Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Canadian Tire

Safer’s BTK caterpillar killer $12.99

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 15th, 2021 7:23 am
May 19, 2019
94 posts
83 upvotes
Try stocktrack.ca to see the storage information. And change the No. of store to 200. You can pay 4.99 shipping fee for Canadian Tire and they will ship it to you so that the distance is not a problem.

Checked Canadian Tire just now. There are about 7 left in Kitchener store.
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2013
1707 posts
592 upvotes
GTA
ferret4it wrote: Some of you may want to invest in Bird feeders instead, I have watched Orioles, Song sparrows, Grackles and other birds devouring these caterpillars at fast as they find them. So far I am seeing minimal damage to my trees and lots of fat birds.
What kind of bird feeder do you have? I'd love to put one up in my backyard but not sure which ones are most effective and prevent squirrels from getting at it.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2009
1122 posts
720 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Moved from the big city to rural area, basically inside a forest. We have thousands of trees around us and multiple acres. The house is "passive solar", it's designed so the trees actually cover most of the roof to provide shade but these gypsy moths are SO BAD, it's affecting my enjoyment to the point of making me question living here. I can't go from the house to the garage without picking up a few of them on my clothes, very often I'm walking outside and one just parachutes on my head.... Hope I don't lose too many trees. basically all my entry/exist points are barricaded by them.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2001
6581 posts
1748 upvotes
rural ontario
MoreDealsPlease wrote: Moved from the big city to rural area, basically inside a forest. We have thousands of trees around us and multiple acres. The house is "passive solar", it's designed so the trees actually cover most of the roof to provide shade but these gypsy moths are SO BAD, it's affecting my enjoyment to the point of making me question living here. I can't go from the house to the garage without picking up a few of them on my clothes, very often I'm walking outside and one just parachutes on my head.... Hope I don't lose too many trees. basically all my entry/exist points are barricaded by them.
Lots and lots of duct tape...
72 69 6c 6c 65 73
Deal Addict
May 12, 2010
2828 posts
1032 upvotes
Vaughan
Just noticed that my trees have these. No stock anywhere around me for the BTK spray. Spent an hour hunting them off my trees yesterday. Had to stop as after a while that sensation of bugs crawling on me got too strong.

For those wrapping with duct tape and lotion. How do you apply the duct tape? Sticky side out? Do you add it at different heights on the trees or just near the base? The bugs are already up in the leaves for my beech trees so is it even worthwhile to wrap at this point? I've sprayed the trees with soapy water for now but I need a better solution.
Public Mobile $34/50GB-CAN-US/30 days
Mar 12, 2012
668 posts
795 upvotes
Belleville
d_source wrote: Just noticed that my trees have these. No stock anywhere around me for the BTK spray. Spent an hour hunting them off my trees yesterday. Had to stop as after a while that sensation of bugs crawling on me got too strong.

For those wrapping with duct tape and lotion. How do you apply the duct tape? Sticky side out? Do you add it at different heights on the trees or just near the base? The bugs are already up in the leaves for my beech trees so is it even worthwhile to wrap at this point? I've sprayed the trees with soapy water for now but I need a better solution.
You're probably too late for effective use of BTK now. It only works when they are small. Are most of yours bigger now?

Duct tape is sticky side out. In my experience duct tape is not very effective against them. (I haven't tried the lotion, but I expect that works well -- I use Tanglefoot myself)

IF you have gypsy's specifically, yes it's still worth it to help reduce them (mostly for next year now). They go up in the leaves to eat when it's cool, but drop down again in the heat of the day. The banding on the trees catches them when they crawl back up
Jan 12, 2007
658 posts
396 upvotes
Toronto
I can't seem to find Tanglefoot in the GTA right now. Hopefully some will pop up soon...
Deal Addict
May 12, 2010
2828 posts
1032 upvotes
Vaughan
Xoanan wrote: You're probably too late for effective use of BTK now. It only works when they are small. Are most of yours bigger now?

Duct tape is sticky side out. In my experience duct tape is not very effective against them. (I haven't tried the lotion, but I expect that works well -- I use Tanglefoot myself)

IF you have gypsy's specifically, yes it's still worth it to help reduce them (mostly for next year now). They go up in the leaves to eat when it's cool, but drop down again in the heat of the day. The banding on the trees catches them when they crawl back up
Thanks for the info. When searching for them yesterday, I found many that were still small. Even if this duct tape method only works on some, at least that's something.

Last year my trees were infested with Japanese beetles and this year these. Ugh.
Apr 25, 2009
332 posts
1192 upvotes
The city of Vaughan put this kind of sticky tape on my boulevard trees - sticky-side up. The caterpillars either get stuck on the tape or they gather below it in the evenings and ive been going around and collecting (killing) them.

From what i understand and i can observe, if you tape some trees, they will figure this out and go to an untaped tree, with oaks being their fave, followed by maples, beech and other deciduous, but they are on my spruces now too.

Soon the moths will be out and ive bought some moth traps:
https://www.urbannaturestore.ca/product ... -moth-trap
I have no experience with these traps, but ive read reviews and recommendations on reputable sites.
Images
  • 20210605_163125.jpg
Deal Addict
May 12, 2010
2828 posts
1032 upvotes
Vaughan
I bought the Dynatrap from Costco last year and it cleared the backyard of mosquitoes. It also caught a lot of moths. I'm hoping this helps with catching the gypsy moths once they hatch this year, although I don't know the difference in moth species.

[Costco] Dynatrap DT1050 Mosquito Repellant - Available at Garden centers
Feb 22, 2009
987 posts
667 upvotes
Ottawa
Another option I read about is to wrap the trunk of the infested tree with burlap. During the day, the larger caterpillars will crawl down and hide underneath it for cover. Before the suns drops and the caterpillars start making their way back up the tree to feed, unwrap the burlap and remove caterpillars from the trunk and shake them out of the burlap. Can soak them in soapy water to dispose of them...just don't release them live again or they may work their way to another tree. The little caterpillars tend to stay up in the leaves until they're larger and mobile enough to go up and down, so: 1) spray leaves with BTK or soapy water, 2) pluck them off, I used a stick and small container (some ppl have allergic skin reactions), or 3) hose spray leaves, or gently shake your tree branches to try to knock them off.
Feb 15, 2006
191 posts
291 upvotes
d_source wrote: I bought the Dynatrap from Costco last year and it cleared the backyard of mosquitoes. It also caught a lot of moths. I'm hoping this helps with catching the gypsy moths once they hatch this year, although I don't know the difference in moth species.

[Costco] Dynatrap DT1050 Mosquito Repellant - Available at Garden centers
I'm in Southwestern Ontario and we got ravaged last year. The Dynatrap does work well once they're into the moth stage, but to make it really effective I would recommend trying to order a pheromone strip online. If you buy the little traps online that look like a water bottle, they give you this little sticky plastic thing with pheromone to stick on the underside of the lid. And it works REALLY well. I think you can order just the pheromone strips as "refills". You could also catch some females if you know what you're looking for and place them into the trap to attract the males.

I live on a regular 1/4 acre but we had literally 10,000 of these in our backyard last year (back onto a woodlot). We ended up using a shop vac for removal. We found that they are drawn to flat surfaces (deck railing, siding of buildings, eavestrough) and I could literally suck up 500-1000 in an hour or so of vacuuming. I did this daily for several weeks and always managed to get 500-1000 (you can suck the side of a shed clean, wait 30 minutes, and a fresh batch has come up from the grass and onto the siding). Many die from the force of being sucked up, but to ensure a 100% kill rate fill it with water a squirt of dawn dish soap and leave overnight before dumping. MAKE SURE YOU DUMP IT THE NEXT DAY as when they die and rot they smell godawful.

If this is the first year you've had these, they will likely come back next year even worse. They follow a four phase cycle and after the first year or two of getting established you get exponential growth. Do everything you can to kill these things so you don't lose any trees. If you see one, crush it's head with your thumb. Take no prisoners. Don't do it half assed; put in time daily to try and control it.
Mar 12, 2012
668 posts
795 upvotes
Belleville
Hornell wrote: . We ended up using a shop vac for removal. We found that they are drawn to flat surfaces (deck railing, siding of buildings, eavestrough) and I could literally suck up 500-1000 in an hour or so of vacuuming. I did this daily for several weeks and always managed to get 500-1000 (you can suck the side of a shed clean, wait 30 minutes, and a fresh batch has come up from the grass and onto the siding). Many die from the force of being sucked up, but to ensure a 100% kill rate fill it with water a squirt of dawn dish soap and leave overnight before dumping. MAKE SURE YOU DUMP IT THE NEXT DAY as when they die and rot they smell godawful.
Now THAT is a very clever idea! I'm totally doing that this year, just wish they sold the 18V ridgid vac, as It's going to be a pain going around my place with a big vac and an extension cord.

I wonder if the impeller on my leaf mulcher would work...

WRT the smell, I toss a small chlorine puck into my death bucket for caterpillars, so I can make sure they are good and dead before I dump it, keep the smell out.
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2009
1322 posts
906 upvotes
East of Toronto
TAZ99 wrote: I can't seem to find Tanglefoot in the GTA right now. Hopefully some will pop up soon...
Some alternatives people use are grease, Crisco or Vaseline. I ended up ordering a few tubs of Tanglefoot from halifaxseed.ca.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 30, 2003
7613 posts
1105 upvotes
It's a little late for BTK right now, but I've found that another Safer product works well against them, been using End-All and it works really well.
My nick doesn't mean I'm happy any more than yours means you're a sex machine.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 25, 2010
6254 posts
3216 upvotes
Abbottabad
Poor bugs. They’re just trying to live.
Sep 17, 2007
924 posts
844 upvotes
Toronto
Please Don't kill tiny black and orange caterpillars. That's literally the worst thing you can do. They will soon turn into ladybugs and will feed on aphids,the actual damage causing pest.

Be lucky to have them in your garden. They are what you see on your cherry and plum trees and especially where you have aphids infestations. They're on your side!
Thanks

Last edited by DARSHAKJUST4U on Jun 9th, 2021 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jan 12, 2007
658 posts
396 upvotes
Toronto
DRC wrote: Some alternatives people use are grease, Crisco or Vaseline. I ended up ordering a few tubs of Tanglefoot from halifaxseed.ca.
Did you wrap the tree with anything before applying ?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)