Shopping Discussion

Canadian Tire: Sub-Par Version of Products?

  • Last Updated:
  • Nov 5th, 2021 4:30 am
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 21, 2009
1417 posts
156 upvotes
Niagara Falls

Canadian Tire: Sub-Par Version of Products?

Hi all,

I’d like to purchase a Veer Cruiser (kids wagon) & have a decent amount of Canadian Tire gift cards to help with the cost ($849).

A family member now has me second guessing purchasing it from CT as he said they receive sub-par versions of certain products.

Is there any truth to this?
14 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22788 posts
21630 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Not true

Cdn Tire as one of Canada’s longest standing “department stores” … sells brand name merchandise. Period.

Albeit perhaps closer to the MSRP than other places *

They also sell decent quality house brands … some of which are national brands …that they own the rights to entirely …
Mastercraft - SuperCycle - Noma - Blue Planet - Paderno

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Tire

* The bugaboo with Cdn Tire is:

(A) Pricing. Unless you watch the flyers and only buy stuff on sale there … you pay towards the highest end of the items price cycle (Low - Medium - High )
Example, recently bought a brand name small appliance I wanted / couldn’t wait on … cuz ours broke … and they had it in stock for the same day pick up. Price $ 100.
This for an item, that I know usually sells elsewhere for around $ 75 to $ 80
Since buying it … and using it … and being happy with it.
It is like our old one … everything we expected … well made & reliable.
But …
Cdn Tire had it recently on sale for $ 49.99 (so essentially half price)
And the other day … saw the same item @ Costco for $ 39.99
Ugggh.
Just got to look past that.
And remember they had it when I wanted it 2 months ago

(B) Returns. Depending on the store … some are problematic for returns.
You can GOOGLE for more info … or do an RFD SEARCH to see other threads

Personally … we have a small town atmosphere store. Original family owned. Been here for decades.
Never have I had an issue. But then that’s cuz everyone seems to know everyone.
Big City … atmosphere may be different. And return policy could reflect that
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
8405 posts
5279 upvotes
Mississauga
$849 for a kids wagon? Whisky tango foxtrot?!
Member
Oct 15, 2012
388 posts
412 upvotes
Sudbury
PointsHubby wrote: Not true

Cdn Tire as one of Canada’s longest standing “department stores” … sells brand name merchandise. Period.

Albeit perhaps closer to the MSRP than other places *

They also sell decent quality house brands … some of which are national brands …that they own the rights to entirely …
Mastercraft - SuperCycle - Noma - Blue Planet - Paderno

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Tire

* The bugaboo with Cdn Tire is:

(A) Pricing. Unless you watch the flyers and only buy stuff on sale there … you pay towards the highest end of the items price cycle (Low - Medium - High )
Example, recently bought a brand name small appliance I wanted / couldn’t wait on … cuz ours broke … and they had it in stock for the same day pick up. Price $ 100.
This for an item, that I know usually sells elsewhere for around $ 75 to $ 80
Since buying it … and using it … and being happy with it.
It is like our old one … everything we expected … well made & reliable.
But …
Cdn Tire had it recently on sale for $ 49.99 (so essentially half price)
And the other day … saw the same item @ Costco for $ 39.99
Ugggh.
Just got to look past that.
And remember they had it when I wanted it 2 months ago

(B) Returns. Depending on the store … some are problematic for returns.
You can GOOGLE for more info … or do an RFD SEARCH to see other threads

Personally … we have a small town atmosphere store. Original family owned. Been here for decades.
Never have I had an issue. But then that’s cuz everyone seems to know everyone.
Big City … atmosphere may be different. And return policy could reflect that
Yes indeed--returns vary; bought a battery for car $249.99 with 5 year warranty and misplaced receipt; quit after 1 year and despite year sticker on battery, they refused any warranty without receipt (paid cash). Some stores have battery purchases in their database so you don't need to keep receipt/s-- mind doesn't. grrrr!
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 5, 2008
16725 posts
11908 upvotes
Toronto
I've never heard of CT selling cheaper versions of name brand products
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
2637 posts
2190 upvotes
GTA West
Nurse2B wrote: Hi all,

I’d like to purchase a Veer Cruiser (kids wagon) & have a decent amount of Canadian Tire gift cards to help with the cost ($849).

A family member now has me second guessing purchasing it from CT as he said they receive sub-par versions of certain products.

Is there any truth to this?
I see no evidence of that. But sometimes they carry the cheaper models in a brand's product line. Like low model iRobots when other stores carry the latest high end models. Or Weber Spirit grills where others have the Genesis line.

In general, I find that CanTire has moved upmarket a bit and that is for the better. E.g. Nespresso, Weber, Tiger are the kinds of brands I never used to see there.

But the pricing and merchandising are frustrating, outrageous, and weird. Like a $199 waffle maker I wanted went on sale for I think, $139. Now the last couple of units are on the clearance shelf at my local store for $179. Really?? You may see frying pans at an inflated $79 so that they can advertise them at say, 80% off a week later. The only store that does clearance worse is my Staples. You are liable to find a Blackberry charger for 15% off LOL.

I will only buy most items when they come on sale, which they always will. But I am not going to pour over that small print flyer every week to find it!
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22788 posts
21630 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Dealmaker1945 wrote: I see no evidence of that. But sometimes they carry the cheaper models in a brand's product line. Like low model iRobots when other stores carry the latest high end models. Or Weber Spirit grills where others have the Genesis line.

In general, I find that CanTire has moved upmarket a bit and that is for the better. E.g. Nespresso, Weber, Tiger are the kinds of brands I never used to see there.

But the pricing and merchandising are frustrating, outrageous, and weird. Like a $199 waffle maker I wanted went on sale for I think, $139. Now the last couple of units are on the clearance shelf at my local store for $179. Really?? You may see frying pans at an inflated $79 so that they can advertise them at say, 80% off a week later. The only store that does clearance worse is my Staples. You are liable to find a Blackberry charger for 15% off LOL.

I will only buy most items when they come on sale, which they always will. But I am not going to pour over that small print flyer every week to find it!
Flipp is your friend !

When I am looking to buy anything … and can actually wait for a deal I like … I can just punch in SEARCH on Flipp and see what comes up, and where.

The only reading I do of Cdn Tire paper flyers since … is cuz I want to do some mindless browsing (aka Reading on the Throne )
Jr. Member
Nov 22, 2018
181 posts
169 upvotes
Brampton, On
Check the product number or UPC. If they are the same as the one's found in other retailers then there should be no difference.

Some manufactures supply cheaper variations of certain products to Best Buy/Costco/Walmart for example but they will have different product numbers that can't be cross-shopped. Normally these products are made with cheaper components to make the price the retailer wants.

There are some CT products that have there own exclusive product numbers. Treadmills come to mind as some of them have a "C" product variation, but other than models exclusive to CT, the newest one's appear to be the same as available elsewhere. It boggles my mind however that the same treadmill is $thousands cheaper direct from the manufacture, while even the CT 50% off sale price can still be $500 more than the manufactures list price. (I know CT does this with everything but the treadmills really stand out (eg, today: EXP 7i - list $1,499, CT regular $3,899, sale 50% off 1,999!)
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2005
1649 posts
2393 upvotes
Victoria
I generally head to Canadian Tire over Walmart, but I do find some of their house brands garbage, and depending on the category they don't have alternatives. Noma, for instance. I find their bulbs flicker & die quickly and they often don't have a brand name to choose from. So I stay away from Canadian Tire for those.

Triangle on the other hand is a good program with frequent bonus offers, 25x the points or spend $50 get $10 etc.

Their return policy on electronics is a challenge - plug it in, and it's not returnable - but they do handle a lot of the warranty stuff in house in the form of an exchange. For instance, I've bought a smoke detector that stopped working correctly and they exchanged on the spot for another within the warranty period. Gotta save the receipts, though.
Sr. Member
Apr 16, 2013
621 posts
656 upvotes
Surrey
Serpentine wrote: Yes indeed--returns vary; bought a battery for car $249.99 with 5 year warranty and misplaced receipt; quit after 1 year and despite year sticker on battery, they refused any warranty without receipt (paid cash). Some stores have battery purchases in their database so you don't need to keep receipt/s-- mind doesn't. grrrr!

Pro Tip, For Car batteries. I put the Receipt in Foil Paper and then inside a Zip Log Bag and put it under the Battery during installation. For other items I usually try N Scoth tape the Receipt to the actual Product or if I am saving the box of the item then I put the Receipt in the Box.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
8405 posts
5279 upvotes
Mississauga
For car batteries, I just keep the receipt/warranty pamphlet in the glove box.
Sr. Member
Nov 5, 2018
606 posts
699 upvotes
jattdesi wrote: Pro Tip, For Car batteries. I put the Receipt in Foil Paper and then inside a Zip Log Bag and put it under the Battery during installation. For other items I usually try N Scoth tape the Receipt to the actual Product or if I am saving the box of the item then I put the Receipt in the Box.
I would be careful with this method - receipts are thermal paper, and it doesn't take much heat to start to degrade them. Under a hood next to an engine would probably do it.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jun 13, 2010
6064 posts
7480 upvotes
GTA
jattdesi wrote: Pro Tip, For Car batteries. I put the Receipt in Foil Paper and then inside a Zip Log Bag and put it under the Battery during installation. For other items I usually try N Scoth tape the Receipt to the actual Product or if I am saving the box of the item then I put the Receipt in the Box.
People should just scan their receipts. They don't fade away or get lost. Also I've had CT email me a copy of the receipt at the time of purchase, not sure if all locations do that or not.
Jr. Member
Oct 3, 2006
180 posts
25 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Not to hijack the thread but has a better price/deal for the veer been spotted? In the market for one too but not willing to pay retail and it’s typically excluded from discounts across the board
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22788 posts
21630 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
k32m wrote: Not to hijack the thread but has a better price/deal for the veer been spotted? In the market for one too but not willing to pay retail and it’s typically excluded from discounts across the board
Did a quick SEARCH for you on the EXPIRED HOT DEALS Section

expired-hot-deals-f68/

Turned up zip-zero-zilch as far as a HOT DEAL
Most places that sell them
Put them on their EXCLUSIONS LIST when they have a sale

And seems everyone on GOOGLE SHOPPING in Canada lists them for the same price $ 849.99
(Cdn Tire - Indigo - HBC - Well.ca etc )

The work around here … might be making your dollars work for you in other ways

Out of this list
The Co most often to offer GCs on Promo is Indigo

Be that thru a Loyalty Program like PCO or AirMiles
So buy enough in GCs to cover the purchase
And you could be saving 10% (or more ) right there

Then for security … load your GCs onto your Indigo Plum Account.
And buy when you have the needed amount on hand

Veer won’t qualify for the Plum Plus extra 10% discount … sadly
And ya … it is gonna be excluded from all Indigo Sales

But GCs used to buy like this … is one way to make your money go further
Buy them with a Cash Back or Loyalty Points CC
And you’l earn / save some more

Added Bonus …as an Indigo Plum Rewards Member (join if you don’t already belong … it’s FREE )
You’ll earn Plum Points on your purchase
So not immediate value / money off … but there will be an added benefit towards some other purchase @ Indigo in the future too

Top