Shopping Discussion

Canadian Tire still not accepting paper Canadian Tire money ... because of COVID!

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 13th, 2022 9:41 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2016
1016 posts
584 upvotes

Canadian Tire still not accepting paper Canadian Tire money ... because of COVID!

Looks like a scam to me
41 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2013
2971 posts
1620 upvotes
B.C.
emilio911 wrote: Looks like a scam to me
It's totally legit. How could this be at all scummy?

Why wouldn't they accept paper canadian tire money, after you pay with cash and get your change in cash to a cashier without a mask on?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
7175 posts
9150 upvotes
The NORTH
Damn... And I have literally one's of dollars in Canadian Tire paper money in my glovebox...
Deal Fanatic
Jun 16, 2009
6279 posts
6577 upvotes
GTA
kr0zet wrote: Damn... And I have literally one's of dollars in Canadian Tire paper money in my glovebox...
In dozens of bills no doubt.

CT has been pushing their digital money for years now. Has anyone checked if you can exchange their paper bills into digital perhaps, despite covid? The service desk was the place to do that.

The thing with their digital money though, is it expires after a while...
c'mon get happy!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
7435 posts
4334 upvotes
BernardRyder wrote: In dozens of bills no doubt.

CT has been pushing their digital money for years now. Has anyone checked if you can exchange their paper bills into digital perhaps, despite covid? The service desk was the place to do that.

The thing with their digital money though, is it expires after a while...
I got an email last week that my CT eMoney will expire in Sept. if I don't use the acct. i will loose $1.25. So i called CT and they would add a dummy transaction into my acct so that it will be active for a few more months.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2018
2106 posts
2297 upvotes
Toronto
When i was a teenager Canadian Tire money was all the rage, we collected it and saved up for big purchases. What a tremendous marketing tool of the day.
Youth is the gift of nature, age is a work of art.
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
15302 posts
20644 upvotes
Vancouver
Ballroomblitz1 wrote: When i was a teenager Canadian Tire money was all the rage, we collected it and saved up for big purchases. What a tremendous marketing tool of the day.
Was that when you'd actually earn a decent amount of it by purchasing? The earnings have been slashed by more than 90% since the program started in the 1950s. On a $100 purchase, you used to get $5 back. Then $3. Then $1.40. Now it's 40¢.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19456 posts
22580 upvotes
GTA
Kiraly wrote: Was that when you'd actually earn a decent amount of it by purchasing? The earnings have been slashed by more than 90% since the program started in the 1950s. On a $100 purchase, you used to get $5 back. Then $3. Then $1.40. Now it's 40¢.
Likely means they were overcharging even more back then.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12353 posts
4860 upvotes
Toronto
Not a scam, they just arent accepting them now, not like they stop accepting forever.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2013
2971 posts
1620 upvotes
B.C.
MP3_SKY wrote: Not a scam, they just arent accepting them now, not like they stop accepting forever.
There isn't any scientific reason to not accept it at the moment and they're likely doing it simply to get people to forget about it still existing.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12353 posts
4860 upvotes
Toronto
lennyandcarl wrote: There isn't any scientific reason to not accept it at the moment and they're likely doing it simply to get people to forget about it still existing.
That's why to always use those CT money, or points or rewards frequently and not accumulated a big amount of it and realize there is a problem using it. There is just no incentive to save all in a big chunk and spent it all at once.

Unless the redemption program like SDM, where you can use 50000 pts for $65 worth of stuff, etc...., it gives a better value to save more to use it. Other than this reason, just use them up regularly.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2017
5273 posts
3736 upvotes
Vancouver
MP3_SKY wrote: Not a scam, they just arent accepting them now, not like they stop accepting forever.
If you think about it, it kinda is. Unless they are also refusing cash at the moment, there isn’t really any reason to not accept CT money. Wouldn’t cash actually change hands more often than CT money?
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
15302 posts
20644 upvotes
Vancouver
I think the pandemic was the nail in paper CTM's coffin. It will likely never come back. They will at some point start to accept what people bring in, but I predict they will never give out any more. Why would they continue with it, when they already have the electronic version of it (Triangle Rewards) up and running.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12353 posts
4860 upvotes
Toronto
Paigne wrote: If you think about it, it kinda is. Unless they are also refusing cash at the moment, there isn’t really any reason to not accept CT money. Wouldn’t cash actually change hands more often than CT money?
They should provide a date when they will re-accept and when they can stop accepting CT money. I agree that it is kinda of rip off by totally accepting CT without prior notice.
Just like TTC coins, they give you a long notice before they stop accepting those.

However, maybe there is some fine print they used to protect themselves, saying they are right to stop this CT money program anytime with no condition or prior notice, then you are SOL.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12353 posts
4860 upvotes
Toronto
Kiraly wrote: I think the pandemic was the nail in paper CTM's coffin. It will likely never come back. They will at some point start to accept what people bring in, but I predict they will never give out any more. Why would they continue with it, when they already have the electronic version of it (Triangle Rewards) up and running.
Agree, they will most likely terminate the program eventually.
Everything is digital, google pay, samsung pay, etc....although CT is usually felt behind others, Face With Tears Of Joy

In X years, maybe those are collector's favorite, OP may consider Keeping some of them.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22828 posts
21662 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Used to love Sandy McTire, and my Cdn Tire Money
Lots of great memories

But … today I wonder WHY anyone would opt for their paper money
Versus the newer Digital CT Down-pointing Red Triangle Rewards Program and the E-Cdn Tire Money

The OLD Program has a very low return

Whereas the NEW Digital CT Down-pointing Red Triangle Rewards Program / E-Cdn Tire Money earns at a much faster rate …
Cuz you get PERSONAL OFFERS
Which earn Cdn Tire Money / CT Down-pointing Red Triangle Rewards Points at a much higher rate (multipliers)
Plus … Offers DO STACK … for even more Points = Money Value

Since the CT Down-pointing Red Triangle Rewards Program launched in May 2018
I have literally earned HUNDREDS of Dollars
Vs the OLD Paper Money Program where it would take YEARS to get anywhere near that amount of a return
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2017
5273 posts
3736 upvotes
Vancouver
MP3_SKY wrote: Agree, they will most likely terminate the program eventually.
Everything is digital, google pay, samsung pay, etc....although CT is usually felt behind others, Face With Tears Of Joy

In X years, maybe those are collector's favorite, OP may consider Keeping some of them.
They are actually quite a bit behind because (unless it has been changed) they don’t even allow points (or GC) usage online. At least they didn’t at the start of covid. Obviously I don’t pay attention to CT enough to know if their website updated during covid (the smart thing would be to update it given the push to e-commerce during covid).
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
15302 posts
20644 upvotes
Vancouver
Paigne wrote: They are actually quite a bit behind because (unless it has been changed) they don’t even allow points (or GC) usage online. At least they didn’t at the start of covid. Obviously I don’t pay attention to CT enough to know if their website updated during covid (the smart thing would be to update it given the push to e-commerce during covid).
That changed several months ago. You can now redeem your eCTM when purchasing online.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12353 posts
4860 upvotes
Toronto
Paigne wrote: They are actually quite a bit behind because (unless it has been changed) they don’t even allow points (or GC) usage online. At least they didn’t at the start of covid. Obviously I don’t pay attention to CT enough to know if their website updated during covid (the smart thing would be to update it given the push to e-commerce during covid).
Yes, I had a few CT GC and during Convid lockdown where stores are closed. I cannot pay with GC with my online orders, it was disappointing.
Also there is no flat rate shipping, the more items you buy, the more expensive it will be, unlike most online retailers, you will get free shipping once you reach their required amount of purchase,
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2016
1016 posts
584 upvotes
BernardRyder wrote: Has anyone checked if you can exchange their paper bills into digital perhaps, despite covid?
There's nothing as such unfortunately.