest trying to return something with someone else receipt. He said I was trying to steal from the store etc... I looked at him and said that it was my receipt since my debit card was on the receipt and that I wasn't trying to do fraud I was asking about my options at this point.

Then he asked me if I had the fireplace that I bought and I told him where we lived and that it was all wrapped up for Christmas so I couldn't really bring it down with my Honda civic. He was so rude he kept saying "That's not my problem"...

He even said "If you buy it and I see you come back to this store I'll make sure to refuse your return, The only way you will be able to return is to go to another store"... So there he just told me I could buy it and return it again...

Anyway... all that time I was calm. I told him many time I understand his point about the "policy" and that I wanted to know what my option where since it's the customer service rep that called him down. He was so rude to a point where he said "You know I'll do it this time so I don't have to argue with you anymore"...

Who was arguing? I asked him from the start what my options where and he kept putting me down....

Anyway I got my price protection but sent a long email and called the customer relation center from Canadian Tire to make a complaint. I don't think that will do anything because even on the phone they didn't seem to care.

Is this how a manager should talk to customers? I know now about their so call "21 day price protection" but it's not written anywhere in their store or receipt. And to be accused of Fraud??? Seriously? I went there without knowing that policy, asked a question and BAM I'm a criminal?

Bought a TV @ Costco, 2 month later was 100$ off. Went to Costco and had ZERO issue getting my money back...

Canadian tire won't be my first choice in holiday shopping this year.....
Deal Addict
May 13, 2005
1298 posts
381 upvotes
Ottawa
Let's say I buy something for exactly $20.00 including taxes.
I give them a $20 bill.
I decide I don't want it and return within the required time/policy.
They give me two $10 bills, or a $20 with a different serial number.

Is this fraud?
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2005
1874 posts
125 upvotes
iamnotamerican.com wrote: However, if he presents the newly purchased item for a refund, using the first, and higher valued receipt, that is where the fraud comes in. The receipt he is presenting is not the receipt for the item he is returning. Sure, it's something similar, but it's not the item.

You'll notice pretty much any retailer's return policy states you must "return the item...", and not "return a similar item" or "return an item of like kind and quality" or words to that effect. The expectation is clear - return the item you bought with the receipt for that purchase.

It's past the price protection time period. Crap happens...prices go up, prices go down. Big kids deal with that sort of thing without feeling the need to prostitute themselves for a few dollars, and move on.
I would hardly consider this fraud. It is not a similar item, it is the same item (even though it is not THE item). It is not an item of like kind and quality, it is in fact of the SAME kind and quality.

Until the stores figure out they need to to synchronize their price-protection policy with their return policy, I see no problem with it.

In fact, it is more of the store's fault for inconveniencing you...for making you go through the trouble of buying and returning.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2003
6871 posts
3357 upvotes
Moncton, NB
What I do not understand is why a store wouldn't give the same price protection time like their return policy.

The reason is, if they don't want to do it you know that a LOT of people will just buy it and return it again. This just make more paperwork, extend their warranty since the item is new because of the new date on the new receipt. The customer is winning by extending their warranty....

So why would a store just do a price protection? Make the customer happy and this way doesn't move a bunch of stock for nothing....
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
11038 posts
1474 upvotes
Brampton
NG wrote: If they're going to play these penny pinching capitalist games so can I and drive the price as low as possible.
nounou23 wrote: Bought a TV @ Costco, 2 month later was 100$ off. Went to Costco and had ZERO issue getting my money back...

Canadian tire won't be my first choice in holiday shopping this year.....
myapple wrote:
Until the stores figure out they need to to synchronize their price-protection policy with their return policy, I see no problem with it.

In fact, it is more of the store's fault for inconveniencing you...for making you go through the trouble of buying and returning.

Totally agree :)

And +1 for Costco for their return & price adjustment policy!
1727 posts
458 upvotes
Montreal
yes, CT has the worst return policies.

after 7 days, if you open the box or the packaging, you cannot return it.
the manager basically tells me that he cannot sell if an item is used or open packaging.

i think it depend on each store, because they are owner franchises but most of them are the same.
You just gotta read the policies on their invoice. Most of them said 90days return if item is new condition.

Once i tried to do a price adjustment, i returned the item, i said i will re-buy it the same one that im returning.
He refused, because the item is used. I said i'm re-buying the exact same one that i'm returning, so it doesn't matter that is used.
The manager just denied and didn't care.
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
11038 posts
1474 upvotes
Brampton
^ That's one of the main reasons I stopped shopping at CT because of their stupid policies!