Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Canadian Tire

Stanley Professional Grade Black Chrome Socket Set, 183-pc, SAE/Metric $99.99

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 29th, 2022 11:57 am
[OP]
Oct 29, 2021
5 posts
6 upvotes

[Canadian Tire] Stanley Professional Grade Black Chrome Socket Set, 183-pc, SAE/Metric $99.99

My car battery broke down few days ago and I am thinking about buying a tool set to replace it myself. Is this a good buy at all?
Thinking I rarely need to use it, but when I do, I really hope it does the job nicely.
Also, do this set fulfill general house usage? I live by myself and hope to fix things myself in most cases but I have only a few screwdrivers.... Thanks very much!
19 replies
Sep 26, 2016
30 posts
62 upvotes
You'll find them frequently on sale at CanTire. At home DIYer, sure, but there's better for sure for that price even. Gearwrench (KMS/Summit) or Icon (Harbor Freight) are some great sets to start with.
Nov 12, 2013
144 posts
280 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
I bought this set when we moved into our house 3 years ago for the same price. It’s served me well so far! I’ve used it dozens of times for stuff around the house (assembling furniture and mounting stuff mainly) and it hasn’t failed me yet.
Jul 19, 2015
728 posts
786 upvotes
London, ON
This goes on for this price every few weeks, it's really what it's regular price should be, not the crazy inflated usual CT price schemes. It's not a deal when it's pretty much always this price.
Nov 9, 2021
855 posts
1812 upvotes
What is a good set to buy for car and home use? If it’s not on sale that’s ok, can always set up an alert.

I always see people mention in CT set threads that there is better but I haven’t found the ‘better’ yet.
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2019
1094 posts
1230 upvotes
it's a pretty good set. I picked it up off the clearance table earlier this year for like $60-70. Would still get it for $100 if I needed it.
Apr 21, 2012
363 posts
112 upvotes
Toronto
darknebulae wrote: What is a good set to buy for car and home use? If it’s not on sale that’s ok, can always set up an alert.

I always see people mention in CT set threads that there is better but I haven’t found the ‘better’ yet.
Snap on are way better tools, but costs way more, hence for most people these will do, though these sets may not have all the sizes a professional might want/need.

My car is a 1959 Austin Healey, so I don't think it has all the ones I need, but for my wife's Golf, its all good.
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2002
2326 posts
570 upvotes
I have this set, and it's been great for car repairs. I've changed motor mounts, control arms, outer tie rod ends, and struts with it. Only bad thing is that some of the printing is wearing off a little. Not a huge deal. Also some sockets are 12 point (?), but I've never had an issue with it.
My avatar is Shandi Finnessey
Play Hay Day!
Dec 21, 2011
175 posts
307 upvotes
Summerland, British …
It's a ok set for once or twice a year but the price is right! The racheting mechanism jams up on me from time to time on my Stanley set. There was a good review a few years ago from AVE on youtube with the same problem. He is a bit more picky then I am. His videos are NSFW so watch with caution.

I rather the Mastercraft sets due to slightly better quality but Stanley does pack more tools into a smaller foot print which is a plus.

Nov 24, 2007
318 posts
324 upvotes
Toronto
dburroughs1 wrote: It's a ok set for once or twice a year but the price is right! The racheting mechanism jams up on me from time to time on my Stanley set. There was a good review a few years ago from AVE on youtube with the same problem. He is a bit more picky then I am. His videos are NSFW so watch with caution.

I rather the Mastercraft sets due to slightly better quality but Stanley does pack more tools into a smaller foot print which is a plus.

Pretty sure these are also life time replacement, double check, has the same issue with my maximum ratchets and they replaced them
Aug 5, 2008
416 posts
262 upvotes
xFRUGALITYx wrote: This goes on for this price every few weeks, it's really what it's regular price should be, not the crazy inflated usual CT price schemes. It's not a deal when it's pretty much always this price.
The "discount" is inflated for sure, but to be fair, I think I've only seen this set (183-piece) on Boxing Week. The "regular" discounted price I've seen is around $130, so if someone was on the lookout for a basic tool set, it's still a good time to buy.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2006
6887 posts
1129 upvotes
Ottawa
So what set do your guys recommend if not for this set at this price? I should have bought it yesterday with the 40$ back on $200 purchase
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
2770 posts
1918 upvotes
London
rilols wrote: My car battery broke down few days ago and I am thinking about buying a tool set to replace it myself. Is this a good buy at all?
Thinking I rarely need to use it, but when I do, I really hope it does the job nicely.
Also, do this set fulfill general house usage? I live by myself and hope to fix things myself in most cases but I have only a few screwdrivers.... Thanks very much!
It might be good if you can better define what matters to you.
Is it cost, or value, or quality?
Your requirements don't sound high.

For changing a battery, almost anything would work.
Even one of those el-cheapo 1/4" drive sets that go on sale for $20 would do what seems to be your requirements.
I have have my nice tools, but several of those (including in my travel tool kit).
I could replace a battery easily.

It doesn't sound like you need to entertain any suggestions costing more than the set you posted.
The ones you should be interested in are suggestions of better quality/value sub $100.

Discussions about Snap-on and control arms are in another league to the OP.
Aug 20, 2019
563 posts
713 upvotes
London, Ontario
Showmethemoney1978 wrote: If I had a dollar for every-time the pieces fell out when opening this set up.
It comes with a piece of foam between the 2 sides. leave it in and it keeps the pieces in place.

Or just snap them back in when you're done with it.
[OP]
Oct 29, 2021
5 posts
6 upvotes
Thanks everyone! I think I will pass on this one and checked out other sets. Like other mentioned, this is like a regular discounted set, so not a big saving.
arisk wrote: It might be good if you can better define what matters to you.
Is it cost, or value, or quality?
Your requirements don't sound high.

For changing a battery, almost anything would work.
Even one of those el-cheapo 1/4" drive sets that go on sale for $20 would do what seems to be your requirements.
I have have my nice tools, but several of those (including in my travel tool kit).
I could replace a battery easily.

It doesn't sound like you need to entertain any suggestions costing more than the set you posted.
The ones you should be interested in are suggestions of better quality/value sub $100.

Discussions about Snap-on and control arms are in another league to the OP.
I'm thinking quality/value might be priority. I am okay to pay 200+ for a tool set that fits most home/auto usages. I tried a budget certified tool set (about $60 I think), it works but just not so easy to use. I would rather pay more to save me time every time I need to use it. I haven't lived in a house on my own so I don't have expectations either, any advice is welcome! Thanks a lot!
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
23348 posts
4806 upvotes
Niagara Falls
FYI Stanley black has lifetime warranty.

Just contact them via their website and they'll send you out a new part. Had to use it once for this set when one of the ratchets stopped working.