Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Canadian Tire

Roku Express HD Streaming Media Player $24.99

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 1st, 2022 6:21 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
4498 posts
3406 upvotes
Edmonton

[Canadian Tire] Roku Express HD Streaming Media Player $24.99

SALE PRICE STARTS DECEMBER 1, 2022
PLEASE NOTE LINK WILL NOT SHOW SALE PRICE UNTIL DECEMBER 1, 2022
SPECIAL BUY-No Rainchecks
20 replies
Dec 21, 2011
175 posts
307 upvotes
Summerland, British …
What is the advantage of Roku over chromecast or fire stick? Does it come with the Roku streaming service? Is it any good?
Sep 20, 2021
68 posts
76 upvotes
dburroughs1 wrote: What is the advantage of Roku over chromecast or fire stick? Does it come with the Roku streaming service? Is it any good?

I'd stay clear of Roku. It's absolutely subpar. firestick is #1
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2017
1072 posts
1905 upvotes
DylanM87 wrote: I'd stay clear of Roku. It's absolutely subpar. firestick is #1
Interesting. I've had the total opposite experience. Firestick is more cluttered, ads are more in-your-face and obstrusive, and overall have had more glitches and performance problems than Rokus. Roku ads are off to the side, interface is simple and easy to find everything in the order you place it in, none of this multi-level non-sense, as if a TV UI should be the same as Netflix.
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2017
1072 posts
1905 upvotes
dburroughs1 wrote: What is the advantage of Roku over chromecast or fire stick? Does it come with the Roku streaming service? Is it any good?
No major advantage. Just personal preference. Roku streaming service doesn't really have anything besides the Weird Al movie that just came out lol.
Jan 11, 2012
362 posts
265 upvotes
PORT ALBERNI
If I buy now at the regular price can you bring it back to CT on the 1st to get it at the sale price?
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
33251 posts
15131 upvotes
The most major disadvantage to [standalone] Rokus is they don't work with CEC; so you are basically stuck with using two remotes unless you have something programmable where you program in the Roku commands/codes.

Some Roku's come with volume control and power buttons but they work on IR AFAIK and you have to program it for your TV brand, then it works. The Express devices do not come with such a remote (note the missing volume and power buttons). This would not be a problem if Rokus supported CEC like basically everyone else (then you could just use your TV remote) but they do not so you are SOL.

I've got no idea how/why they are making devices like this in this day and age but there you have it. With any Fire TV you can plug it in and your TV remote will work fine and on the opposite side your Fire remote will control the TV as well. You don't even have to think about it--just works, either way. I haven't used a Chromecast myself but if it has CEC it should work the same...again just like any other CEC device in the past decade plus.

On a TV with built-in Roku you obviously avoid this whole problem of lack of CEC.

That said the only other complaint I have about Roku as an OS is there is a lack of 3rd party apps, like you'd get with something Android based. The worst implication here (IMO) is you can't put an ad-free Youtube app on it (that I know of anyway). The ads on Roku YT are also arguably ridiculous at times--popping up like 2-3x, sometimes unskippable, in a 20-30 min video. You can obviously avoid ads by subscribing to YT but I mean anywhere else--PC, Android, etc. you can easily use an adblocker or 3rd party app to block the ads. If you watch a lot of YT content and don't subscribe to YT's paid service, you might want to skip Roku. Also putting on apps/services for getting content via "questionably legal means" (let's put it that way), if you're into that kind of thing, is pretty much not happening. In theory things can be sideloaded on to Roku, but when nobody makes anything to sideload...it's barely worth mentioning.
Nov 19, 2018
142 posts
264 upvotes
ClarkZuckerberg wrote: Interesting. I've had the total opposite experience. Firestick is more cluttered, ads are more in-your-face and obstrusive, and overall have had more glitches and performance problems than Rokus. Roku ads are off to the side, interface is simple and easy to find everything in the order you place it in, none of this multi-level non-sense, as if a TV UI should be the same as Netflix.
maybe this is anecdotal. i have both. i find roku is more user friendly, however, comparing like for like apps (discovery+ and youtube) i find the firestick navigates quicker.
Dec 16, 2004
817 posts
141 upvotes
Toronto
ES_Revenge wrote: The most major disadvantage to [standalone] Rokus is they don't work with CEC; so you are basically stuck with using two remotes unless you have something programmable where you program in the Roku commands/codes.

Some Roku's come with volume control and power buttons but they work on IR AFAIK and you have to program it for your TV brand, then it works. The Express devices do not come with such a remote (note the missing volume and power buttons). This would not be a problem if Rokus supported CEC like basically everyone else (then you could just use your TV remote) but they do not so you are SOL.

I've got no idea how/why they are making devices like this in this day and age but there you have it. With any Fire TV you can plug it in and your TV remote will work fine and on the opposite side your Fire remote will control the TV as well. You don't even have to think about it--just works, either way. I haven't used a Chromecast myself but if it has CEC it should work the same...again just like any other CEC device in the past decade plus.

On a TV with built-in Roku you obviously avoid this whole problem of lack of CEC.

That said the only other complaint I have about Roku as an OS is there is a lack of 3rd party apps, like you'd get with something Android based. The worst implication here (IMO) is you can't put an ad-free Youtube app on it (that I know of anyway). The ads on Roku YT are also arguably ridiculous at times--popping up like 2-3x, sometimes unskippable, in a 20-30 min video. You can obviously avoid ads by subscribing to YT but I mean anywhere else--PC, Android, etc. you can easily use an adblocker or 3rd party app to block the ads. If you watch a lot of YT content and don't subscribe to YT's paid service, you might want to skip Roku. Also putting on apps/services for getting content via "questionably legal means" (let's put it that way), if you're into that kind of thing, is pretty much not happening. In theory things can be sideloaded on to Roku, but when nobody makes anything to sideload...it's barely worth mentioning.
My old ROKU 3 supports CEC on my old 720p Panasonic plasma TV. I imagine newer ones should support it too??
Aug 3, 2005
653 posts
277 upvotes
Roku remote and UI is very clean and straightforward also Roku has "private listening" feature for more than one user through their mobile app (important for us as we watch TV at night when kids are sleeping). I have yet to find the same feature on any other one.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
33251 posts
15131 upvotes
dishguy1977 wrote: My old ROKU 3 supports CEC on my old 720p Panasonic plasma TV. I imagine newer ones should support it too??
They don't. There were some older versions of it that did, which is probably why yours does, but these modern ones do not. As I said it's pretty baffling in 2022.

There is some very limited functionality but it's 1-way only and doesn't do much. I think it can turn some brands of TV on or something but not all. It certainly does not work with a TV's remote nor does it behave like any other even semi-modern CEC device. Roku is way out to lunch with this for some reason.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
33251 posts
15131 upvotes
canadatoronto wrote: Roku remote and UI is very clean and straightforward also Roku has "private listening" feature for more than one user through their mobile app (important for us as we watch TV at night when kids are sleeping). I have yet to find the same feature on any other one.
It's a nice feature yeah. If you get the better remotes (which you can buy separately but not really worth it as you can just buy a better Roku with that remote instead) and they even have an earphones jack on the remote.

They don't have BT but the app way is also a workaround for this--you use the app for audio to your phone and then BT from there to headphones and I think it should work like that.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2002
1349 posts
930 upvotes
YYC
Is this deal for the 4K version? The title is "Roku Streaming Stick 4K Media Streamer" and it says it is dual-band which is not on the HD version. But some of the pictures show the HD box. Confusing....
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2004
2032 posts
492 upvotes
Kelowna, BC
herc wrote: Is this deal for the 4K version? The title is "Roku Streaming Stick 4K Media Streamer" and it says it is dual-band which is not on the HD version. But some of the pictures show the HD box. Confusing....
Most likely the HD version. See here the sale price is the same on the HD Express https://www.roku.com/en-ca/products/players
Mar 26, 2012
233 posts
287 upvotes
Mississauga
herc wrote: Is this deal for the 4K version? The title is "Roku Streaming Stick 4K Media Streamer" and it says it is dual-band which is not on the HD version. But some of the pictures show the HD box. Confusing....
It's not.. I bought it from Best Buy and probably need to return. I wanted to use it in the car, but the hot spot is slow since I need to enable the lower band.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2009
2938 posts
1853 upvotes
Winnipeg
@starchoice Title is Express and picture at CT URL is also the Express but page description is Streaming Stick 4K

If it is the Express I'd give it a thumbs down. It's slow.