Sharp 4K Roku Smart TV, 58-in - 419.99

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 24th, 2020 9:12 pm
Thread Summary
55 replies
Nov 21, 2016
149 posts
71 upvotes
How is Sharp's quality recently? I think the Japan Sharp licensed the manufacture to China Company
All as well
Apr 19, 2020
531 posts
863 upvotes
langley
Not worth buying cheap tvs buy a good brand
I got a free cheap ones they don't look good paid around 800 for 65 and so much better and can get at Costco for good warrenty
Deal Fanatic
Apr 15, 2009
6637 posts
5303 upvotes
M-Arkham
nimenkanne wrote: How is Sharp's quality recently? I think the Japan Sharp licensed the manufacture to China Company
in North America, all the Sharp TVs are made by Hisense
1x Virgin $35 for 20GB unlimited can wide talk n unlimited txt n 1000 int min
1x Fido $45 for 20Gb w/ unlimited Canada wide
Mar 23, 2018
265 posts
102 upvotes
How does this compare with the Hisense Q7G in the other Costco thread? Aside from the 3” size difference?
Dec 24, 2005
485 posts
68 upvotes
I can't find reviews on this anywhere. I'll be going in to see it tomorrow. HDR, UHD, 60Hz.....seems almost too good to be true.
Jan 25, 2018
68 posts
21 upvotes
Saw this tonight. I’m looking for a cheap tv to use outside (with the hopes of sports coming back). Think this might fit the bill.
May 23, 2013
37 posts
23 upvotes
Toronto
I have this one. It's not bad, I think I paid a similar price for it during boxing day. I probably need to get a soundbar to maximize my viewing experience. Only wish that it had chromecast capabilities and one more HDMI port.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 6, 2010
8919 posts
4837 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Why does everyone like smart TV now?
I like dumb TV with a good TV box more.
And what happen to the Audio output? Most TV do not have audio output these days.
How are you suppose to connect to speakers?
If I buy something that is not in deep discounted, my father will punish me; everyone will laugh at me. I will be the strange kid who doesn't fit in.
Guide to get free movie BOGO code from Virgin Mobile
How to setup PAP in Tangerine
Dec 24, 2005
485 posts
68 upvotes
followifyoulead wrote: I have this one. It's not bad, I think I paid a similar price for it during boxing day. I probably need to get a soundbar to maximize my viewing experience. Only wish that it had chromecast capabilities and one more HDMI port.
Is the technology significantly older than what TV's are like now? I have no clue the release date on this model.
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2006
1723 posts
311 upvotes
theflyingsquirrel wrote: Why does everyone like smart TV now?
And what happen to the Audio output? Most TV do not have audio output these days.
Audio out from HDMI and Optical, you need external DAC if your speakers only take analog in.
May 23, 2013
37 posts
23 upvotes
Toronto
sportznutt wrote: Is the technology significantly older than what TV's are like now? I have no clue the release date on this model.
It’s not “cutting-edge”, but it is 4K and HDR. HDR’s probably not gonna rate too high by AV diehards but it’s pretty standard for today I think. It’s good if you want 4K but don’t want to spend too much. Picture is pretty good, wifi’s not bad - but Roku doesn’t have a Crave app or Chromecast.
Mar 15, 2005
844 posts
763 upvotes
theflyingsquirrel wrote: Why does everyone like smart TV now?
I have 3 nvidia sheilds in my home. I recently bought a TCL 6 series thinking i would hook up the nvidia shield to it. After playing with the build it roku, i decided to repurpose the nvidia sheild elsewhere. Roku is extremely capable, very clean, decent. Not as snappy as nvidia shield but for a TV for the den, its clean and has access to Plex/livetv amazon/disney+/netflix

I had a spare denon 4520ci receiver circa 2012 (pre atmos days) that i used to drive surround sound for that tv. There are 2 options to hook it up. the first is using the optical cable, but i recommend giving HDMI ARC (audio return channel) a shot. You need to enable HDMI CEC on both the tv and the receiver. Some have issues with CEC, but it works flawlessly for me. It allows 2 way data transfer across a single HDMI cable. I can use it from the Receiver outputting to the TV, but it also will push audio from the TV to the receiver. HDMI arc supports higher bandwitdth than optical (allowing you for higher quality sound formats like dolby trueHD/DTS MA) In addition, I thought i would need a harmony remote. I was pleasantly surprised when the little TCL tv remote automagically turns the receiver on/off and controls the volume on the receiver via HDMI-cec negating the need for a smart remote.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2003
1317 posts
181 upvotes
Toronto
nimenkanne wrote: How is Sharp's quality recently? I think the Japan Sharp licensed the manufacture to China Company
Outside of North America, Sharp is made/owned by the Taiwanese company Foxconn
Jan 25, 2018
68 posts
21 upvotes
followifyoulead wrote: It’s not “cutting-edge”, but it is 4K and HDR. HDR’s probably not gonna rate too high by AV diehards but it’s pretty standard for today I think. It’s good if you want 4K but don’t want to spend too much. Picture is pretty good, wifi’s not bad - but Roku doesn’t have a Crave app or Chromecast.
I was hoping to put a Fire Stick in here to access Bell Fibe. Would this work?

Also, do you think this is a good option for an outdoor tv, without breaking the bank?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 6, 2010
8919 posts
4837 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
popo wrote: Audio out from HDMI and Optical, you need external DAC if your speakers only take analog in.
Isn't it good to have just audio out from TV so all video source you play will be coming out from the speakers?
Instead, you need to connect DAC from one of the HDMI and then instead of using on TV HDMI, you need to use HDMI from DAC.
I mean the whole design concept is so stupid.
If I buy something that is not in deep discounted, my father will punish me; everyone will laugh at me. I will be the strange kid who doesn't fit in.
Mar 15, 2005
844 posts
763 upvotes
theflyingsquirrel wrote: Isn't it good to have just audio out from TV so all video source you play will be coming out from the speakers?
Instead, you need to connect DAC from one of the HDMI and then instead of using on TV HDMI, you need to use HDMI from DAC.
I mean the whole design concept is so stupid.
if the HDMI port supports and is labeled HDMI-ARC
Then you only need a single hdmi cable.
You can use that same hdmi cable for an input , but it will also output sound from the TV to the receiver over that same cable.
https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-thea ... orks-care/
Deal Fanatic
Jun 6, 2010
8919 posts
4837 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
discoblues wrote: if the HDMI port supports and is labeled HDMI-ARC
Then you only need a single hdmi cable.
You can use that same hdmi cable for an input , but it will also output sound from the TV to the receiver over that same cable.
https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-thea ... orks-care/
I briefly read it and it seems that you need to connect the source to speaker system and then from there to TV?
And everything needs to be compatible too.
What I really want is just simple RCA connectors from TV to some old school receivers or even computer speaker systems.
Nov 20, 2018
37 posts
154 upvotes
better than Skyworth, RCA and HiSense. I have 55" FHD bought 2016 and still good.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)