• Last Updated:
  • Feb 1st, 2009 10:43 am
28 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
3400 posts
540 upvotes
Hamilton
ok but are they taking down the prices and products as well? or just removing the option to buy it online?

I use the website all the time for (even as they mentioned) research, to see if there is any point in heading down to my local CT. I want to see if they even have what I am looking for.

If only lowes would wake up and start putting some products up on their website.
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2006
3687 posts
205 upvotes
Mississauga
adblink182 wrote: ok but are they taking down the prices and products as well? or just removing the option to buy it online?
Everything you want to know is in the link I posted in post #2.

Anyway, I also think they made a wise decision. The type of products they carry are not conducive to grow an online shopping site. I mean, even if you can buy paint or ice salt online, who would actually do that?
This move will remove a siginificant amount of overhead from their operations.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2003
5728 posts
183 upvotes
Toronto
Unlike Future Shop and BB, I make a point of stopping by CT every time I drive by, there is always something I need

So in that respect I think CT did what was right, and I have no problem with it.

I think CT is pretty much alone doing this, but they never were a big online shopping site.

Brent
--------------------------------------------------------------

"Any more irrelevant comments to pull out of your ***** ?"
"Your comments seem to be r ectal plucks." Pete_Coach

HEATWARE.... if you bought from me ... thanks
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2001
3089 posts
769 upvotes
Toronto
SportCheck.ca used to sell online too, but went offline.
googoo wrote: Unlike Future Shop and BB, I make a point of stopping by CT every time I drive by, there is always something I need

So in that respect I think CT did what was right, and I have no problem with it.

I think CT is pretty much alone doing this, but they never were a big online shopping site.

Brent
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
19211 posts
1700 upvotes
This sucks because I used to like the ability to order things online ahead of the sales rush here so I never had to worry about OOS.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Dec 12, 2007
771 posts
112 upvotes
I hope they keep posting prices. I was so sad when they discontinued the registry.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
4192 posts
3470 upvotes
Toronto
I do have to applaud them for having almost everything instore except small nik-naks shown on their website, regardless of whether you can order it online or not, so hopefully that doesn't change. I can't think of any major non-electronics store that does that as well. IMHO, it's already a great informational website compared to the other dept stores. Walmart.ca and the HBC stores are useless in comparison.

I'd rather they spend money on getting their inventory tracking up-to-date. Even ignoring the website, if you go instore and ask about an item, if they bring it up on their monochrome Vic20s and it shows one or two in stock, most likely there are none. Then they'll look up other locations, and recommend you go only to to location with 5 in stock, 'cause the ones showing less probably have zero.
Deal Addict
Aug 8, 2005
1108 posts
68 upvotes
I am disappointed in the fact that they will no longer be doing online sales. Many times i did purchase online, for a few reasons. The closest CT is an hour drive. Thats not bad, if they have the product in stock. Many times, i would order a sale item online, because there is no stock, and i would rather not deal with the hassel of a rain check.
But, either way, i still love walking thru their store, buying things i truely do not need...lol.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 8, 2005
5719 posts
743 upvotes
Their sales catalogue isn't elaborate enough, especially auto parts. Their selection on their website is crude. Good thing they notice and pull the plug

Up next, Walmart.ca. (It is shameful to look at, a pain for us to PM others) Just look at your counterpart walmart.com :mad:
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10453 posts
2029 upvotes
Nowhere
It's unfortunate that we are losing a Canadian online retailer. Online shopping should be expanding in Canada not shrinking. Those of us in urban areas forget that in a country this size, there are many that don't live near retail locations.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 22, 2005
7794 posts
974 upvotes
Crap.

Crap.

I live 5 mins away from a CT and this is still annoying.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2008
1600 posts
566 upvotes
jm1 wrote: I'd rather they spend money on getting their inventory tracking up-to-date. Even ignoring the website, if you go instore and ask about an item, if they bring it up on their monochrome Vic20s and it shows one or two in stock, most likely there are none. Then they'll look up other locations, and recommend you go only to to location with 5 in stock, 'cause the ones showing less probably have zero.
It's called shrinkage, and it's not the store's fault. The best they can do is update the inventory computer when they notice the discrepancy.

Or, it could very well be that they have one or two boxes sitting on a shelf back there in the warehouse. Good luck to the poor guy trying to find it. You ever seen what it looks like back there? I have, it's worse than your father's basement. They'll take a token look and then say "sorry, I couldn't find it." Which, frankly, is the truth, unless you expect them to disappear for 20 minutes while they rummage everywhere (and then you'd complain about how long it took! :) )
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2006
4590 posts
1573 upvotes
GreyingJay wrote: It's called shrinkage, and it's not the store's fault. The best they can do is update the inventory computer when they notice the discrepancy.

Or, it could very well be that they have one or two boxes sitting on a shelf back there in the warehouse. Good luck to the poor guy trying to find it. You ever seen what it looks like back there? I have, it's worse than your father's basement. They'll take a token look and then say "sorry, I couldn't find it." Which, frankly, is the truth, unless you expect them to disappear for 20 minutes while they rummage everywhere (and then you'd complain about how long it took! :) )
^^^ I agree, plus anytime they are OOS, they can usually tell me to the day, when more stock will be arriving.

Using old computers does not make their inventory system obsolete.