• Oct 22nd, 2019 12:28 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2004
2071 posts
197 upvotes
Toronto

Canadian Tire Road Side Assistance

Was wondering if Canadian Tire roadside was the same as CAA where they don't contract out their services? Are they offerred inhouse?

The main reason I have been with CAA for many years is because of an experience where independant tow truck drivers had horrible customer service who acted like thugs.
18 replies
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
24874 posts
2010 upvotes
Markham, ON
out of the 5 times (over 7 years) i used Cdn Tire RA, only one time the service was average.

The other 4 times have been great...the driver were all super helpful.

(Cardinal in Markham have been especially good).
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2011
1338 posts
1033 upvotes
HAMILTON
contracted out and Cdn Tire follows up ( normally ) the next day or so regarding the service. May be an automated call,

I have never had an issues with Cdn Tire auto club and been with them a number of years.
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2019
1536 posts
1663 upvotes
CAA is great. The Plus membership is what I usually get. 200km TOW to anywhere, ie ) your driveway where you can think about what to do next with broken car. Plus I can show up with my card, and tow anyones car that needs help. Not stuck to the license plate.
Jan 13, 2007
515 posts
398 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
I was a CAA member for many, many years before switching recently to Canadian Tire Roadside. I've been very happy with my Canadian Tire Roadside Assistance plan and have had good experiences with their customer service.
Banned
Apr 5, 2013
5810 posts
2974 upvotes
keenland
to all you comparing CTC to CAA....roadside assistance IS CAA's business...across North America....CTC is a retail chain offering this service with restrictions across canada..

I dont shop for TV's at a Rogers store...nor do I buy my groceries from Esso...if I want roadside assistance, I use CAA.....its all fun and cheap till there is a problem
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35697 posts
21796 upvotes
Center of Universe
cardguy wrote: to all you comparing CTC to CAA....roadside assistance IS CAA's business...across North America....CTC is a retail chain offering this service with restrictions across canada..

I dont shop for TV's at a Rogers store...nor do I buy my groceries from Esso...if I want roadside assistance, I use CAA.....its all fun and cheap till there is a problem
I don't pay RA, when I can get it for free with the HT visa and CT WE MC.
Banned
Apr 5, 2013
5810 posts
2974 upvotes
keenland
vkizzle wrote: I don't pay RA, when I can get it for free with the HT visa and CT WE MC.
if you never leave your city..then who cares..but I travel by car all over..I do not need any problems getting RA in the states somewhere
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
27377 posts
3884 upvotes
Montreal
FYI CT will tow you to non CT garages if you ask. I had them tow me once to the neighborhood tire shop I usually do business with.

Pretty good service for the price. If anyone got the original offer with the discount coupon in the emergency car kit, know that you can call back annually and bitch to get your membership discounted again.
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2011
1338 posts
1033 upvotes
HAMILTON
CT will tow you to any garage you want and will tow you home home if you like. Tows to Cdn Tire are free and don't count against your tow limits. Only kicker for a tow home is that you cannot call them the next day or so and ask to be towed to a garage for the same problem.

I buy for the kids at Xmas when is 50% off for gold plan. Peace of mind for all of us for about $50/year each. Also buy for wife and myself.
Banned
Apr 5, 2013
5810 posts
2974 upvotes
keenland
luckystrike1 wrote: Sounds like someone works for CAA
I dont work for them...I am just an advocate as over the years , I have found that their service is great, and if they do screw up, there is someone that answers the phone and tries to make it right and they are very helpful....I travel all over the eastern states and canada , I know AAA and CAA are everywhere and the membership is honoured...CTC..not so much...but if I never left the city..I wouldn't need anything
Sep 7, 2007
267 posts
120 upvotes
Woodstock
The main difference between CAA and CT is that CT coverage is registered to the car whereas CAA is registered to the subscriber. I have CAA and can have any car towed, even a friend's if I'm there.
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2011
1338 posts
1033 upvotes
HAMILTON
Wrong, Cdn Tire Auto Club can now be assigned to the person or to the car and it is your choice when you sign up. Has been that way for a while.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
27377 posts
3884 upvotes
Montreal
oldyellr wrote: The main difference between CAA and CT is that CT coverage is registered to the car whereas CAA is registered to the subscriber. I have CAA and can have any car towed, even a friend's if I'm there.
As pointed out that's not true

That's also why I gave up CAA for CT. I have one car that has GM roadside assistance, and one that has none, buy two drivers. With CAA I would have to buy two memberships. With CT I can get one car covered only.
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2014
2728 posts
539 upvotes
Hi guys, Just wondering so with CT. can i buy gold membership. go pickup a parts car. put old plates on it and get it towed back home??

Had no issues with CAA until recently when one tow guy todl me he didnt have to tow cuz it was tehcnically not insured or plated..? so my membership i didnt renew. noticed better price at ct too so planning to go for the CT Gold membership. need a parts car but dont want the hassle.

Anyone know if these guys are like CAA or do they generally just tow it as long as you are at the car and have a membership?
Mar 30, 2008
21 posts
24 upvotes
My experience with Canadian Tire Roadside assistance was very poor. Broke down at the U.S side of the Peace Bridge crossing (At U.S Customs) on a Sunday afternoon this past June. Called for a tow. Advised me it was up to a 2 hr wait. No problem. I called after the two hr wait and was told that a tow truck had broke down and there would be a delay. The flatbed arrived 6.5 hrs after the initial call. I asked the driver if a truck broke down. He told me no truck was broken down. He loaded my vehicle up and then proceeded to go to another service call to change a tire on a truck which took another 45 min.

The tow was 20 minutes to a ford stealership from the Peace Bridge.

You get what you pay for.........
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2011
1338 posts
1033 upvotes
HAMILTON
westnylefx........

I would think and hope " no ". Roadside assistance is not intended to help you tow a parts/scrap car home... It is to assist when a your properly licensed and plated requires assistance.
Read the terms of use.

What you are proposing is just an abuse of the whole process that makes it harder for other people getting service, can can delays in other people getting service and can contribute to higher rates.

If you want a scrap car towed home, just call a tow truck and pay for it.

Note: normally a lot of little rips offs, taking advantage of, etc don't bother me but sometimes when someone is just blatantly ripping off the system, it ticks me right off.

I have had good results from Cdn Tire Roadside Assistance. . Last time told would be there in 45 minutes and showed up in 10. Dispatched was a tow truck and not a flat bed. Vehicle ended up needing a tow so he just threw the dollies on and away we went home. Tow truck driver has no issues with Cdn Tire Roadside as it dollies needed, he just does it whereas with some other companies, he has to call in to get permission to use dollies as they cost more.

Now if I found out that I had to wait longer for service because some " apple " was hosing the system with trying to get a tow forsome crap car that really has no plates, etc, I would be ticked right off....................... end of rant.....
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35697 posts
21796 upvotes
Center of Universe
dealsfanatic wrote: My experience with Canadian Tire Roadside assistance was very poor. Broke down at the U.S side of the Peace Bridge crossing (At U.S Customs) on a Sunday afternoon this past June. Called for a tow. Advised me it was up to a 2 hr wait. No problem. I called after the two hr wait and was told that a tow truck had broke down and there would be a delay. The flatbed arrived 6.5 hrs after the initial call. I asked the driver if a truck broke down. He told me no truck was broken down. He loaded my vehicle up and then proceeded to go to another service call to change a tire on a truck which took another 45 min.

The tow was 20 minutes to a ford stealership from the Peace Bridge.

You get what you pay for.........
Or apply for the CT WE MC card and pay nothing.
Combined with the 5yr factory tow service, HT Preferred Visa and CT WE MC, I have 3 choices without forking a dime.