Shopping Discussion

Canadian tire return policy = no more shopping with them!!!

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 19th, 2013 11:14 am
[OP]
Nov 1, 2004
766 posts
26 upvotes

Canadian tire return policy = no more shopping with them!!!

Canadian Tires have a really crappy return policy even though their big sign said "Easy returns: Save your receipt "!!!!... you can't return items once you opened the package.

The TomTom I bought was broken and they didn't want to take it back. They asked me to send and get manufacturer warranty even though I just bought the item only a few days ago.

I had to fight with the manager to get my money back.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/Navigati ... hanges.jsp
46 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2008
1712 posts
762 upvotes
I have never, ever, ever had a problem returning an item to my local Canadian Tire store, whether because it was broken, or not suitable, or I simply changed my mind.

So I would say this is a huge YMMV depending on the store manager and how he/she sets individual policies at their store. If you have trouble returning it to one store, take it to another and try again. You can take it to any Canadian Tire store you want.
Deal Addict
Feb 2, 2004
1754 posts
20 upvotes
Toronto
GreyingJay wrote: I have never, ever, ever had a problem returning an item to my local Canadian Tire store, whether because it was broken, or not suitable, or I simply changed my mind.

So I would say this is a huge YMMV depending on the store manager and how he/she sets individual policies at their store. If you have trouble returning it to one store, take it to another and try again. You can take it to any Canadian Tire store you want.

Not true. Other stores have always told me to go to the original store where I bought the used/defective item from. So their return policy is pretty much slim to nil.
Paulfistinyourface wrote:This is RFD. High moral values are way down the ladder of acceptability around here. It's all about stepping on your grandmothers throat to save a buck.
Heatware
Jan 15, 2008
879 posts
52 upvotes
Oil country
Knock on wood, i've never had a problem returning items to CT. I always seem to be the odd case for a lot of my returns, like bringing back a 8 year old mastercraft torque wrench and exchanging it for store credit. (i of course had no original packaging, no receipt, only the plastic case and a barely used wrench).

A couple weeks ago, i returned a crappy ceiling fan, I had for a couple months, without the original box, no instructions, only the receipt and a costco produce box full of fan parts. CT took it back and refunded me no questions asked.

(edit): I never had a problem returning it to a different store from where i bought it at. CT are independently owned, but all the products they sell are the same.

I've heard electronics can be a hassle, so i suggest calling head office and speak to someone there...They are usually very lenient and will accommodate your needs...Just be friendly and polite of course. (this is based on my own experience with them in the past.)
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
8979 posts
2244 upvotes
TheDarkRage wrote: Not true. Other stores have always told me to go to the original store where I bought the used/defective item from. So their return policy is pretty much slim to nil.

It's true. I've never had trouble returning items (defective or not) to different stores and I've done it a handful of times at different stores all over the place. It states right in their return policy that they will accept returns for items purchased at other CT locations up to 90 days.

For example, just recently, I purchased two sprinklers, two hoses and two water timers from the CT in Markham (Major Mack and 404 location). All items were opened and used for about a week but I was getting crap water flow for some reason and I eliminated/replaced each item one at a time to try to figure out where the problem was.

First, I returned one hose at the CT in Scarborough (McCowen and Finch), it wasn't an issue with the hose. I then returned one water timer at the CT in Aurora, turns out that wasn't the issue either. Finally it turned out to be the sprinklers, both of which I returned to the CT in Richmond Hill (near Elgin Mills and Yonge). In all three instances I had no problems returning the items in question, the items were given a brief inspection for damage and accepted without further question. I tend to travel all over the place so when I have to return things, I just toss the items in my trunk and return it whenever I happen to drive by a store location next hence why I returned the items over 3 separate locations.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
22720 posts
4338 upvotes
Niagara Falls
TheDarkRage wrote: Not true. Other stores have always told me to go to the original store where I bought the used/defective item from. So their return policy is pretty much slim to nil.

Not true.

In the Niagara region I have returned items to different stores before. Like the poster you quoted said, it depends on the manager running the store.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2008
1712 posts
762 upvotes
There must be a black hole somewhere in Toronto where Canadian Tire store managers act like pricks, refusing price matches and giving people a hard time about refunds. Hmmm, maybe a series of stores owned by the same owners?

Here in Ottawa I've never had a problem buying from, say, the Barrhaven store, and then returning it to the Kanata store. They don't even blink.

The only time I've ever run into a hitch at the Customer Service desk is when trying to get a refund of a lower price after I bought the item. Their price protection policy is 7 or 14 days, but their refund policy is 90 days, so they made me play the "buy it again and return using the old receipt" trick, but otherwise, they've always been helpful.
Dec 9, 2007
955 posts
31 upvotes
GreyingJay wrote: I have never, ever, ever had a problem returning an item to my local Canadian Tire store, whether because it was broken, or not suitable, or I simply changed my mind.

+1 My closest store sometimes gives me a headaches but there are 2 other stores near by where I never had a problem.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
8434 posts
2085 upvotes
I've heard horror storries, but generally for me they have taking everything back including opening headlight bulbs.

What's wrong with the GPS? I went to futureshop the other day and this customer was also trying to return a tomtom, and the screen cracked. Futureshop wouldn't take it back.
Deal Guru
Jun 26, 2005
10055 posts
1934 upvotes
Toronto
This is why, when you OPEN an item, try to open it without damaging any packaging, so you can RE-PACK it exactly the same way you bought it.

Then you refund within the period and say you changed your mind.

Telling them its BROKEN just causes you more trouble.

Yes, its mean to the next customer, but you get all this headache if you tell them the truth.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
25150 posts
21601 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
rfdrfd wrote: This is why, when you OPEN an item, try to open it without damaging any packaging, so you can RE-PACK it exactly the same way you bought it.
TomTom GPS, like most similar electronic items, come in boxes that are sealed with special tamper-proof tape that makes it obvious that the box has been opened. Repacking everything the way it came is a given regardless.
Then you refund within the period and say you changed your mind. Telling them its BROKEN just causes you more trouble.
The problem is that if they do inspect the item and find something broken, say a cracked screen, or something missing then they understandably won't give you a refund or exchange. If they find out later then they'll come after you.
Yes, its mean to the next customer, but you get all this headache if you tell them the truth.
That's hardly justification to screw the next innocent customer. In any case, if you're honest and polite, it's unlikely that they'll hassle you about a broken product. Of course all bets are off if you come across as an 4ssh0le or if the box is visibly damaged, etc.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Fanatic
Apr 30, 2003
7730 posts
1414 upvotes
Toronto
Maybe the OP looks like a teenager/young adult who bought the unit on a friday and returned it on a monday. After their weekend getaway, he decided to return his 'rental' and get his money back.

Honestly, CDn tire is one of the more lax retailers in taking returns. As long as the item comes back in the original box and the item not distressed they will take it back.
Apr 23, 2009
901 posts
87 upvotes
rfdrfd wrote: This is why, when you OPEN an item, try to open it without damaging any packaging, so you can RE-PACK it exactly the same way you bought it.

Then you refund within the period and say you changed your mind.

Telling them its BROKEN just causes you more trouble.

It shouldn't matter what state the box is in if the product is broken or defective. Canadian Tire wouldn't even take a hit on the sale, they'd just send the product back to the manufacturer for either a credit to their next order, or an extra unit for no cost in their next order.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2008
1712 posts
762 upvotes
Adams06 wrote: It shouldn't matter what state the box is in if the product is broken or defective. Canadian Tire wouldn't even take a hit on the sale, they'd just send the product back to the manufacturer for either a credit to their next order, or an extra unit for no cost in their next order.

Sometimes it gets messy when the product is broken. I've told this story before here: one time I went to Home Depot to return a fluorescent light fixture (the kind that comes with a plastic diffuser cover). I said "Hi, I'd like to return this, I don't need it anymore." However, the CSR refused because the plastic cover was cracked. I honestly had never noticed it, and I told her as much. She kept looking at me as if I had broken it and was now trying to scam it off on her. She was trying not to allow the return because "you broke it, I can't take it back like this". Finally she got a supervisor to come over and I said "Hi, I'd like to return this, because it's broken." I got the refund right away. Sheesh!
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
25150 posts
21601 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
GreyingJay wrote: I honestly had never noticed it, and I told her as much. She kept looking at me as if I had broken it and was now trying to scam it off on her... Sheesh!
You can't really blame her for trying to do her job based on the evidence she has. After all she's only human and probably hasn't been in these situations many times before.

What happens next depends on how you behave. If you stay calm, cool and collected, and politely ask for a manager, etc. then things are likely to turn out OK. You may have to escalate to the store manager or even HQ but as long as you seem reasonable and stay firm but polite you'll eventually prevail. OTOH if you make a scene, use profanity, act aggressive, threaten the staff, etc. you'll only confirm their suspicions that you're trying to scam them. Then it's unlikely to turn out well no matter what you do or say later.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2008
1712 posts
762 upvotes
bylo wrote: You can't really blame her for trying to do her job based on the evidence she has. After all she's only human and probably hasn't been in these situations many times before.

What happens next depends on how you behave. If you stay calm, cool and collected, and politely ask for a manager, etc. then things are likely to turn out OK. You may have to escalate to the store manager or even HQ but as long as you seem reasonable and stay firm but polite you'll eventually prevail. OTOH if you make a scene, use profanity, act aggressive, threaten the staff, etc. you'll only confirm their suspicions that you're trying to scam them. Then it's unlikely to turn out well no matter what you do or say later.

Oh, definitely. I always make an effort to be calm and rational (and I've seen what happens when people make scenes). That one just got me frustrated because (a) I was clearly being accused of something I didn't do and (b) it wasn't a big deal anyway, as a simple change of wording was apparently all it took for them to click onto the fact that this was a valid return.

Maybe my frustration shouldn't be toward CSRs following their policies but toward the thieves and scammers that ruin the system for the rest of us.
Apr 7, 2007
524 posts
31 upvotes
I've never had an issue returning items to Canadian Tire myself, but then I don't readily recall trying to return something that was opened/used. But I do remember a CSR telling me it didn't matter if I opened something as long as it's within 90 days. She also said if I didn't have the receipt I can only get an exchange. I suppose the only exceptions to this are things like footwear that has been worn on the street. I always thought their return/exchange policy was fair. I'd have to assume it's a YMMV situation. OP, which Canadian Tire did you have problems at?
[OP]
Nov 1, 2004
766 posts
26 upvotes
PCDawg wrote: Maybe the OP looks like a teenager/young adult who bought the unit on a friday and returned it on a monday. After their weekend getaway, he decided to return his 'rental' and get his money back.

Honestly, CDn tire is one of the more lax retailers in taking returns. As long as the item comes back in the original box and the item not distressed they will take it back.

And you are a person who always has the correct assumption? Posts like yours have no place on the forum.

After returning that broken GPS, I bought a Garmin. It worked well right out of the box, even though I have to pay more for it.

Anyway, maybe their policy is different on electronic items. But honestly speaking, forcing the customer to get manufacturer warranty although the item is only a few days old is totally unacceptable.
[OP]
Nov 1, 2004
766 posts
26 upvotes
I was able to get the money back at the end probably by staying calm and politely asking to escalate to the manager.

I never paid attention to their return policy until this happened. This is the direct quote on the return policy on their website.

Easy returns: Save your receipt
To return an item for exchange or refund, bring it to any Canadian Tire store within 90 days, in its original condition and packaging, with your receipt and issue of Canadian Tire “Money”®. Returns without the original receipt or packaging will be accepted at Canadian Tire's discretion. If a product is defective, the manufacturer’s warranty will apply.
bylo wrote: You can't really blame her for trying to do her job based on the evidence she has. After all she's only human and probably hasn't been in these situations many times before.

Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
5957 posts
1291 upvotes
Toronto
hahaha a few weeks ago I had to return a car circuit breaker because the prongs were too narrow and turns out mine was fine all along and it was another electrical problem in my car. Reading all these threads about CT returns, I kinda put off returning it and thought I was going to get a hard time. Then I did it and they just took the item, scanned the receipt, and gave me my $7 in change back...lol. It took 20 seconds altogether. I know it was a relatively small item but still.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.