Expired Hot Deals

[Canadian Tire] Skilsaw SPT99-12 Heavy Duty Worm Drive Table Saw with Stand, 10-in [Can Pricematch with HD]

[OP]
Aug 14, 2007
138 posts
16 upvotes

[Canadian Tire] Skilsaw SPT99-12 Heavy Duty Worm Drive Table Saw with Stand, 10-in [Can Pricematch with HD]

I've been eyeing this saw for a while and right now Canadian Tire is selling this table saw for 599.99 which is the lowest I've seen it go for. I called Home Depot, got them to price match and beat it by 10% it so it came down to 539.99.

There is also a Dewalt DWE-7480 on sale for 299.99 and that's a great deal in my opinion, my father-in-law has one and I'm very familiar with it but I went with the Skilsaw for a several reasons:

1) Ability to accept dado sets.
2) The worm-drive provides more torq and power. I've read and watched literally every single review on the internet and this is not a gimmick. Not only will it power through cuts but the worm drive also allows the blade to go higher which means it's the only saw in this class able to cut 4x in one pass.
3) The stand it comes with is also best in class. The 16inch wheels lets you wheel it around very easily, even up the stairs with one hand according to one reviewer who's probably way stronger than I am.

If none of these things are important to you and it may not be for everyone then I would probably just get the DeWalt, I used it and you can't go wrong. If you want one of the most powerful and versatile saws and have space issues or just prefer the ability to move your table saw in and out of the way, this one is hard to beat.

Skilsaw also carries two table top versions but they each have some significant limitations. The main disadvantage is the older one has a slightly weaker motor and it doesn't have as good a fence (rack and pinion) as the big brother. There is a newer 8.5 inch version available with the rack and pinion fence but it only accepts an 8.5 inch blade, so you'll have less blade options and can't swap blades with your mitre saw if you have one. They're all good saws from what I read/watched but right now it's only $90 more for a better fence and a stand (plus just a better more powerful saw). Stands are usually $150 and upgrading a table saw fence will cost you at least half of what the saw cost so it's a no-brainer if those things matter to you.

Hope this helps someone! Cheers!
Last edited by roxtc on May 8th, 2020 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
13 replies
[OP]
Aug 14, 2007
138 posts
16 upvotes
Gotoff wrote: Do you have a link for the DeWalt? Seems like reg Price at ctire
You know what it must have just went back up. Last night it was 299 and it was also 299 at Rona previous week too. Lowest I can find now is a little over $400 at Rona. If that's the case I'd try to price match the Bosch GTS1031. It's 299 and you could probably get it for 269.99. Bosch owns Skilsaw and I'd say them and Dewalt are all comparable saws with tradeoffs here or there. The Bosch accepts a 1/2" Dado too and the Dewalt does not.

https://www.lowes.ca/product/table-saws ... lsrc=aw.ds
Jan 30, 2016
110 posts
29 upvotes
Westmount, QC
I bought the Ridgid R44171 (with stand) for $200 at HD Beaubien (Montreal) last month. Last week it was still going for that price I think. Not the fanciest brand but the fence seemed to be at least as stable as the one on the DeWalt demo and it takes dado blades.
[OP]
Aug 14, 2007
138 posts
16 upvotes
Rigids offer great bang for the buck and generally can accomplish anything you want. It's going to be a really good tool but I went with the Skilsaw because I'm of the philosophy of "buy nice or buy twice" or "buy your last tool first".

You generally save money in the long run if you know it's something you'll get a lot of use out of over the next 5-10 years. There's no guarantee it'll last that long if you don't buy Rigid but table saws generally do. It doesn't always work out, sometimes I end up "buying nice twice" because my needs/wants changed, I just like to have options or I was an idiot and ruined the nice thing I bought the first time. Since a tablesaw is a staple and arguably the most useful cutting tool in any garage/workshop, most people generally advise to get the best one you can afford or just get an used Mastercraft 113 and point some work into it.
Jul 20, 2012
179 posts
115 upvotes
Montreal
If you dig more deeper on Reddit Dewalt do accept Dado until 3/8" but very expensive, like Freud SBOX8.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2008
3887 posts
2318 upvotes
Works out in the consumer's favour, but 10% off of $700 is $70, not $100 as indicated.

I have the smaller Skilsaw SPT70WT-22 and I bought this stand used on kijiji hoping it would fit mine (was an out of town seller, picked up for me by a friend), but the saw in the OP is larger and mine won't fit without using a plywood base. Anywho, it feels kinda cheap compared to the Bosch stand. The larger wheels are big plus if you are transporting it up/down stairs and it is definitely lighter weight, but that is a trade-off for thinner metal tubing. The locking mechanism is cheap and I often have to manually fiddle with it to get it to engage and disengage.
Jan 30, 2016
110 posts
29 upvotes
Westmount, QC
roxtc wrote: Rigids offer great bang for the buck and generally can accomplish anything you want. It's going to be a really good tool but I went with the Skilsaw because I'm of the philosophy of "buy nice or buy twice" or "buy your last tool first".

You generally save money in the long run if you know it's something you'll get a lot of use out of over the next 5-10 years. There's no guarantee it'll last that long if you don't buy Rigid but table saws generally do. It doesn't always work out, sometimes I end up "buying nice twice" because my needs/wants changed, I just like to have options or I was an idiot and ruined the nice thing I bought the first time. Since a tablesaw is a staple and arguably the most useful cutting tool in any garage/workshop, most people generally advise to get the best one you can afford or just get an used Mastercraft 113 and point some work into it.
If you were in the market for a hybrid or cabinet saw, i would say sure don't take Ridgid but something more durable with the best fence available, but comparing contractor saws, I feel like they are all more or less junk and imprecise, so might as well save a few hundred bucks with whatever is on sale.
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
3176 posts
1958 upvotes
Montreal
roxtc wrote: 2) The worm-drive provides more torq and power. I've read and watched literally every single review on the internet and this is not a gimmick. Not only will it power through cuts but the worm drive also allows the blade to go higher which means it's the only saw in this class able to cut 4x in one pass.
FYI it is mostly BS. The reason their worm drive circular saw has more torque is the blade runs at a lower RPM, i.e. more gear reduction/torque multiplication. If a hub geared saw do the same gear reduction it would have the same torque if not more. Worm drive has its advantages but higher torque isn't one.
[OP]
Aug 14, 2007
138 posts
16 upvotes
petercxc wrote: If you dig more deeper on Reddit Dewalt do accept Dado until 3/8" but very expensive, like Freud SBOX8.
Yes that's true but I'd rather not do something the manufacturer did not intend and especially when I have to pay way more to do so.
SizzleChest wrote: Works out in the consumer's favour, but 10% off of $700 is $70, not $100 as indicated.
What? It's $100 off which is 599 at Canadian tire and then another %10 if you price match them at HD so I got $160 off actually.
jzmtl wrote: FYI it is mostly BS. The reason their worm drive circular saw has more torque is the blade runs at a lower RPM, i.e. more gear reduction/torque multiplication. If a hub geared saw do the same gear reduction it would have the same torque if not more. Worm drive has its advantages but higher torque isn't one.
I don't think that's accurate. I'm not an engineer but lower RPM doesn't just equal more torque automatically. If you're familiar with cars, if you don't shift down you don't get more torque just by slowing your car down. Or if tools is your thing, you'll know that to get more torque on a drill press you change which pulleys the belt is seated on, which will reduce the RPM as well. Vice versa, you can't just back the speed on a hand drill to get more torque it just rotates slower but no torque is gained.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2008
3887 posts
2318 upvotes
roxtc wrote:

What? It's $100 off which is 599 at Canadian tire and then another %10 if you price match them at HD so I got $160 off actually.
I wasn't referring to the 10% price match.

In the CT link, it says "save 10% ($100)". 10% of the $700 original price is only $70, not $100.
[OP]
Aug 14, 2007
138 posts
16 upvotes
I get you now! I didn't notice that at all. I tend to ignore things that are in my favour, got enough bones to pick as it is!
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
3176 posts
1958 upvotes
Montreal
roxtc wrote:
I don't think that's accurate. I'm not an engineer but lower RPM doesn't just equal more torque automatically. If you're familiar with cars, if you don't shift down you don't get more torque just by slowing your car down. Or if tools is your thing, you'll know that to get more torque on a drill press you change which pulleys the belt is seated on, which will reduce the RPM as well. Vice versa, you can't just back the speed on a hand drill to get more torque it just rotates slower but no torque is gained.
Two different concepts my man, in your example of car slowing down and back off hand drill speed, the motor slows down thus reduce torque input. Downshift/change pulley keep the motor speed/torque output same while increase gear reduction/torque multiplication.

In case of circular/table saw, they all use brushed 10/15 amp motor which produce the same torque and spin at the same RPM, but a higher gear reduction would produce lower RPM/higher torque at the saw blade.

Basically being worm drive does not provide more torque, rather in these particular saws, the worm drive is designed with a higher gear reduction, which fundamentally produce more torque at blade.
[OP]
Aug 14, 2007
138 posts
16 upvotes
jzmtl wrote: Two different concepts my man, in your example of car slowing down and back off hand drill speed, the motor slows down thus reduce torque input. Downshift/change pulley keep the motor speed/torque output same while increase gear reduction/torque multiplication.

In case of circular/table saw, they all use brushed 10/15 amp motor which produce the same torque and spin at the same RPM, but a higher gear reduction would produce lower RPM/higher torque at the saw blade.

Basically being worm drive does not provide more torque, rather in these particular saws, the worm drive is designed with a higher gear reduction, which fundamentally produce more torque at blade.
They're not all the same motor. Even the different Skilsaw table saws have different motors. I think you're talking about the ratings of the motor but the design is different thus it's a wormdrive. It's why they are the only ones who can raise the blade 3 1/2 inches high. If that's not a different design then why don't other manufacturers also take advantage of the same benefits like having more power and torque and being able to raise the blade higher?