Expired Hot Deals

Canadian Tire

Starfrit 5-kg. Digital Kitchen Scale on sale for $12.99 (Save 55%)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 2nd, 2019 3:48 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2015
4226 posts
27820 upvotes

[Canadian Tire] Starfrit 5-kg. Digital Kitchen Scale on sale for $12.99 (Save 55%)

Wife wanted a food scale. Found this at Canadian Tire, Starfrit 5-kg. Digital Kitchen Scale for $12.99, instead of $29.99.
23 replies
Apr 3, 2005
729 posts
54 upvotes
Its a good scale bought one last year for same price ..and been using it everyday... worth every penny
P.S. : if you find lots of spelling mistakes in my above comment. This is what happens when you use the physical Keyboard (Blackberry) your whole life and then you have to settle with a virtual Keyboard.
Mar 24, 2012
139 posts
52 upvotes
Etobicoke
Yes, it's a good scale. Only thing is that I wish it would weigh to the tenth of a gram.
Jun 5, 2010
572 posts
818 upvotes
Ottawa
According to Starfrit they do not make a scale more accurate that 1g. It is odd that they indicate 1.0g.

It may be hard to find a many kg scale that is accurate to 0.1g. Maybe try looking for a postal scale??
E as in ewe, eye, eight
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2017
3141 posts
6404 upvotes
TotalDistinction wrote: I can't imagine many people needing to measure to a tenth of a gram. :)
Depends on your use, but I would argue that you definitely should not buy this if your intended use is cannabis, 0.1-0.9 can make a huge difference when you are dosing high potency strains (22%+).

I mean if you are using this because you operate a illegal dispensary or are slinging out on the streets, then by all means use this, your customers will love you.
May 5, 2016
207 posts
110 upvotes
i've got one of these. it's an awesome weigh scale! i think i paid around $17, so you're killin' it for about $13 that's for certain.

i've tested it against supermarket purchased food items. my understanding is the supermarket commercial weigh scales are calibrated to meet Measurement Canada standards so, this lil' Starfrit guy is darned good for the money!
Dec 27, 2005
710 posts
140 upvotes
GTA, Ontario
kimwoobingsu wrote: Depends on your use, but I would argue that you definitely should not buy this if your intended use is cannabis, 0.1-0.9 can make a huge difference when you are dosing high potency strains (22%+).

I mean if you are using this because you operate a illegal dispensary or are slinging out on the streets, then by all means use this, your customers will love you.
true true
Feb 12, 2015
26 posts
21 upvotes
Burlington, ON
I have been using this for a few years now. Working well.
Deal Addict
May 25, 2011
3165 posts
4822 upvotes
GTA North
Been using this for years (probably almost a decade now). Unless the battery section changed (Can.T's review/question area is not loading in my brwoser right now) recently from my model then this unit takes 9V batteries. That is good because if you're cooking a lot and not doing a lot of smokey cooking that triggers the smoke alarm to go off then you can reuse those batteries in scales like this to make the most of the remaining power in the cell when you change your smoke alarms 1-2 times per year.
...Location: GTA North
If this post has helped you please click the 'THANKS' button.
GTA Grocery Highlights (updated weekly) thread
[WTB] Looking for a Netbook for $150 or under (~$100)
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3859 posts
2800 upvotes
They've been as cheap as $9.99 in the past, but unfortunately the brutal "small appliances" tax in BC kills the deal.
Mar 18, 2005
417 posts
375 upvotes
Brossard, Qc
Found this at my parents place, collecting dust. For the price, it’s a good scale. I used it once to make coffee. I would’ve loved for it to measure to the tenth of a gram, since preparing coffee with a pourover kind of needs you to know when you’re about to hit the required coffee/water ratio. It also turns off too quickly; usually there’s a 30-45 second “bloom” period before you continue to filter the coffee. When I did that, it turned off on me, and tared back to zero.

I’m comparing this to a $60 Hario coffee scale, but if all you need it for is to measure for cooking, it’s quite accurate, and at a great price. If you’re a third wave coffee snob, it’s worth it spending on an actual coffee scale.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2007
2814 posts
2468 upvotes
Prince George
J-Money wrote: Found this at my parents place, collecting dust. For the price, it’s a good scale. I used it once to make coffee. I would’ve loved for it to measure to the tenth of a gram, since preparing coffee with a pourover kind of needs you to know when you’re about to hit the required coffee/water ratio. It also turns off too quickly; usually there’s a 30-45 second “bloom” period before you continue to filter the coffee. When I did that, it turned off on me, and tared back to zero.

I’m comparing this to a $60 Hario coffee scale, but if all you need it for is to measure for cooking, it’s quite accurate, and at a great price. If you’re a third wave coffee snob, it’s worth it spending on an actual coffee scale.
Maybe this is a slightly different model than the one I have (also a Starfrit with the same capacity and glass platform). But I also use mine for pour over coffee and don’t have an issue with it turning off too soon. Maybe you pour slower than I do.
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2002
10202 posts
7160 upvotes
Toronto
Good scale, been using one to weigh packages for eBay, for the kitchen and other odd tasks.
Feb 26, 2018
154 posts
135 upvotes
thedealhunter2000 wrote: Been using this for years (probably almost a decade now). Unless the battery section changed (Can.T's review/question area is not loading in my brwoser right now) recently from my model then this unit takes 9V batteries. That is good because if you're cooking a lot and not doing a lot of smokey cooking that triggers the smoke alarm to go off then you can reuse those batteries in scales like this to make the most of the remaining power in the cell when you change your smoke alarms 1-2 times per year.
The Q/A section on the CT site says 2xAAA. I have a few year old model and it takes a single CR2032. What a bizarre iteration over the years.

Great scale for the $$. If you get a model that uses the button batteries make sure to grab a pack on the way out. Using the scale every day for calorie tracking I find I change the battery every third month or so.
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
2993 posts
1523 upvotes
Watery B.C.
thedealhunter2000 wrote: Been using this for years (probably almost a decade now). Unless the battery section changed (Can.T's review/question area is not loading in my brwoser right now) recently from my model then this unit takes 9V batteries. That is good because if you're cooking a lot and not doing a lot of smokey cooking that triggers the smoke alarm to go off then you can reuse those batteries in scales like this to make the most of the remaining power in the cell when you change your smoke alarms 1-2 times per year.
I know the one you mean with the 9 volt as we also used it for years. We used it every day to weigh cat food portions and found the scale would poop out after two or three years. We always waited for it to go on sale for $9.99 at CT and when it did, we bought one as a backup for when the other inevitably died. At some point, the model changed somewhat and it started using the flat batteries, but I think the price point was still $9.99 on sale. We bought another since at that price point less than a year ago.
If I had more time, I would have written a shorter post
Aug 2, 2018
83 posts
71 upvotes
Ryankay wrote: The Q/A section on the CT site says 2xAAA. I have a few year old model and it takes a single CR2032. What a bizarre iteration over the years.

Great scale for the $$. If you get a model that uses the button batteries make sure to grab a pack on the way out. Using the scale every day for calorie tracking I find I change the battery every third month or so.
I picked one up today and it requires button batteries. Oh well, for the price it isn't too bad a scale still. Thanks OP!