• Apr 21st, 2020 7:32 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2015
1674 posts
1481 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario

Canadian Tire refund?

I bought an item at CT on my credit card and went back today for a refund, and it has not shown up in my credit card history or pending transactions? How long does a CT refund usually take to see something?
I'm wondering because when I go to walmart, i usually see the refund transaction as pending like 5 minutes after the refund...
😎Thanks RFD😎
8 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
2744 posts
1943 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
blackbirdman wrote: I bought an item at CT on my credit card and went back today for a refund, and it has not shown up in my credit card history or pending transactions? How long does a CT refund usually take to see something?
I'm wondering because when I go to walmart, i usually see the refund transaction as pending like 5 minutes after the refund...
OMG. The refund didn't show as pending five minutes after the transaction? You're kidding, right? :)

You have a receipt showing the refund to your card, so it's obviously going to be processed when the CT and credit card systems do their sync. May take a couple of minutes, may take a couple of days.

...and if it doesn't happen in a couple of days contact your cc company since you have the receipt showing it is pending.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2006
1330 posts
700 upvotes
Toronto
It is not instant!! It will take a few days.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
7782 posts
2523 upvotes
Maple
Refunds are slower to show up. Give it a week.
Banned
Dec 25, 2017
686 posts
484 upvotes
Rockwood
I've never had the refund show up in my pending transactions. The refund is usually processed within 3 or so business days in my experience.
Oct 26, 2015
158 posts
36 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Wondering the exact same thing. Got a hefty refund from the Brick. Not showing up. It was about 6 hours ago. Will check back in a few days. Didn't get a merchant copy, just an official receipt showing a refund. No idea if that worked.
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2006
1388 posts
552 upvotes
Toronto
Refunds typically do not get an authorization thus it won’t show up as a pending transaction in your card’s account. Takes a few days to get posted to your card.

Visa is coming out with a new mandate from merchants that will force large merchants to send refunds for authorization thus you will see it within minutes as a pending transaction.
Oct 26, 2015
158 posts
36 upvotes
Calgary, AB
I am with MasterCard but I am assuming it’s similar. Yeah it really sucks...

I did buy something from HomeDepot yesterday and they did charge me $1 and then immediately credit back the $1. Both charges showed up right away. (Authorized transactions) Wouldn’t that be considered as a refund?

Also, my credit limit didn’t increase just yet but if it takes days for the refund to be processed, that would make sense.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2013
2319 posts
2197 upvotes
Montreal
When you buy something, the merchant get an auth code from the bank and hit you. When the merchant do a refund, the process is reversed. You should read on that as it make sense why it takes few days for a refund to show up.