• Last Updated:
  • Apr 24th, 2019 11:07 pm
[OP]
Sep 5, 2008
409 posts
267 upvotes
Port Moody

[Canadian Tire] Stanley Black Chrome Socket Set, 183-pc $99.99

Usually the regular price is pretty hyper inflated, but value-wise $99 for this set still seems like a pretty good deal!

Do click the videos down below and watch Karen's testimonial... 'cause Karen knows!

DESCRIPTION
A nice, all-around set of sockets – these have the Stanley mark of quality. From your vehicle to many household uses, this set’s stocked with what it takes to handle anything. The anti-corroding black chrome finish will be the envy of all your friends. And the warranty will never let you down.

FEATURES
Stanley Black Chrome Socket Set contains 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2" drives, as well as six wrenches
Designed with easy to read laser etched markings, and durable black chrome plating that provides improved rust resistance
Pear head ratchet features a quick release button and reversible mechanism
Set includes 183 pieces
Last edited by TomRFD on Apr 23rd, 2019 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added price to title
57 replies
Jan 2, 2015
343 posts
288 upvotes
Bought it 2 years ago for my in-laws.
Wanted a Mastercraft for easy exchange of defective parts, but the Stanley really hold the sockets in place, and that was really what they wanted.

Good quality.
Oct 2, 2007
158 posts
13 upvotes
My local Canadian Tire in NS has a sign (billboard lettering) saying spend $200 get $35 (I think) back on April 25th. The posted during the first weekend of April.
[OP]
Sep 5, 2008
409 posts
267 upvotes
Port Moody
steven80 wrote:
Apr 22nd, 2019 11:47 am
$449... LOL
I feel like companies should be able to prove their retail price... I mean, who actually has ever paid that much for this?
Jul 13, 2016
40 posts
33 upvotes
jerschwab wrote:
Apr 22nd, 2019 1:03 pm
I feel like companies should be able to prove their retail price... I mean, who actually has ever paid that much for this?
Sears used to jack the price up the week before a sale so they could lie and say regular price was 40% off.

Canadian Tire doesn't do that - they actually have these kits on the shelf for $450 about half of the time, and it's on various "sales" the other half of the time.
Aug 21, 2010
122 posts
48 upvotes
toronto
over inflated price just like shoppers drugmart
Jan 9, 2012
393 posts
70 upvotes
Toronto
I purchased this set on the weekend. I needed a socket set as I was tired of borrowing other peoples and having THE ONE SIZE I NEEDED MISSING!

I have not used it yet but it seems nice. The black is nice vs, the regular chrome, as I will be able to tell who has my socket. The case is nice too, seems to hold everything in place - you actually have to use a decent amount of force to get some of the sockets out.

Overall seems decent, definitively would never pay $450 for it but for $100 it seems decent.
Feb 2, 2010
437 posts
239 upvotes
Cambridge
I have a Mastercraft set that I'm generally pleased with, however, the case is a complete POS. All 4 of the flaps that snap closed to keep the case shut have broken off, leaving me to use Velcro ties around the handle as the only way to keep it firmly shut. I contacted CT and they said the tools were a lifetime warranty, but there is no coverage on the case (she also told me they have had many calls like mine). As a result, I'm in the market for a new set. Anyone have any feedback on the Stanley cases?
Nov 29, 2011
369 posts
297 upvotes
CALGARY
I was on the fence, but Karen sealed the deal. Her using this on the heavy machinery really helped me decide on getting this.
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2016
1713 posts
1152 upvotes
Ottawa
I have an old cheap set where elastic straps hold the sockets in the case and everything's just all loose in there and I'm sure some are missing now. I've been thinking about getting a new set for myself, that's good for average homeowner use around the house and comes in a nice case that stays organized forever. Any reason I shouldn't go for this?
I am a current customer of Public Mobile and Koodo and STACK
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2006
2064 posts
199 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
cappaj wrote:
Apr 22nd, 2019 2:05 pm
I have an old cheap set where elastic straps hold the sockets in the case and everything's just all loose in there and I'm sure some are missing now. I've been thinking about getting a new set for myself, that's good for average homeowner use around the house and comes in a nice case that stays organized forever. Any reason I shouldn't go for this?
If you don't have a need for the Allen's, the wrenches then go for the cheaper set. I've had the set just below this one, and bought the wrenches and everything 'extra' separately over the years - some from different brands - and I love this kit. Stanley is solid for these sets, they still feel new and I've done an exorbitant amount of repairs with them.
Feb 2, 2010
437 posts
239 upvotes
Cambridge
cappaj wrote:
Apr 22nd, 2019 2:05 pm
Looking at this set for the same reason. In looking at the pictures, my main issue is that it's listed as having 183 pieces, which sounds pretty complete, but from the picture it looks like 40 of them are screwdriver bits, and another 16 are Allen keys. I have lots of both already.