• Mar 27th, 2024 9:10 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Feb 2, 2007
1108 posts
1118 upvotes
GTA
xiaobao wrote: Thanks, I thought I read once that you get roadside for 10 years. I am also guessing you must carry the CC to be actually use roadside.
When you call for roadside assistance, they identify you by looking up your phone number on your credit card account.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
cdncbum12 wrote: Has anyone used the CT MC bill pay option? I'm looking to pay some property taxes. For the city of Ottawa, the only viable option for the payee was "Ottawa-Tax" and I just put my roll number as the account number. Does that sound accurate?
Afaik should work. Do a test payment of $1 and try it out.
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg Genesis/InLock/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Deal Addict
May 7, 2019
1470 posts
1287 upvotes
Ontario
titaniumtux wrote: Afaik should work. Do a test payment of $1 and try it out.
Hey, no need to risk a buck.

I made a payment of one cent, to test my link to a biller. Worked like a charm :-)
Deal Addict
May 7, 2019
1470 posts
1287 upvotes
Ontario
angel_wing0 wrote: Not without fees.
Exactly. Fees and a 20%+ interest rate.

Cards issued by every other finance provider, treat these payments as a cash advance.
Mar 23, 2004
47725 posts
13890 upvotes
Markham
banker8 wrote: Exactly. Fees and a 20%+ interest rate.

Cards issued by every other finance provider, treat these payments as a cash advance.
To be fair, there are utilities that do allow credit card payments through a payment provider like Paymentus. Those usually charge a fee of 1.75-2.50% and is treated as a normal cc payment.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
banker8 wrote: Exactly. Fees and a 20%+ interest rate.

I think the only one that fits your criteria would be BNS. The only issuer I'm aware of that allows cash advances through online banking conducting any transaction other than the obvious transfer of funds from CC to deposit account. BNS allows paying utility bills with CC and charging cash advance. No other FI's that I'm aware of allow using CC as funding source to bill pay a payee and charge for cash advance.

I'm suspecting BNS did this because their uLOC is packaged in the form of a VISA.
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg Genesis/InLock/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2012
3747 posts
909 upvotes
angel_wing0 wrote: Not without fees.
Coquitlam utilities that you pay once a year accepts credit cards without fees.
Deal Addict
May 7, 2019
1470 posts
1287 upvotes
Ontario
titaniumtux wrote: I think the only one that fits your criteria would be BNS. The only issuer I'm aware of that allows cash advances through online banking conducting any transaction other than the obvious transfer of funds from CC to deposit account. BNS allows paying utility bills with CC and charging cash advance. No other FI's that I'm aware of allow using CC as funding source to bill pay a payee and charge for cash advance.

I'm suspecting BNS did this because their uLOC is packaged in the form of a VISA.
At least two of the big players allow it, BNS and RBC. Perhaps others, too ... I haven't attempted paying bills with all of them. Curiously, Tangerine don't allow it, even though their parent company (BNS) does.

Here's RBC's advice, that bill payments from a CC are treated as a cash advance:

Paying a bill with your RBC Royal Bank credit card is considered a cash advance
Deal Addict
May 7, 2019
1470 posts
1287 upvotes
Ontario
cdncbum12 wrote: Has anyone used the CT MC bill pay option?
Isn't that what the 289 pages of this thread are all about?
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
banker8 wrote: At least two of the big players allow it, BNS and RBC. Perhaps others, too ... I haven't attempted paying bills with all of them. Curiously, Tangerine don't allow it, even though their parent company (BNS) does.

Here's RBC's advice, that bill payments from a CC are treated as a cash advance:

Paying a bill with your RBC Royal Bank credit card is considered a cash advance
nice find! kinda ridiculous for them to do that. maybe an IT fail, making it the only way to pay bills with rbc rewards pts as well?
Deal Addict
May 7, 2019
1470 posts
1287 upvotes
Ontario
titaniumtux wrote: nice find! kinda ridiculous for them to do that. maybe an IT fail, making it the only way to pay bills with rbc rewards pts as well?
Sadly not. They won't give you points for a cash advance. You'll pay a cash advance fee and 20%+ interest from the date of the transaction, but will receive nothing in return. No cash back, no rewards points.

It's not a mistake by their IT team. If it was, it wouldn't be clearly stated in their T&C's that a bill payment is treated as a cash advance. Rather, it's a deliberate way to bleed money out of the financially illiterate. I guess they gotta find a way to "make a buck" on their cards portfolio - they certainly don't make much from us cluey RFD'sers ;-)

From the T&C's of an RBC cash back card:

"Cash Back Credits are earned on Net Purchases only; they are not earned on Cash Advances (including balance transfers, Cash-Like transactions and bill payments that are not pre-authorized charges that you set up with a merchant)"

RBC - Cash Back T&C's

================

So, don't ever use BNS or RBC (or any other bank that allows it) to make a credit card bill payment from the bank's own website . They'll treat it as a cash advance. CTFS being the only exception, whom shall treat it as a purchase.

If you have a Non-CTFS card, be sure to only do CC bill payments (whether once-off, or recurring & pre-authorised) from the merchant's own website. Or use a third party payment facilitator such as PaySimply.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
@banker8 maybe I wasn't clear enough in my previous post...

RBC does allow users to make bill payments by redeeming rewards pts. I'm thinking maybe in order to offer that feature, they needed to allow cash advancing CC as funding source to pay bills as well.

But ya, pretty useless "feature" with BNS & RBC.
Deal Addict
May 7, 2019
1470 posts
1287 upvotes
Ontario
titaniumtux wrote: @banker8 maybe I wasn't clear enough in my previous post...

RBC does allow users to make bill payments by redeeming rewards pts.
Ah, I see. Thanks for clarifying. I wasn't aware of that.
Jun 4, 2018
323 posts
212 upvotes
Do people only get this card for bill payments and roadside assistance?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2014
6052 posts
4059 upvotes
Parry Sound
AlexS37855 wrote: Do people only get this card for bill payments and roadside assistance?
It's not good for much else unless you shop at CT brand stores.
Gas is limited to CT and Husky (Husky partnership is supposedly ending).
4% is limited to CT brand stores.
Groceries at 3% up to $12k is pretty good if you're fine with collecting CT Money.

The BMO card offers 3% cashback for groceries. I think it includes Walmart but it's only up to $500 per month. I'm sure a lot of families can blow through that easily.

The best alternative is the PCWE if you're fine with collecting PCO points. Groceries is at 3% (more when combined with PCO). Gas is 3-4% depending on the price of a litre. But you're limited to Loblaw stores and Esso/Mobil.
This message has not been approved by The Office of The Mayor of Toronto.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
finally redeemed my eCTM. used it on sod for some green grass that we were gonna buy anyway. been collecting while spending at superstore garden centre for the 3x which is no-AmEx anyway. gotta love CTFS!
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2012
10043 posts
3758 upvotes
multi city dweller
Quiz: Is it possible to get into negative eCTM balance? Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)