[Canadian Tire] Various MAXIMUM Impact Socket/Bit Sets on Sale

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 26th, 2018 12:49 pm
[OP]
Dec 6, 2017
42 posts
48 upvotes

[Canadian Tire] Various MAXIMUM Impact Socket/Bit Sets on Sale

CT Have a lot of MAXIMUM tools on sale, including many of the Impact rated socket/bit sets.

Hex Drive - Driving Bit/Socket set; $39.99 -> $19.99; -50%
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/maxim ... p.html#srp

Hex Drive - Driving Bit, Drill Bit, Socket set; $99.99 -> $49.99; -50%

1/2" Drive - 38pc Socket Set; $199.99 -> $59.99; -70%

3/8" & 1/2" Drive - 83pc Socket & Driving bit set; $349.99 -> $99.99; -70%

Should get a few of the normal Canadian Tire replies out of the way:
"Missing some sizes, I won't buy this because I only ever use 16mm and nothing else"
"Canadian Tire are taking the piss if they think those original prices are sensible"
"Still a decent price when on discount"
15 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2011
3253 posts
2568 upvotes
The NORTH
purplegreendave wrote:
Sep 25th, 2018 5:00 pm
"Missing some sizes, I won't buy this because I only ever use 16mm and nothing else"
Only one of the sets include the actual sizes of included items so I can't comment.
purplegreendave wrote:
"Canadian Tire are taking the piss if they think those original prices are sensible"
They don't think the original prices are sense able, its marketing to get you to BELIEVE there is a sale when the sale price is actually the retail price. I believe that the rule of thumb is that you need at least 70% off to consider purchasing from CT, 2 of these sets hit that mark and I am thinking of getting one... Although I already have an impact set (smaller) and haven't run into needing a size I didn't already have...
purplegreendave wrote:
"Still a decent price when on discount"
Subjective. The two sets that are 1/2 off are not worth it... The 26 piece set I have seen Dewalt impact sets with the same pieces for about $5 less in the past so if you NEED it now, meh... The 84 piece set is a joke! 1/2 the pieces are interchangeable screw driver heads, and a 1/4 of the remaining pieces are drill bits. Who in their right mind is using an impact driver with drill bits and interchangeable screw driver heads. If you cant get a screw out with a hand driver or regular drill all an impact is going to do is destroy the screw.

OP - Not bemoaning your post, this is just what Canadian Tire is... I have been watching their ratcheting wrench sets and 2 weeks ago they had the big red flyer with an 18 piece set for $59 on sale (save $375) but was missing some key sizes I needed so I passed. I went into the store and looked at the sets, right beside them were 24 piece sets for $399. Can you guess whats on sale this week? The 24 piece sets are on for $99 (save $300) and they have the sizes that I want so I might pick them up. Again, this is just what Canadian Tire has become...
Feb 7, 2007
98 posts
75 upvotes
Laval
kr0zet wrote:
Sep 25th, 2018 5:33 pm
Subjective. The two sets that are 1/2 off are not worth it... The 26 piece set I have seen Dewalt impact sets with the same pieces for about $5 less in the past so if you NEED it now, meh...
I'm interested in the 1/2" Drive - 38pc Socket Set but I'm not a CT fan.
Do you have any recommendations of previous items in sale that I should put in my watch list?
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2011
3253 posts
2568 upvotes
The NORTH
xraycat_redflag wrote:
Sep 25th, 2018 10:00 pm
Do you have any recommendations of previous items in sale that I should put in my watch list?
Thats the one set I am thinking of. I have a 1/2 inch impact driver so the larger set with the 3/8 inch makes no sense. My only concerns are the hex bits (i have never needed an impact gun for one of these) and the 1/2 inch to 3/8 inch adapter which is useless as the set is advertised as 1/2 inch. I'm going to check it out tomorrow...

I have two Maximum impact sets, a 12 piece metric deep socket and a 9 piece swivel set. Both have never been an issue with my electric impact or my air gun. I wouldn't worry about the quality so much as getting the sizes you need.

**EDIT**

This is close to the swivel set I have. Its 7 piece and I have 9 (the 12mm and 10mm are missing) Its on sale for $39.99 (70% off) which is about what I paid for it 2 or 3 years ago but it is missing 2 sizes.

This is close to the deep socket set I have. Its missing 2 pieces as well, the 9mm and 22mm or 24mm, I can't remember off the top of my head. I picked up my set for I believe $24.99 on a boxing week special a few years ago.
Last edited by kr0zet on Sep 25th, 2018 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jul 23, 2006
403 posts
120 upvotes
Toronto
xraycat_redflag wrote:
I recommend princess auto 1/2" socket set, that have large size , like 24mm, I think CT set largest is 19mm or 20 mm
Deal Fanatic
Feb 5, 2006
6470 posts
820 upvotes
Toronto
googlebot wrote:
Sep 25th, 2018 10:36 pm
I recommend princess auto 1/2" socket set, that have large size , like 24mm, I think CT set largest is 19mm or 20 mm
Many lugnuts are 21mm, so you definitely should get a set with that size.
[OP]
Dec 6, 2017
42 posts
48 upvotes
kr0zet wrote:
Sep 25th, 2018 5:33 pm
OP - Not bemoaning your post...
Really that last part was just a joke that fell flat. I guess RFD is much more serious than Reddit/the other boards I keep an eye on, I fully agree - when I was in CT this afternoon I mentioned to my dad (visiting from Ireland) that most Mastercraft/MAXIMUM stuff is on sale 35+ weeks of the year and you don''t pay the sticker price unless you're really, really stuck.

Personally I've been on the lookout for any 1/2" drive, allen head, impact rated bits on sale. The hubs on my truck look something like this and, have allen/hex head bolts that probably haven't moved in 20 years. That's why the last one I linked piqued my interest and I just posted them all in case it would help someone.

To be honest, If you want to kit out your home garage/shop with a bunch of tools you might need some day these are pretty decent prices - the 83pc set is ~$1/socket and that's disregarding the other crap + it comes with a lifetime warranty. If you already know you only need one size for a specific job then any kit is a waste of money.
Oct 26, 2014
35 posts
6 upvotes
Kelowna
CT will have these on sale in the next flyer so if you don't that many sockets like I do, probably wait until Thursday

Image Image
Mar 31, 2008
708 posts
408 upvotes
Airdrie
I might grab that $59 1/2 inch set. Looks good to me.
Feb 2, 2010
503 posts
314 upvotes
Cambridge
Inno wrote:
Sep 25th, 2018 10:51 pm
Many lugnuts are 21mm, so you definitely should get a set with that size.
This. Mine are 22mm and the water plug on my trailer is 24mm.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2011
3253 posts
2568 upvotes
The NORTH
purplegreendave wrote:
Sep 26th, 2018 2:58 am
Really that last part was just a joke that fell flat. I guess RFD is much more serious than Reddit/the other boards I keep an eye on, I fully agree - when I was in CT this afternoon I mentioned to my dad (visiting from Ireland) that most Mastercraft/MAXIMUM stuff is on sale 35+ weeks of the year and you don''t pay the sticker price unless you're really, really stuck.
Wasn't joking which is why you wern't laughing, and the example i gave was exactly what you described to you father... Not sure how that went over your head... If you are looking for a site that pats you on the head for mediocrity, RFD isn't it. I'd be surprised if reddit was either.
purplegreendave wrote:
Personally I've been on the lookout for any 1/2" drive, allen head, impact rated bits on sale. The hubs on my truck look something like this and, have allen/hex head bolts that probably haven't moved in 20 years. That's why the last one I linked piqued my interest and I just posted them all in case it would help someone.
The last set has H5, H6, H8, H10, then 1/2, 5/16, 3/8. Great for bikes peddle or gas (petrol if you prefer). The third set, the one I recommended and another RFD'er was looking at has H10, H12, H14 & H17 as well as 3/8, 1/2, and 9/16 all of these sizes are suited for auto use.

PS The reason no one posts these types of threads is that currently here are the remaining Maximum Impact sets that are on sale that you didn't mention:
5 Piece Bolt Remover - $29.99 (55% Off)
9 Piece Impact Accessory set - $29.99 (70% Off)
150 Piece Impact Set - $149.99 (70% Off)
14 Piece HEX Set - $29.99 (60% Off)
14 Piece TROX Set - $29.99 (60% Off)
5 Piece Bolt/Nut Remover - $19.99 (60% Off)
7 Piece Swivel Metric Set - $39.99 (70% Off)
7 Piece Swivel SAE Set - $39.99 (70% Off)
purplegreendave wrote:
To be honest, If you want to kit out your home garage/shop with a bunch of tools you might need some day these are pretty decent prices - the 83pc set is ~$1/socket and that's disregarding the other crap + it comes with a lifetime warranty. If you already know you only need one size for a specific job then any kit is a waste of money.
2 problems here...
First, the 83 piece set includes impact drivers for 3/8 and 1/2, so as I stated you would need to own 2 different impact guns to use the set. OR you will be relying on the step down adapter to drive your 3/8 socket off a 1/2 impact gun and if you want to be using that lifetime warranty a lot then this is what you want to be doing. The failure point of stepping the torque from a 1/2 gun down to a 3/8 socket will be that adapter and it will fail. A step down adapter is ok for a situation were you don't have a choice, not as a substitution because half your sockets REQUIRE you to use it. If you have a 1/2 impact driver then the 38 piece set is the MUCH better choice.
Second, if your concern is that the price per piece needs to be the lowest to 'kit' out your garage with everything you 'might' need then your 83 piece set is ok at $1.20 a piece. But the 150 piece set I listed is better as its under a buck a piece. Personally I'd buy neither as the quantity of the tools I buy is not on the top of my priority list.

Anyway.... As I said, I was not bemoaning your post OP, You shared a deal and I even agreed that 1 of the sets warranted a second look. You obviously knew; as per your tag line that a Canadian Tire 'deal' was very subjective...
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2004
9189 posts
581 upvotes
Toronto
xraycat_redflag wrote:
either MACK tools, or buy princess auto...
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."
Nov 17, 2014
505 posts
541 upvotes
QC
More inflated canadian tire crap pricing.. This needs to stop.
SAVE 9999999$ on this 1$ screwdriver... no one pays full price for their crap!
Aug 8, 2006
79 posts
31 upvotes
Mississauga
I bought one of the Maximum impact hex bits sets last year and am very disappointed. The square recess bits round off after a few uses.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2011
3253 posts
2568 upvotes
The NORTH
oogabooga wrote:
Sep 26th, 2018 10:58 am
I bought one of the Maximum impact hex bits sets last year and am very disappointed. The square recess bits round off after a few uses.
Take them back. you can take back individual pieces (or you use to be able to) and they will replace just the piece that is broken. Wont help long term if the tool is garbage but you might have gotten something from a bad batch.