Locked: Canadian Tire Transmission Service Issues

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 4th, 2021 10:42 pm
[OP]
Apr 2, 2021
4 posts
1 upvote

Canadian Tire Transmission Service Issues

I recently took my Toyota 2010 RAV4 into Canadian Tire to have the Transmission serviced. They drained out the fluid and replaced it with fresh stuff, but I was expecting them to service it the same way the dealership would. When I went to pick up the vehicle, the service manager was telling me that they phoned Toyota about the vehicle and were told not to replace the filter and magnets. Does this make any sense? Why would Toyota tell them not to change out the filter and who are they talking to at Toyota for this information?
Share:
22 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
16803 posts
18500 upvotes
Oakville
NEVER take your car to Canadian Tire for service. RIP RAV4.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2013
1008 posts
1189 upvotes
Calgary
I’d pay to get it done again at Toyota otherwise RIP transmission.
Banned
Mar 2, 2021
252 posts
260 upvotes
Start planning your RAV4 funeral
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2016
5410 posts
3852 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
Brand new acct talking about service at Canadian Tire, pretty sure is a troll acct.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
29331 posts
9899 upvotes
newone99 wrote: I recently took my Toyota 2010 RAV4 into Canadian Tire to have the Transmission serviced. ...

Does this make any sense?
Nope, doesn't make a lick of sense! :lol:

Here's read for you while you wonder what fluid CT put in your car.
everyone-here-says-not-go-canadian-tire ... e-2436017/
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
12039 posts
2372 upvotes
Toronto
I have similar RAV-4s. Are you towing alot or something?
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2016
1020 posts
1534 upvotes
scarborough
I just don't seem to understand why Canadian Tire would have such crappy service.

Is it maybe their mechanics just dont give a shit. Is it poor employee between company and employee. Is it that they are so busy that they dont care about customer service. Is it because the mechanics are greedy. Is it because the company is greedy. Maybe their quota for ripping off customers are set to high.

Damn these companies and employees. Just do your F@@king job or find a new one. as for the CEO and management of the company wake up or your going to be history
Aug 21, 2010
936 posts
366 upvotes
toronto
my thought is,,canadian tire is there first car mechanic job from highschool, as canadian tire is a stepping stone to the next mechanic job, so canadian tire is taking new apprentices with little experience, so the job is not done well...as others i have had a bad experience as well with canadian tire..long time ago on my mustang they forgot the screwdriver , which was in the hood and while driving, i see smoke, that screwdriver puntured a rad hose...

explorer11 wrote: I just don't seem to understand why Canadian Tire would have such crappy service.

Is it maybe their mechanics just dont give a shit. Is it poor employee between company and employee. Is it that they are so busy that they dont care about customer service. Is it because the mechanics are greedy. Is it because the company is greedy. Maybe their quota for ripping off customers are set to high.

Damn these companies and employees. Just do your F@@king job or find a new one. as for the CEO and management of the company wake up or your going to be history
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
9789 posts
3336 upvotes
explorer11 wrote: I just don't seem to understand why Canadian Tire would have such crappy service.

Probably many factors but honestly I don't try and make sense of why, they just suck. I have so many stories
The leader of the past may have been a person who knew how to tell, but certainly, the leader of the future will be a person who knows how to ask. -Peter Drucker
May 31, 2008
210 posts
327 upvotes

From what I've heard, and I'm not sure if all or any of it is true, many of their mechanics are doing apprenticeship so they are technically learning on the job. Canadian tire hires a lot of apprentices so they can pay them less. The pay is also pretty low in general so good mechanics leave as soon as they can. So basically you have a lot of people that don't fully know what they are doing and the ones that do know what they are doing don't stay very long.

Canadian Tire has had crappy automotive service for decades. Almost everyone I know who has ever taken their car there for something other than the most basic thing has had problems. I've even seen them screw up oil changes and simple tire repairs.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against apprentices, as they all have to learn somewhere. However, an apprentice should be watched over by an experienced licenced mechanic and have their work checked, and it just doesn't seem like that is happening here.
Nov 10, 2003
801 posts
182 upvotes

It's not that the head office doesn't care, they just can't do much about it. Canadian Tire is built around a "dealer" model where the store dealer essentially owns the business and almost all the rights on how s/he wants to run it, which is why the customer experience varies so much from store to store. Some dealers do spend more to hire better staff and are willing to provide training whereas others aren't as inclined. Having said this, I would not take my car to Canadian Tire to be serviced.
[OP]
Apr 2, 2021
4 posts
1 upvote
Just to make it clear all I had them do was change the fluid in the transmission, transfer case and rear differential. I am actually going back to their shop on Monday because the plugs on the transfer case are leaking.

No I don't tow anything.

No this is not a troll account. All I did in this thread was ask a question about the filter replacement and who they would have contacted at Toyota about it. That's not even a complaint.
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2010
2536 posts
309 upvotes
Mississauga
Ummm my experience with Canadian Tire isn't too good
They didn't balance my wheels properly.....
And price are way too high
Jun 5, 2017
130 posts
138 upvotes
C5761EF5-59D7-47FF-8CCE-14E3DF6D29D6.jpeg
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
46292 posts
9308 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
newone99 wrote: Just to make it clear all I had them do was change the fluid in the transmission, transfer case and rear differential. I am actually going back to their shop on Monday because the plugs on the transfer case are leaking.

No I don't tow anything.

No this is not a troll account. All I did in this thread was ask a question about the filter replacement and who they would have contacted at Toyota about it. That's not even a complaint.
Then explain the following

- what made you join rfd?

-what do you use rfd for prior to joining?

-why do you ask a question on your first
Day of joining?
[OP]
Apr 2, 2021
4 posts
1 upvote
1. I joined in order to ask a question on this forum and receive input from other people about my issue.
2. This website comes up fairly frequently in google searches about different products and services I have made over the years. I mostly automotive stuff.
3. This is a forum. The whole purpose of a forum is to ask questions and discuss things. My topic was automotive so I posted here. I was not able to post my question without joining.

I wont be opening any more threads considering how unhelpful this has been. I will try a Toyota forum in the future.
[OP]
Apr 2, 2021
4 posts
1 upvote
Mod,

Can you lock this thread and delete my profile. I'm not going to get any real answers and this place had really off put me. Thanks
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
11635 posts
3326 upvotes
Ontario
IF this is a true situation & not a troll, My suggestion would be go to the Toyota dealer and get them to properly perform all those services because there is a very good chance they put the wrong fluid in so dont be surprised when your transmission or transfer case or something else fails on you in the near future.

You don't play around with such expensive items.
newone99 wrote: Just to make it clear all I had them do was change the fluid in the transmission, transfer case and rear differential. I am actually going back to their shop on Monday because the plugs on the transfer case are leaking.

No I don't tow anything.

Aug 30, 2020
950 posts
1428 upvotes
YEG/YYZ
In b4 t case threads are cross threaded