Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Canadian Tire

Sifto Safe Step Xtreme Ice Melter 20kg bag $9.99

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 9th, 2017 4:01 pm
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2004
2225 posts
765 upvotes
Halton

[Canadian Tire] Sifto Safe Step Xtreme Ice Melter 20kg bag $9.99

Select the 20kg bag from size options. Should be Product #199-3495-2.
This is comparable to the Alaskan Ice Melter.

Maybe PM with Home Depot ($18.98) for additional savings?
27 replies
Feb 20, 2008
626 posts
842 upvotes
Good deal - haven't seen the deals on Alaskan as in previous years.

I grabbed some of this in the 10 kg bags on the Boxing Day sale for $4.99. Easier to handle when dragging inside.
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2007
2758 posts
1857 upvotes
Niagara On The Lake
OP product and Alaskan Ice melter's are the blue crystal that work over approx -10C where in regular salt and sand mix is ineffective. Also, these blue crystals are not corrosive on concrete or interlock driveways and do not harm perennials, if you have them around your driveway. They do not create a sandy residual mess after. Hence they are twice more expensive.

I usually put the salt and ice mix (such as your 40 kg bag) on the municipal walkway and the good stuff on my driveway. If you have a huge driveway, then like me, you are screwed with your budget.

Hope this helps.
Voltz23 wrote: How much better is it that this 40KG ice melter bag for 12.19$ ?
http://www.rona.ca/en/ice-melter-8308008--1

I bought a 40KG bag but maybe those smaller bags are much better and safer?
Come visit Niagara On The Lake
Voted Prettiest, Friendliest & Most Haunted town in Canada
Support local small business
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2006
3385 posts
441 upvotes
Montreal
40kg for 12$ at Rona seems like a much better deal.
I was there at the 32$ price error at dell.ca day AND at the 150$ off price error at fs.ca
RFD price error moto: "Buy now, think later." -Ahzuz
Apr 27, 2010
636 posts
278 upvotes
StealthFinder wrote: OP product and Alaskan Ice melter's are the blue crystal that work over approx -10C where in regular salt and sand mix is ineffective. Also, these blue crystals are not corrosive on concrete or interlock driveways and do not harm perennials, if you have them around your driveway. They do not create a sandy residual mess after. Hence they are twice more expensive.

I usually put the salt and ice mix (such as your 40 kg bag) on the municipal walkway and the good stuff on my driveway. If you have a huge driveway, then like me, you are screwed with your budget.

Hope this helps.
Just a heads up the blue is usually from iron. Iron + salt = good at corrosion. Works well, but you better have sprung for the good undercoat on your vehicle.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2006
3198 posts
1023 upvotes
Vancouver
Ahzuz wrote: 40kg for 12$ at Rona seems like a much better deal.
That is just rock salt while the one in CT contains calcium cholride and works up to -31c.
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2007
2715 posts
562 upvotes
Anyone know the temps on the rona salt? ct says it can work up to -31c
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
4278 posts
5209 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Ahzuz wrote: 40kg for 12$ at Rona seems like a much better deal.
But the $12 at Rona get's you 40kg of plain salt which is ineffective under 5ºC. And at that price (which is the regular price), I'd prefer to get the 20kg bags from costco which are usually $5 to $6 (so roughly same price as Rona), but easier to handle.
Each one has it's purpose.

The Alaskan Ice melter and Sifto Ice melter Xtreme is effective to -31°C. And since it doesn't tend to refreeze as easily, it is also safer on concrete. With regular salt, it melts the snow/ice, then it gets absorbed into the concrete (yes concrete is porous) and when temperature drops it re-freezes, expands and damages concrete. With effectiveness down to -31ºC on the other stuff, it has less of a chance of refreezing. So these fewer freeze/thaw cycles is really what prevents your concrete from damage. They are both salts after all, just a different salt.

I use a combination of both. the regular salt stuff goes on city sidewalks, and asphalt covered driveway (which gets sealed yearly anyhow), since it is cheap and I use plenty of it. And the premium stuff goes on my concrete balcony/stairs.
Sep 3, 2006
314 posts
141 upvotes
Montreal
Wow thanks for the info! I just got a pavement driveway and I was not aware of that! I guess I should buy OP's salt and return my 40kg to Rona
Mar 18, 2015
238 posts
184 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Does the blue stuff lower the freezing point of the water after it's been melted?
Nov 18, 2008
784 posts
341 upvotes
Toronto
man, gotta get some of these, salt has created many time tiny tiny holes on my concrete stairs but the driveway/main porch area is fine, oh well, i'll fill the concrete stairs when it gets bad.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2012
3267 posts
1436 upvotes
Aren't all these deadly for pets, ie: dogs
If I have answered your question, Hit the Ol' THUMBS UP❗
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2006
3385 posts
441 upvotes
Montreal
Answers wrote: Aren't all these deadly for pets, ie: dogs
bad for paws but deadly is a bit exaggerated.
I was there at the 32$ price error at dell.ca day AND at the 150$ off price error at fs.ca
RFD price error moto: "Buy now, think later." -Ahzuz
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2012
3267 posts
1436 upvotes
internet tells me that 2oz of calcium chloride will result in death to a 4lb dog or under.
If I have answered your question, Hit the Ol' THUMBS UP❗
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2006
3198 posts
1023 upvotes
Vancouver
For those who have used both this and Alaskan, what are your observations? Given the same price, which will you choose?
Feb 20, 2008
626 posts
842 upvotes
yvrwindsor wrote: For those who have used both this and Alaskan, what are your observations? Given the same price, which will you choose?
Grab the CT deal - no current hit deals on Alaskan.

I'm a die hard Alaskan guy, but the Sifto Xtreme seems to do the job.

Looks to be an icy winter so far - gotta get a couple buckets of fine sand as well if we get some thick flash freezes.
Oct 17, 2015
418 posts
125 upvotes
Mississauga
Alaskan is better than this but this stuff isn't bad for the price I always choose the Sifto Extreme over the alaskan. This does better if applied earlier into ice accumulation whereas the alaskan does better even if applied later.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)