Feb 4, 2015
6640 posts
2972 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!

[Canadian Tire] RCA 55" 4K HDTV at Thursday only $500

Did not find on search...

This Thursday Canadian Tire has RCA 55" 4K HDTV for $499.99

Anyone have this?

Not sure if same model however Brick recently had RCA 55" 4K for $750 http://www.redflagdeals.com/deal/televi ... hd-led-tv/

Online at Brick only can get 65" however flyer has 55" as well http://www.thebrick.com/flyer
114 replies
Oct 26, 2015
563 posts
110 upvotes
Toronto,ON
Nothing in flyer
I try to buy smart but end up Penny wise Pound Foolish :(
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2006
1030 posts
198 upvotes
nonvegan wrote: Nothing in flyer
Definitely in flyer. It was posted before this thread in the CT flyer thread.
Oct 26, 2015
563 posts
110 upvotes
Toronto,ON
kendorama wrote: Definitely in flyer. It was posted before this thread in the CT flyer thread.
which page, i didnt find anything in weekly flyer
I try to buy smart but end up Penny wise Pound Foolish :(
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2007
3906 posts
1021 upvotes
Toronto
nonvegan wrote: which page, i didnt find anything in weekly flyer
its not in the weekly flyer. its supposedly in the weekend BIG RED sale flyer
Feb 13, 2008
313 posts
103 upvotes
London
Not saying it is a bad deal, just mentioning RCA sucks now. It might work fine but it also might die in a couple years.
Dec 18, 2011
487 posts
226 upvotes
Montreal
doread wrote: Not saying it is a bad deal, just mentioning RCA sucks now. It might work fine but it also might die in a couple years.
I'll say it. Stay away. Will have terrible motion blur for sports, Video games and action movies. BUT, Great for watching news.
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2007
1208 posts
362 upvotes
Brampton
elixer wrote: I'll say it. Stay away. Will have terrible motion blur for sports, Video games and action movies. BUT, Great for watching news.
Lol the weather channel too
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
6640 posts
2972 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
With the cool temps maybe keep it on the fireplace channel... in 4K!!
Mar 30, 2008
727 posts
220 upvotes
Vancouver
elixer wrote: I'll say it. Stay away. Will have terrible motion blur for sports, Video games and action movies. BUT, Great for watching news.
RCA has been crap for 20 years. I've been a cable guy for that length of time and they are the worst name brand on the market. Add to that, Canadian tire's reputation of making deals with suppliers for cheaper built items, run from this.
Mar 30, 2008
727 posts
220 upvotes
Vancouver
speedy726 wrote: Lol the weather channel too
Yeah. Really enhances the snow graphics
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2011
1562 posts
760 upvotes
madmox wrote: RCA has been crap for 20 years. I've been a cable guy for that length of time and they are the worst name brand on the market. Add to that, Canadian tire's reputation of making deals with suppliers for cheaper built items, run from this.
Yeah, i dont think there was ANY value in that brand. To make things 100x worse, the RCA brand in Canada is different from the american one, so while the american one is also garbage, theres atleast a massive market to keep the things supported for a while. The RCA TV my parents were *GIVEN* from a friend does not even have universal remote support. Theres simply no way to program a rogers or Shaw remote to work with it(and i sat there for literally 45 minutes doing that search where the remote goes through its own database of built in codes, on the off chance it shared the same wavelength or whatever, of a different brand)

In Canada, RCA has probably the crappiest, most obscure rebranded junk from China that you'll find in the western world. Unless you're going to use this set to display static info, save your money and get a 1080p vizio. Fewer pixels, but it'll atleast have good image quality on the pixels that are there.
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2010
2601 posts
487 upvotes
DFR Headquarter
Is this brand comparable to bestbuy's dynex brand? I used to see threads where people were quite happy with that brand.
Sep 19, 2009
652 posts
526 upvotes
Ottawa
Bedboi wrote: Is this brand comparable to bestbuy's dynex brand? I used to see threads where people were quite happy with that brand.
No. Bestbuy's Dynex and Insignia brands are actually quite good and blow RCA away in terms of quality and value.
Oct 4, 2007
601 posts
115 upvotes
Bedboi wrote: Is this brand comparable to bestbuy's dynex brand? I used to see threads where people were quite happy with that brand.
No, Dynex is kind of a rebranded Samsung, using technologies that lag behind the current market by a year or so.
I'd rather buy a Changhong or Hisense than an RCA.
Sep 19, 2009
652 posts
526 upvotes
Ottawa
That being said, don't judge a TV based on brand name alone. Yes, RCA is branded onto a lot of clunkers, but every once in a while, the name gets put on a good TV. This MIGHT be one of those times.
Jul 5, 2007
223 posts
87 upvotes
Guelph
Scott86 wrote: Yeah, i dont think there was ANY value in that brand. To make things 100x worse, the RCA brand in Canada is different from the american one, so while the american one is also garbage, theres atleast a massive market to keep the things supported for a while. The RCA TV my parents were *GIVEN* from a friend does not even have universal remote support. Theres simply no way to program a rogers or Shaw remote to work with it(and i sat there for literally 45 minutes doing that search where the remote goes through its own database of built in codes, on the off chance it shared the same wavelength or whatever, of a different brand)

In Canada, RCA has probably the crappiest, most obscure rebranded junk from China that you'll find in the western world. Unless you're going to use this set to display static info, save your money and get a 1080p vizio. Fewer pixels, but it'll atleast have good image quality on the pixels that are there.
I had to get my folks some refurb harmony remotes so they could use their RCA Wal-Mart tv's.
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2005
11170 posts
3681 upvotes
So far there is zero 4K available locally and nothing imminent. Will wait.

Seems like a good deal though.
Deal Addict
Mar 19, 2011
1157 posts
374 upvotes
Hamilton
kool1 wrote: So far there is zero 4K available locally and nothing imminent. Will wait.

Seems like a good deal though.
It probably is.

FWIW, the last time I saw a deal on a TV at Canadian Tire was a couple years ago. Coincidentally there was an RCA as well as a Proscan. Everyone in that thread was going on about how much better the RCA was albeit not that great. Anyhow, I got the Proscan because it was bigger and cheaper. Great TV with the stupidest remote but the point being when I opened it up recently I found it had an LG panel manufactured a couple years prior to when the TV was manufactured. So same picture quality as an LG but the power supply and motherboard are probably "off brand".