Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2011
1256 posts
1783 upvotes

[Canadian Tire] Purina Cat Chow 4kg 20% off - $11.19

Use $3 coupon from smartsource

http://www.smartsource.ca/smartsource2/ ... cale=en_CA

I did this in Ontario, 11.19 x 1.13 = 12.64 - $3 = $9.64 a bag

I bought 2 bags and earned a 5 cent CT money.
27 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 1, 2012
1220 posts
1006 upvotes
Think about your pet and their health. Don't feed them this garbage.
Sep 4, 2007
164 posts
11 upvotes
GTA
Masernaut wrote: Think about your pet and their health. Don't feed them this garbage.
Do you have any suggestion for Cats?
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2007
2415 posts
1192 upvotes
Vancouver
Doing all you can eat cat food in the weekends
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2011
1256 posts
1783 upvotes
I just got some cat and dog food coupons in my flyer bundle.

$4 off Purina Cat Chow
$4 off Purina One for Cats
$4 off Purina One for Dogs

My mom has 2 bundles of flyers , going to get those from her.
Jun 23, 2019
43 posts
12 upvotes
BC
Agreed, look at the ingredients before you put anything in your body (or you pet).
Deal Addict
Mar 1, 2012
1220 posts
1006 upvotes
yuanw wrote: Do you have any suggestion for Cats?
The person below linked a great database for cat food. But generally, you want the first three ingredients to be natural, real meat. The first should be whatever meat, the second should be an additional meat, the third can be the meat broth. Cats are natural carnivores, so they need a high protein diet for weight management, a healthy coat (prevents hairballs), healthy nails and prevent vet bills down the road.

I feed my kitties Orijen, which, yes, is pricey, but it saves me $$$$$ in vet bills once they're older. There's other options, too. Open Farm is a brand that I'll switch my kitties to next, which is much cheaper and they really enjoy the smell and taste. Nutrience also makes a grain-free dry cat food that can be found on sale. All three are made in Canada.
Jun 23, 2019
43 posts
12 upvotes
BC
Excellent post, I also use Orijien 6 fish for my 2 cats. I haven't heard of Open Farm, Nutrience or GO, if would be nice to find some links for these at prices that are lower than Orijien which is about $60-70 for the 6kg bag. I also agree no wheat or meat by products, it must be real meat, otherwise the kitties suffer in different ways.

https://kensingtonpet.ca/products/orije ... 9850327237
Banned
Dec 17, 2017
1014 posts
1052 upvotes
I personally believe Crave cat food is the LEAST cat owners should feed their cats. None of this garbage food.
Jun 23, 2019
43 posts
12 upvotes
BC
Even though Orijien is not the "best" it's ingrediants seems like the best: Fresh whole pacific pilchard (18%), fresh whole pacific mackerel (13%), fresh whole pacific hake (12%), fresh whole pacific flounder (5%), fresh whole rockfish (5%), fresh whole sole (5%), whole mackerel (dehydrated, 5%), whole herring (dehydrated, 5%), alaskan cod (dehydrated, 4.5%), whole sardine (dehydrated, 4.5%), whole blue whiting (dehydrated, 4%), herring oil (4%).

No mention of meals, or rice, or peas, etc..

Still looking for more..
Aug 20, 2019
5 posts
6 upvotes
To everyone taking about fish meal, or meat meal, this is a GOOD thing.
Meat meal is a meat concentrate, as in the meat with water removed. It is completely natural meat and is higher quality than when chicken, salmon, or any other whole protein is listed high on the ingredient list.

This is because when just the meat (deboned chicken, whole salmon, etc.) is listed first, this just means that the mass of the meat was highest BEFORE cooking. If you have a meat meal first, that means the mass of meat meal was highest before cooking, but that just means you start and end with more meat (in the case of dried kibble)

You need to worry about chicken byproduct meal and poultry meal and anything similarly suspicious. These are scraps, byproducts, bone meals and feather meals that are low quality.

Read food reviews on dog food advisor and cat food advisor. They break down every ingredient.
Aug 20, 2019
5 posts
6 upvotes
I also must mention that some plant proteins are also high quality (more-so for dog food than cat food, as cats require higher protein as they are generally strict carnivores).
Peas and lentils for example are great. They have high protein content on their own.
Corn, wheat, and gluten are things to be avoided as they have little nutritional value.

The first links posted for the best cat food brands is reliable. Brands like go!, wellness, orijen, acana, and many others are all great. You just need to look for the crude protein breakdown so that you aren’t misled by a meat (with water and fat included) listed as the first ingredient.

You might think you’re getting a good deal on a bag of Purina, but your pet is mostly eating filler. To get the same amount of nutrition from a cheap food, your pet will need to eat more of it.

You will see on higher quality foods that thy recommend that you actually feed less of their product - stretching the value of the bag even if it is more expensive outright.
Apr 7, 2009
167 posts
36 upvotes
I go to Costco.ca for my cat food
Satori brand for dry
Vintage brand for wet (big cans)
Both highly rated, quality ingredients, and made in Canada.
Aug 12, 2006
592 posts
133 upvotes
Markham
We have two cats, one's 4 and the other is about 2. We've been feeding them Nutrience Prairie Red for as far back as I can remember.

It's the only Nutrience that has any meal listed as like after 5+ ingredients, the first being real meat. I assume it's the best and most easily found (PetSmart) dry food in Canada. Well reviewed on catfooddb. I know wet is better but it's much more inconvenient for us, and so the cats only get wet once every week or so. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

https://www.petsmart.ca/cat/food-and-tr ... 37899.html

No health issues, knock on wood. Both cats are well within acceptable physiques, very active and seem happy with the food in general. Sometimes they decide they don't like the freeze-dried bits though. Annoying. Older boy is about 13 lbs and eats 1/2 cup a day, younger girl is 9 lbs and eats the same. Neither begs for food or seems hungry for more.

It's worth the investment if the cat leads a happier and healthier life. They're family after all :)
Sep 17, 2017
24 posts
5 upvotes
Uk
This will kill your cat. Under investigation. Pay a few more dollars and at least buy some Wellness or Natural Balace. Taste of the Wild cmon folks! They use sick zoo ani,als and euthanized sick animals in this garbage food.
Deal Addict
Mar 1, 2012
1220 posts
1006 upvotes
willowfly09 wrote: Excellent post, I also use Orijien 6 fish for my 2 cats. I haven't heard of Open Farm, Nutrience or GO, if would be nice to find some links for these at prices that are lower than Orijien which is about $60-70 for the 6kg bag. I also agree no wheat or meat by products, it must be real meat, otherwise the kitties suffer in different ways.

https://kensingtonpet.ca/products/orije ... 9850327237
In Montreal, Open Farm is often discounted at Mondou and independent shops. My cats loved it and once they're past the kitten stage and into adulthood, I'll feed them that. It's only a difference of $10-15 vs. Orijen but I don't want them to be picky of foods.
willowfly09 wrote: Sadly, also the Nutrience is mixing in "meals"
https://www.petsmart.ca/cat/food-and-tr ... 00406.html
First four ingredients are deboned fish. The first three ingredients are what matter. Meals are okay as ingredients further down the list. There's a step above this, if you're willing to pay - it's the "sub-zero" which is meant to be purely what cats would eat in the wild with no grains.
cloud9x wrote: We have two cats, one's 4 and the other is about 2. We've been feeding them Nutrience Prairie Red for as far back as I can remember.

https://www.petsmart.ca/cat/food-and-tr ... 37899.html

No health issues, knock on wood. Both cats are well within acceptable physiques, very active and seem happy with the food in general. Sometimes they decide they don't like the freeze-dried bits though. Annoying. Older boy is about 13 lbs and eats 1/2 cup a day, younger girl is 9 lbs and eats the same. Neither begs for food or seems hungry for more.
This is exactly what I feed my kittens as their wet food. They enjoy it. Non-stop meowing as soon as they hear the can "pop!" Mine are around 8 lbs now - nearing a year old. They eat... a lot. Half cup of dry food each and half a can of wet food. One of them, a Siamese mix, is a non-stop eater. He will literally eat anything. Ever since we switched them to Nutrience + Orijen, their coats became slick and shiny.