Shopping Discussion

"Canadian Tire takes it offline" !!!

  • Last Updated:
  • Feb 1st, 2009 10:43 am
28 replies
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 30, 2005
3443 posts
582 upvotes
Hamilton
ok but are they taking down the prices and products as well? or just removing the option to buy it online?

I use the website all the time for (even as they mentioned) research, to see if there is any point in heading down to my local CT. I want to see if they even have what I am looking for.

If only lowes would wake up and start putting some products up on their website.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 3, 2006
3688 posts
205 upvotes
Mississauga
adblink182 wrote: ok but are they taking down the prices and products as well? or just removing the option to buy it online?
Everything you want to know is in the link I posted in post #2.

Anyway, I also think they made a wise decision. The type of products they carry are not conducive to grow an online shopping site. I mean, even if you can buy paint or ice salt online, who would actually do that?
This move will remove a siginificant amount of overhead from their operations.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 11, 2003
5728 posts
184 upvotes
Toronto
Unlike Future Shop and BB, I make a point of stopping by CT every time I drive by, there is always something I need

So in that respect I think CT did what was right, and I have no problem with it.

I think CT is pretty much alone doing this, but they never were a big online shopping site.

Brent
--------------------------------------------------------------

"Any more irrelevant comments to pull out of your ***** ?"
"Your comments seem to be r ectal plucks." Pete_Coach

HEATWARE.... if you bought from me ... thanks
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 15, 2001
3118 posts
805 upvotes
Toronto
SportCheck.ca used to sell online too, but went offline.
googoo wrote: Unlike Future Shop and BB, I make a point of stopping by CT every time I drive by, there is always something I need

So in that respect I think CT did what was right, and I have no problem with it.

I think CT is pretty much alone doing this, but they never were a big online shopping site.

Brent
Deal Expert
User avatar
Dec 11, 2005
19226 posts
1713 upvotes
This sucks because I used to like the ability to order things online ahead of the sales rush here so I never had to worry about OOS.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Sr. Member
Dec 12, 2007
771 posts
112 upvotes
I hope they keep posting prices. I was so sad when they discontinued the registry.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
4224 posts
3525 upvotes
Toronto
I do have to applaud them for having almost everything instore except small nik-naks shown on their website, regardless of whether you can order it online or not, so hopefully that doesn't change. I can't think of any major non-electronics store that does that as well. IMHO, it's already a great informational website compared to the other dept stores. Walmart.ca and the HBC stores are useless in comparison.

I'd rather they spend money on getting their inventory tracking up-to-date. Even ignoring the website, if you go instore and ask about an item, if they bring it up on their monochrome Vic20s and it shows one or two in stock, most likely there are none. Then they'll look up other locations, and recommend you go only to to location with 5 in stock, 'cause the ones showing less probably have zero.
Deal Addict
Aug 8, 2005
1108 posts
69 upvotes
I am disappointed in the fact that they will no longer be doing online sales. Many times i did purchase online, for a few reasons. The closest CT is an hour drive. Thats not bad, if they have the product in stock. Many times, i would order a sale item online, because there is no stock, and i would rather not deal with the hassel of a rain check.
But, either way, i still love walking thru their store, buying things i truely do not need...lol.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 8, 2005
5787 posts
806 upvotes
Their sales catalogue isn't elaborate enough, especially auto parts. Their selection on their website is crude. Good thing they notice and pull the plug

Up next, Walmart.ca. (It is shameful to look at, a pain for us to PM others) Just look at your counterpart walmart.com :mad:
Deal Guru
User avatar
Aug 20, 2005
10453 posts
2031 upvotes
Nowhere
It's unfortunate that we are losing a Canadian online retailer. Online shopping should be expanding in Canada not shrinking. Those of us in urban areas forget that in a country this size, there are many that don't live near retail locations.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Aug 22, 2005
7802 posts
974 upvotes
Crap.

Crap.

I live 5 mins away from a CT and this is still annoying.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2008
1650 posts
639 upvotes
jm1 wrote: I'd rather they spend money on getting their inventory tracking up-to-date. Even ignoring the website, if you go instore and ask about an item, if they bring it up on their monochrome Vic20s and it shows one or two in stock, most likely there are none. Then they'll look up other locations, and recommend you go only to to location with 5 in stock, 'cause the ones showing less probably have zero.
It's called shrinkage, and it's not the store's fault. The best they can do is update the inventory computer when they notice the discrepancy.

Or, it could very well be that they have one or two boxes sitting on a shelf back there in the warehouse. Good luck to the poor guy trying to find it. You ever seen what it looks like back there? I have, it's worse than your father's basement. They'll take a token look and then say "sorry, I couldn't find it." Which, frankly, is the truth, unless you expect them to disappear for 20 minutes while they rummage everywhere (and then you'd complain about how long it took! :) )
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 3, 2006
4645 posts
1638 upvotes
GreyingJay wrote: It's called shrinkage, and it's not the store's fault. The best they can do is update the inventory computer when they notice the discrepancy.

Or, it could very well be that they have one or two boxes sitting on a shelf back there in the warehouse. Good luck to the poor guy trying to find it. You ever seen what it looks like back there? I have, it's worse than your father's basement. They'll take a token look and then say "sorry, I couldn't find it." Which, frankly, is the truth, unless you expect them to disappear for 20 minutes while they rummage everywhere (and then you'd complain about how long it took! :) )
^^^ I agree, plus anytime they are OOS, they can usually tell me to the day, when more stock will be arriving.

Using old computers does not make their inventory system obsolete.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 11, 2003
5728 posts
184 upvotes
Toronto
[QUOTE]Using old computers does not make their inventory system obsolete. [/QUOTE]

AS400 systems are still capable of doing what Canadian tire needs, it's perfect actually.

Brent
--------------------------------------------------------------

"Any more irrelevant comments to pull out of your ***** ?"
"Your comments seem to be r ectal plucks." Pete_Coach

HEATWARE.... if you bought from me ... thanks
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
44749 posts
5333 upvotes
Richmond Hill
euphoria18_79 wrote: I am disappointed in the fact that they will no longer be doing online sales. Many times i did purchase online, for a few reasons. The closest CT is an hour drive. Thats not bad, if they have the product in stock. Many times, i would order a sale item online, because there is no stock, and i would rather not deal with the hassel of a rain check.
But, either way, i still love walking thru their store, buying things i truely do not need...lol.
The article states they are looking for "in store pickup" options instead. I think this is the way to go - they tackled the right idea here. Most of the stuff at CT are too big and shipping costs too much.

There's a reason why online purchasing hasn't expanded yet like we want it to, and that's because shipping is only worthwhile for items that are physically small but large in value, ie. electronics.
Artisan woodworker crafting live edge tables, end grain cutting boards, and other home decor
Silver Coins | Philips Wake-Up Light with Radio | Heatware
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 20, 2007
2915 posts
68 upvotes
Home
HBP wrote: Crap.

Crap.

I live 5 mins away from a CT and this is still annoying.
How is this annoying if you live closer to CT? :confused:
If you love something, set it free. If it comes back, it was, and always will be yours. If it never returns, it was never yours to begin with :|
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
28028 posts
8469 upvotes
googoo wrote: AS400 systems are still capable of doing what Canadian tire needs, it's perfect actually.
But is it capable of this?:
Gibson said the company is testing the possibility of someday allowing customers to place orders online, and pick up the items at the nearest store.
I've never actually ordered anything online from CT, so I'm definitely not going to miss their online sales provided they keep product/pricing/stock info online.

I would love in-store pickup on web orders though (at any store)--much preferrable to waiting around for your order to be processed and shipped.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 24, 2008
2081 posts
775 upvotes
ES_Revenge wrote: I've never actually ordered anything online from CT, so I'm definitely not going to miss their online sales provided they keep product/pricing/stock info online.

I would love in-store pickup on web orders though (at any store)--much preferrable to waiting around for your order to be processed and shipped.
+1

I don't live very close to any CT store but I often go by one when I'm going somewhere so ISPU would work for me.

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)