• Last Updated:
  • May 15th, 2021 12:14 pm
[OP]
Jul 28, 2018
17 posts
53 upvotes

[Canadian Tire] Stanley socket set $129.99

I was looking for some tools and stumbled upon this. Picked it up right away, the chrome finish is really nice and the quality seems good.
Last edited by TomRFD on May 10th, 2021 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added price to title
37 replies
Jun 18, 2008
592 posts
263 upvotes
Burnaby
While its a nice deal that pops up once in awhile, I prefer stamped over Laser etching. Im what you would consider a shade tree mechanic but I still like tools. If youre gonna buy a stanley socket set, do yourself a favour and buy a different ratchet wrench. Even the Maximum ratchet is better than this janky pos stanley puts out.
Dec 24, 2007
310 posts
490 upvotes
under tall pines
i bought this set (for 99$ i think) in sept when i bought my house. for the price its great, changed an exhaust, repaired a dryer and did some oil changes on some toys using this set.

what hiroshirou said is absolutely true, my 3/8th rachet jammed almost immediately when i got it, so i'll need to replace it, but otherwise its a good and mostly complete set
Jan 21, 2016
311 posts
166 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Not a bad deal, I got a similar one a few years back. It's a little disingenuous for CT to list this as 75% off though. No one has or ever will pay $550 for this set. Likewise with their 70% deals on treadmills.
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
14681 posts
5171 upvotes
Toronto
Hiroshirou wrote: While its a nice deal that pops up once in awhile, I prefer stamped over Laser etching. Im what you would consider a shade tree mechanic but I still like tools. If youre gonna buy a stanley socket set, do yourself a favour and buy a different ratchet wrench. Even the Maximum ratchet is better than this janky pos stanley puts out.
I'm pretty sure that Stanley and Mastercraft socket sets are made by the same manufacturer.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
5095 posts
2001 upvotes
I still have this OLD SCHOOL Sears Craftsman Socket/Wrench Set (handed down from my late father) ... 1/4" 3/8" & 1/2" drives ... 12 point sockets:

A1 - Copy.jpg

When I need deep sockets ... I just grab it from the Mastercraft Maximum Impact Socket & Tool Set (58-1228-8) ... 3/8" & 1/2" drives ... purchased from Canadian Tire for $89.99 in 2015:

A2 - Copy.jpg
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Aug 4, 2020
18 posts
15 upvotes
Stoney Creek
have the same one and its got everything you need . . . other than a good ratchet! Mine seized after using it a few times. I need to go in and get it replaced after lockdown is up
Sep 14, 2007
932 posts
379 upvotes
Calgary, AB
For $30 more this set would be a better buy @ $160 - LINK
Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2003
14455 posts
229 upvotes
Mississauga
I bought same set in February. decent set for a home owner.

And yea, no one pays $550 at CT for sockets.
Same as those pots and pan sets at The bay that are always 75% off.
Heatware 47-0

"Giving money to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."
Sep 18, 2006
503 posts
76 upvotes
ecobuilder wrote: For $30 more this set would be a better buy @ $160 - LINK
+1
If the CT reviews are to be trusted, way easier to warranty Mastercraft sockets/ratchets compared to Stanley
Still waiting for stores to reopen to see if I can get the clamshell plastic cover warrantied on my old mastercraft set, with the same case as this one.. (it separates eventually)
Casual Trader
Heatware: 3-0
BMWWW
May 22, 2014
436 posts
289 upvotes
jdmfishingonly wrote: I still have this OLD SCHOOL Sears Craftsman Socket/Wrench Set (handed down from my late father) ... 1/4" 3/8" & 1/2" drives ... 12 point sockets:

A1 - Copy.jpg

When I need deep sockets ... I just grab it from the Mastercraft Maximum Impact Socket & Tool Set (58-1228-8) ... 3/8" & 1/2" drives ... purchased from Canadian Tire for $89.99 in 2015:

A2 - Copy.jpg
whats most impressive is that you haven't lost any sockets. i have so many missing pieces from my sets like allen keys / sockets / wrenches
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
5095 posts
2001 upvotes
davidqbp wrote: whats most impressive is that you haven't lost any sockets. i have so many missing pieces from my sets like allen keys / sockets / wrenches
I don't lend any to people who just borrow for the sake of borrowing (like my lazy neighbour)

When I lend, I lend to those that I know would NOT lose any.

hahaha
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Aug 10, 2019
15 posts
47 upvotes
Found this review on what looks like the same ratchets that come in this set. As others have pointed out, if you purchase this set, it would be mostly for the sockets, and it would probably be better to purchase quality ratchets separately.

Nov 8, 2007
481 posts
84 upvotes
Ottawa
I have a similar maximum set in a gray box with the same layout purchased 6 years ago for $79.99. I found the ratchets were pretty good but the sockets were really soft and had to replace a dozen of them. CT replaced them with silver maximum sockets off the floor and they have been much better.

I bought a popular mechanics (made by Stanley) socket set from wallys about 23 years ago, put them through hell and they have held up like a champ. I dropped the small ratchet in the lake, found it after the winter 8 months later and it worked just as good as it did day 1 after I cleaned it up.
Feb 11, 2004
141 posts
24 upvotes
Victoria
I also have an old school Craftsman set from Sears, it's solid and the ratchets still work great. I use it in combination with a Stanley set that's similar to what the OP posted. It's definitely nice because of how complete it is and I've been able to do a lot of repairs on our vehicles with it but as many have mentioned, the ratchets aren't great.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2015
2014 posts
2219 upvotes
BC
Imagine having the honor of being the first person to pay "full" price for this. Decent deal at 70% off but I'd love to see some consumer laws with teeth to prevent these yoyo "sales" from CT.

That said I have this set and use it weekly, no issues with the ratchet yet so maybe just a quality control issue.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
4841 posts
3111 upvotes
LaLaLand
BMWWW wrote: +1
If the CT reviews are to be trusted, way easier to warranty Mastercraft sockets/ratchets compared to Stanley
Still waiting for stores to reopen to see if I can get the clamshell plastic cover warrantied on my old mastercraft set, with the same case as this one.. (it separates eventually)
I recently broke one of the sockets of my 30-year-old Mastercraft set at the end by using it with my impact wrench - which it wasn't designed for. Canadian Tire replaced it, no questions asked.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2005
2293 posts
486 upvotes
York
Did anyone pick up the 270 piece Mastercraft set that was on sale this past week? If so do your ratchets look like the ones on the Canadian Tire site?

I picked up a set yesterday and I am not sure if I have a new or older set but my ratchets look identical to the Stanley set in this thread. Am just wondering if this could be a bad thing and if I should look for the previous version based on some of the feedback of the Stanley ratchets.
"It's how you deal with failure that determines how you achieve success."
Mar 5, 2007
316 posts
46 upvotes
Toronto
ecobuilder wrote: For $30 more this set would be a better buy @ $160 - LINK
What’s the difference in parts and quality between these two sets, anyway?

Also, how do you guys determine what’s a good buy when it comes to socket sets?
Nov 18, 2008
749 posts
308 upvotes
Toronto
Wait for the husky 268pc mechanic set, i think it goes down to like $129 or something, the kit is much better quality and I believe Husky version is actually made in the same factory as GearWrench.

I bought the Stanley set in this thread and the ratchets are poor, especially the 1/4 ratchet which is not smooth at all, even after taking it apart and greasing it. I returned it and got a replacement but it's the same issue. Then I waited and then bought the Husky version, I actually bought it off Kijiji. Everything in the husky version seems so much better quality, especially the ratchets seem very well made and super smooth.

In terms of warranty, I was having a bit of locking issue with the 1/2 Husky ratchet, I took to HomeDepot and got a replacement 1/2 ratchet off the shelve as part of their lifetime warranty, very happy about the process.