• Last Updated:
  • May 15th, 2021 12:14 pm
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2008
2681 posts
1663 upvotes
I have this exact set, haven't used too much but so far I like it. Do keep in mind this is the ONLY price you should pay, or at least anything about 70% off. Quite frankly I don't get why Crappy Tire's "normal" sale prices get posted here.

If anyone bought this at regular price and was happy I'd like to taste some of the crack they're on.
Newbie
May 4, 2001
56 posts
46 upvotes
Most sockets sets these days contain lots of those cheap inexpensive driver bits rather than useful sockets. Make sure that when you do purchase a set that the majority of the socket set contains REAL sockets and not a multitude of those cheap screwdriver bits.
Member
Feb 20, 2008
455 posts
573 upvotes
samguan wrote: Wait for the husky 268pc mechanic set, i think it goes down to like $129 or something, the kit is much better quality and I believe Husky version is actually made in the same factory as GearWrench.

I bought the Stanley set in this thread and the ratchets are poor, especially the 1/4 ratchet which is not smooth at all, even after taking it apart and greasing it. I returned it and got a replacement but it's the same issue. Then I waited and then bought the Husky version, I actually bought it off Kijiji. Everything in the husky version seems so much better quality, especially the ratchets seem very well made and super smooth.

In terms of warranty, I was having a bit of locking issue with the 1/2 Husky ratchet, I took to HomeDepot and got a replacement 1/2 ratchet off the shelve as part of their lifetime warranty, very happy about the process.
This.

I do have a grey case Maximum set I got years ago which has served me well, but damn if those clearance Husky sets aren't tempting....
Newbie
Jul 21, 2017
83 posts
210 upvotes
Its amazing how Canadian tire still makes money after 75% (420) off, huge margins
Sr. Member
Apr 5, 2003
901 posts
251 upvotes
White Rock, BC
Seek4deals wrote: Its amazing how Canadian tire still makes money after 75% (420) off, huge margins
I wonder myself when I walk into these huge stores filled with inventory. Who is buying all this???
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 2, 2008
1467 posts
449 upvotes
I have a similar set back from 2014... It's helped me part out numerous cars. Some of my sockets & tools have the black chrome finish worn off. Paid like 80$ for it on "clearance" back when.

I've yet to break a socket or tool and they've been well "loved". Even some sockets used on a hammer drill on stubborn rusty parts lol
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 15, 2003
2312 posts
333 upvotes
mmagda wrote: I have a similar set back from 2014... It's helped me part out numerous cars. Some of my sockets & tools have the black chrome finish worn off. Paid like 80$ for it on "clearance" back when.

I've yet to break a socket or tool and they've been well "loved". Even some sockets used on a hammer drill on stubborn rusty parts lol
Same for me. Older set and they've been great. Looking at the wrench it's slightly different. I've used the socked on an impact (it specifically says not to do that) and never had an issue.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2007
7294 posts
7261 upvotes
lubs2001 wrote: Not a bad deal, I got a similar one a few years back. It's a little disingenuous for CT to list this as 75% off though. No one has or ever will pay $550 for this set. Likewise with their 70% deals on treadmills.
To be frank: that's just how CT markets, they are in 'permanent sales' mode, where pretty much everything in the store is 'on sale' every month or so. Other stores that operate like that are The Bay.

NEVER buy items from CT at 'regular' price unless you really have to, a sale will discount that item within weeks usually.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2007
7294 posts
7261 upvotes
nojelly wrote: Found this review on what looks like the same ratchets that come in this set. As others have pointed out, if you purchase this set, it would be mostly for the sockets, and it would probably be better to purchase quality ratchets separately.

FOCUS YOU ****!!! Love AvE!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2007
7294 posts
7261 upvotes
mikebc wrote: Imagine having the honor of being the first person to pay "full" price for this. Decent deal at 70% off but I'd love to see some consumer laws with teeth to prevent these yoyo "sales" from CT.

That said I have this set and use it weekly, no issues with the ratchet yet so maybe just a quality control issue.
Why? Why do we need MORE regulation?

If you want to pay $550 for a socket set, why should that be disallowed? The right price for a particular item is the price the buyer and seller agree on. I understand some consumer protection can be beneficial, but starting to regulate prices of a socket set in CT? Come on.

'Buyer beware' shouldn't be something we create a millions law to eliminate.
Member
Mar 5, 2007
327 posts
54 upvotes
Toronto
samguan wrote: Wait for the husky 268pc mechanic set, i think it goes down to like $129 or something, the kit is much better quality and I believe Husky version is actually made in the same factory as GearWrench.

I bought the Stanley set in this thread and the ratchets are poor, especially the 1/4 ratchet which is not smooth at all, even after taking it apart and greasing it. I returned it and got a replacement but it's the same issue. Then I waited and then bought the Husky version, I actually bought it off Kijiji. Everything in the husky version seems so much better quality, especially the ratchets seem very well made and super smooth.

In terms of warranty, I was having a bit of locking issue with the 1/2 Husky ratchet, I took to HomeDepot and got a replacement 1/2 ratchet off the shelve as part of their lifetime warranty, very happy about the process.
Solid advice! Never knew Husky was better quality, though.

I see a Stanley 274-pc set (not on sale) and I wonder what it’s like compared to the 270-pc Mastercraft set for $160 currently? I guess what I’m trying to get at: among all the typical brands (MAXIMUM, Certified, Mastercraft, Stanley, Husky, etc), what’s the best quality for the price?

Also, is there a set ever on sale that includes a box/case and ratcheting wrenches? I see one on Canadian Tire (MAXIMUM Professional Grade Socket Set - 224-pc at $450, obv not on sale), but I wonder if there’s one with even more pieces, particularly the smaller ratchet wrenches, at a better or similar price point when on sale?

I have a need for some pretty obscure tools or sizes. I guess I might be better off just buying them separately, but it would be nice to have a set that has everything I need.

Any advice is appreciated!
Newbie
Sep 28, 2020
13 posts
12 upvotes
I have 2 of these sets(I like to keep a set in each vehicle) and overall I am very pleased with them. As others have said, only buy them at the sale price. Also as others have said, both 3/8" ratchets seized on me. Getting replacement was easy by calling their 1-800 number. Easy in the sense that I just asked for it, no proof of purchase necessary. That said, each one took several weeks to get to my door. After all that I took the seized ones apart and found the cause was a pin on a small spring that was bent causing it to stick in the little channel it slides in and seize the ratchet. I bent these straight and now all my ratchets work fine. I use these sets quite often, likely once a week. I do all my own vehicle work and occasionally i need them on the job(carpenter).
Newbie
Dec 30, 2015
1 posts
Edmonton
A friend of mine purchased this set and had immediate issues with one of the socket wrenches and returned it. I was surprised, their tools certainly look like they're decent quality but I suppose looks can be deceiving.

I picked up a 155pc set from costco for 90 bucks. The brand is Ingersoll Rand which I've never heard of but since its Costco if it ever breaks it's going right back with a receipt or not lol. I'm sure it'll be fine as it's going in the back of my car just in case and will probably never get used but I was really impressed the size of the kit and even the quality (from the little I've played with it) for 90 bucks.
Images
  • 20210513_171052.jpg
Jr. Member
Jul 29, 2011
143 posts
160 upvotes
Vancouver
r3ddrag0nx wrote: Solid advice! Never knew Husky was better quality, though.

I guess what I’m trying to get at: among all the typical brands (MAXIMUM, Certified, Mastercraft, Stanley, Husky, etc), what’s the best quality for the price?

Any advice is appreciated!
Mastercraft not covered here (because of it being a CT brand) but here's a rough rating

Harbor Freight/Pittsburg/Ironton < Craftsman/Kobalt/Stanley/Husky/Crescent < TEKTON/Gearwrench < Milwaukee/Dewalt/Channellock/SK Tools < Snap-on/Matco/MAC

https://garagespot.com/hands-on-milwauk ... ckets-set/
Member
Mar 5, 2007
327 posts
54 upvotes
Toronto
I work on smaller mechanical things and don't need a lot of the bigger sizes, but perhaps in the future. I'd prefer a ratcheting wrench set along with the sockets and case. Am I out of luck and better off buying everything separately? Ratcheting wrench sets themselves are pretty expensive in it of themselves...
Reputable RFD member since 2007.
Jr. Member
Jul 29, 2011
143 posts
160 upvotes
Vancouver
r3ddrag0nx wrote: I work on smaller mechanical things and don't need a lot of the bigger sizes, but perhaps in the future. I'd prefer a ratcheting wrench set along with the sockets and case. Am I out of luck and better off buying everything separately? Ratcheting wrench sets themselves are pretty expensive in it of themselves...
Sounds like you could invest in a ¼ ratchet set.
Jr. Member
Jan 20, 2018
138 posts
194 upvotes
I have this set and just use it around the house.

It works fine for that. The driver bits are all trash though.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 30, 2020
1148 posts
1811 upvotes
YEG/YYZ
I have this set. Pair it with 1/2 drive deep socket and wrench set also on sale for $20 each, can do a lot.

Top