Shopping Discussion

Canadian tire return policy = no more shopping with them!!!

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 19th, 2013 11:14 am
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2001
15556 posts
1026 upvotes
CT stores are franchised so it depends on the local store for how well the return policy is covered. The wiggle room in the return policy provided by corp also gives them cover to be cheap with the policy.

Honestly, at this point, it's hard to believe CT corp doesn't know what's going on at some stores yet they do nothing. This is enough for me to avoud the entire chain to be on the safe side.

WM, Costco, Loblaws etc virtually never have complaints like this.
Should we have open retail markets to bring more UK and US retailers to Canada?wegmans-tops-trader-joes-americas-favou ... #p27788812
May 25, 2010
162 posts
5 upvotes
Calgary
testinz wrote: Canadian Tires have a really crappy return policy even though their big sign said "Easy returns: Save your receipt "!!!!... you can't return items once you opened the package.

The TomTom I bought was broken and they didn't want to take it back. They asked me to send and get manufacturer warranty even though I just bought the item only a few days ago.

I had to fight with the manager to get my money back.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/Navigati ... hanges.jsp

I had a same experience like this one month ago. I bought a humidifier and tried once, too noisy. I took it back to store, but they did not refund the money to me. They asked me to change other stuff in stead of getting money back.
Jan 4, 2011
100 posts
76 upvotes
testinz wrote: The TomTom I bought was broken and they didn't want to take it back. They asked me to send and get manufacturer warranty even though I just bought the item only a few days ago.

I had to fight with the manager to get my money back.
TWD09 wrote: I had a same experience like this one month ago. I bought a humidifier and tried once, too noisy. I took it back to store, but they did not refund the money to me. They asked me to change other stuff in stead of getting money back.

Maybe some customers are OK using the manufacturer's warranty (and I'm sure the store prefers that), but that's not the only option a customer has.

I've been doing some research on Consumer Protection legislation. In Ontario (and maybe other provinces), the law says that, if the customer insists, the retailer has to give you a refund for a defective item. If they don't, and you paid by credit card, you can have the credit card company give you the refund.

It makes me wonder why the CT web site says, "the manufacturer's warranty will apply". Shouldn't it say, "and the laws of the applicable province will apply"?

I've posted links at the "CanadianTireSucks.net" web site.
Oct 30, 2009
125 posts
44 upvotes
Vancouver
Don't buy a dehumidifier from CT. The warranty is terrible from Whirlpool/Hisence/Transglobal . It may say 5 years but really is only 1 year. After 1 year you pay a $90 service charge to have them look at it then more to fix it which is not worth it. Even the 1 year is not worth it since they will try and stall any claims until the 1 year parts and service is expired. Then you end up having to pay the service charge even though they were slow in the warranty service. In the Box they have card saying if there is anything wrong with the product contact the warranty provider even though there is a 30 day return policy for initial defects which is not mentioned anywhere. I only found out on a Q/A forum for the product.
DavidLeR wrote: Maybe some customers are OK using the manufacturer's warranty (and I'm sure the store prefers that), but that's not the only option a customer has.

I've been doing some research on Consumer Protection legislation. In Ontario (and maybe other provinces), the law says that, if the customer insists, the retailer has to give you a refund for a defective item. If they don't, and you paid by credit card, you can have the credit card company give you the refund.

It makes me wonder why the CT web site says, "the manufacturer's warranty will apply". Shouldn't it say, "and the laws of the applicable province will apply"?

I've posted links at the "CanadianTireSucks.net" web site.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2005
4438 posts
1927 upvotes
Vulcan, AB
It has been my experience that Canadian tire has some of the most lax return policies outside of Costco. I'm fairly certain you could take a ***** in the box and they would still take it back.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29710 posts
29129 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
sleeperz wrote: Don't buy a dehumidifier from CT. The warranty is terrible from Whirlpool/Hisence/Transglobal . It may say 5 years but really is only 1 year. After 1 year you pay a $90 service charge to have them look at it then more to fix it which is not worth it. Even the 1 year is not worth it since they will try and stall any claims until the 1 year parts and service is expired. Then you end up having to pay the service charge even though they were slow in the warranty service. In the Box they have card saying if there is anything wrong with the product contact the warranty provider even though there is a 30 day return policy for initial defects which is not mentioned anywhere. I only found out on a Q/A forum for the product.
What does any of this have to do with CT? You could buy the same humidifier at Wal-Mart and run into the same issue.

Seems to me your beef is with Whirlpool/Hisence/Transglobal.
veni, vidi, Visa
Feb 9, 2011
883 posts
131 upvotes
Montr
I have never had any issue with all my returns even the life or 5years warranty without receipt at CT was always a success, im from quebec

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)