Stanley Black Chrome Socket Set, 229-pc $139.99

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 17th, 2021 4:47 pm
[OP]
Oct 18, 2010
7 posts
8 upvotes

[Canadian Tire] Stanley Black Chrome Socket Set, 229-pc $139.99

I have been in the market for a decent socket set. Not sure how it compares to recent comparable deals.

Claims to be 70% off but can't take CT seriously with their discount claims.
14 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2006
4907 posts
2066 upvotes
Winnipeg
shanmur wrote: Claims to be 70% off but can't take CT seriously with their discount claims.
You took all the fun away from those that like to sale-splain in every Canadian Tire thread.

I bought this set last year and it's been very good for me.
Don't like the thread? Hide it or report it. Don't incessantly complain about it in the thread, please.
Aug 1, 2020
147 posts
75 upvotes
Whitby
This is a repost. It's also $10 more than the original post last week
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2006
4907 posts
2066 upvotes
Winnipeg
Janajda wrote: This is a repost. It's also $10 more than the original post last week
That sale expired and this is a new one. The sale price of this item has fluctuated between $99 - $139, it seems, over the past year.
Don't like the thread? Hide it or report it. Don't incessantly complain about it in the thread, please.
Oct 12, 2011
17 posts
14 upvotes
Calgary
I have used this set for a couple years now. Its been good. I wouldn't recommend it for a mechanic daily driver. But for your home gamer, is great. Nice smooth ratcheting.
Dec 24, 2007
310 posts
490 upvotes
under tall pines
as mentionned in the other thread, these rachets have problems where they jam

i took the 3/8ths apart today, packed it with grease and its working again. t8 torx to get it apart
Mar 28, 2011
22 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto
I have a similar stanley set, Is there a way to use these small bit drivers that come with this set with an impact driver? I have tried using them but they don't get locked to the chuck and fall off (i have a dewalt impact driver)? Wondering if i should consider buying a new impact bit set or i can work with these for household work.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2011
1507 posts
433 upvotes
PEI
jags_the1 wrote: I have a similar stanley set, Is there a way to use these small bit drivers that come with this set with an impact driver? I have tried using them but they don't get locked to the chuck and fall off (i have a dewalt impact driver)? Wondering if i should consider buying a new impact bit set or i can work with these for household work.
Something like this will work :D
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07G1T6VBZ/
Jul 27, 2009
752 posts
223 upvotes
toronto
Cheap junk. You get what u pay for. The case will break very easily. (Voice of experience)
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2019
1207 posts
2442 upvotes
Canada
Change the yellow logo into DeWalt and this will be a lava deal Face With Tears Of Joy
Live a little
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2009
4918 posts
2502 upvotes
Toronto
TrueToy wrote: i took the 3/8ths apart today, packed it with grease and its working again. t8 torx to get it apart
Thanks for this.
I've been waiting since Feb 01 for the warranty replacement. It's been on back order and told it was shipping out mid May. Still waiting.
Good thing I've got some other 3/8" ratchets lying around.
Nov 15, 2018
32 posts
41 upvotes
Not a fan of this socket wrench's mechanism - I've had issues with it and had to return it.

Rule of thumb for Canadian tire private labels is to never buy it at full price! They will promote the sh*t out of it
Dec 24, 2007
310 posts
490 upvotes
under tall pines
ROYinTO wrote: Thanks for this.
I've been waiting since Feb 01 for the warranty replacement. It's been on back order and told it was shipping out mid May. Still waiting.
Good thing I've got some other 3/8" ratchets lying around.
there's a little spring and a flat metal piece that rides on the crescent. its easiest to use the crescent piece to hold everything in place in the center position while you drop the drive in from behind. took me a few min to figure out but next time will be really easy. i should probably do the other ratchets too.
Cottoneyecho wrote: Not a fan of this socket wrench's mechanism - I've had issues with it and had to return it.

Rule of thumb for Canadian tire private labels is to never buy it at full price! They will promote the sh*t out of it
i agree. but if you have this set and nothing else, and ask me to take a look at your car/hvac/dishwasher/dryer/whatever and dont have any tools at your house, there's a good chance it can get fixed.

i'll certainly be investing in better tools once i can afford them, but this is a good start kit at ~100$ or so. i dont know if i'd recommend paying over 150$ for this, let alone """retail"""
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2009
4918 posts
2502 upvotes
Toronto
ROYinTO wrote: I've been waiting since Feb 01 for the warranty replacement. It's been on back order and told it was shipping out mid May. Still waiting.
The warranty replacement finally arrived today. Opened the package, gave it a couple of cranks in my hand and it seized. Thanks to @TrueToy for telling me how to fix it.
If not, I'd be really upset.