• Last Updated:
  • Aug 2nd, 2020 8:44 am
[OP]
Feb 28, 2011
166 posts
149 upvotes
ottawa

[Canadian Tire] Vermont Castings Pioneer Charcoal Kamado BBQ Grill $699

Canadian Tire has sale on Vermont Castings Pioneer Charcoal Kamado BBQ Grill for $699 from $899.

I own Big Green Egg and, I am a fan of charcoal kamado BBQing. Although, I have not tried this Vermont Castings Pioneer, I just saw it in our local CT for the first time but, considering the price, great reputation of Vermont Castings, 10 years warranty and most of all kamado cooking style, I would consider it a great deal. Arguably, may be even better than those cheaper generic clay kamados.

This grill looks and feels quite solid with metallic seals and well positioned vents. The rectangular shape means better utilization of the cooking space on heavy duty cast grades. If I did not have my BGE, for the price and build I would be tempted to get this one over generic clay kamados. Over the years my BGE had few cracks in the fire pit and top cap. This VC would not have such problem.

Perhaps, someone has this grill and can share the experience on this particular topic.

Here is the link to the grill:
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/verm ... p.html#srp

This is the summary from product page:
Elevate your cooking experience with the Vermont Castings Pioneer™ Charcoal Kamado BBQ
7-in-1 cooking: smoke, barbecue, grill, bake, roast, sear and char, all with results of rich charcoal flavour
Features 558 sq. in. of total cooking surface, with a 400 sq. in. primary cooking surface that's 27% larger than a circular grill
Last edited by Mars2012 on Jul 31st, 2020 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added retailer to title
31 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2006
3153 posts
1199 upvotes
Ottawa
Vermont castings went out of business, and the name got sold to someone else I believe.. It ain't what we think it used to be, and this is a new product I believe as well.. So be cautious
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2006
3153 posts
1199 upvotes
Ottawa
gena_mak wrote: Canadian Tire has sale on Vermont Castings Pioneer Charcoal Kamado BBQ Grill for $699 from $899.

I own Big Green Egg and, I am a fan of charcoal kamado BBQing. Although, I have not tried this Vermont Castings Pioneer, I just saw it in our local CT for the first time but, considering the price, great reputation of Vermont Castings, 10 years warranty and most of all kamado cooking style, I would consider it a great deal. Arguably, may be even better than those cheaper generic clay kamados.

This grill looks and feels quite solid with metallic seals and well positioned vents. The rectangular shape means better utilization of the cooking space on heavy duty cast grades. If I did not have my BGE, for the price and build I would be tempted to get this one over generic clay kamados. Over the years my BGE had few cracks in the fire pit and top cap. This VC would not have such problem.

Perhaps, someone has this grill and can share the experience on this particular topic.

Here is the link to the grill:
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/verm ... p.html#srp

This is the summary from product page:
Elevate your cooking experience with the Vermont Castings Pioneer™ Charcoal Kamado BBQ
7-in-1 cooking: smoke, barbecue, grill, bake, roast, sear and char, all with results of rich charcoal flavour
Features 558 sq. in. of total cooking surface, with a 400 sq. in. primary cooking surface that's 27% larger than a circular grill
BTW your cracks are under warranty
Sep 15, 2011
965 posts
500 upvotes
HUNTSVILLE
I'd be reluctant on this one, I think anything other than ceramic won't have the same longevity, that's just my instinct though (having owned an Akorn that literally had the bottom fall off after about 3 years heavy use). Save your money, grab a ceramic IMO.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2005
2642 posts
346 upvotes
Ive had my vision kamado for 7 years and used it literally 100s and 100s of times. Its still basically mint except the wood side trays are starting to crack a bit and i had to replace the seals once. The ceramic cookers last
[OP]
Feb 28, 2011
166 posts
149 upvotes
ottawa
shylok wrote: BTW your cracks are under warranty
You need a receipt for warranty. I don’t have one as I am not the original buyer. I got it new as a gift many years ago.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2006
3153 posts
1199 upvotes
Ottawa
gena_mak wrote: You need a receipt for warranty. I don’t have one as I am not the original buyer. I got it new as a gift many years ago.
Usually they'll do warranty on that kinda stuff. Have you asked recently? Ask a dealer maybe who it was bought from or contact bge directly
[OP]
Feb 28, 2011
166 posts
149 upvotes
ottawa
hoody123 wrote: I'd be reluctant on this one, I think anything other than ceramic won't have the same longevity, that's just my instinct though (having owned an Akorn that literally had the bottom fall off after about 3 years heavy use). Save your money, grab a ceramic IMO.
I don’t say they are bad but, as in my case, to replace cracked fire pit in my BGE is $300. And I can not claim warranty... don’t get me wrong I like the grill but, if it was metal I wouldn’t have this problem on my hand.
[OP]
Feb 28, 2011
166 posts
149 upvotes
ottawa
shylok wrote: Usually they'll do warranty on that kinda stuff. Have you asked recently? Ask a dealer maybe who it was bought from or contact bge directly
I tried and they won’t.
Jul 24, 2019
8 posts
14 upvotes
I actually have this grill. It really is great. It comes with a split heat deflector so you can do indirect and direct in one set up. Very tight as is, however, I purchased some food grade grease to do the seals and top vent. So now when it's shut, it's shut tight. As for the warranty, it carries a Canadian Tire special warranty. What this means is within 10 years it is exchange or refund at any Canadian Tire if you still have the receipt. If anything is wrong what so ever. So $700 for a tight komado with an exchange or refund policy for 10 years? Totes worth it .
Nov 2, 2016
58 posts
24 upvotes
Vancouver
holy mother this thing looks badass. looks at all those feature. I've been cooking on my round weber standard starter charcoal grill for 5 years, makes to most delicious food ever.
I think I mastered most of the limited cooking methods with it.
This things look amazing, with the wood chip smoking option.! got me tempted but $700 seems way out of the league of my $90 dollar weber grill lol.
but man think of all the different kinds of food I can cook on this.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2008
3613 posts
599 upvotes
Niagara Falls, ON
hoody123 wrote: just my instinct though (having owned an Akorn that literally had the bottom fall off after about 3 years heavy use). Save your money, grab a ceramic IMO.
My akorn did the same however my Keg, also metal, has been abused for 10 years and doing great. Plus I can move it myself Winking Face.

The akorn had a bad design with that ash tray. A Weber kettle will last forever and nothing is built cheaper than that thing
gena_mak wrote: I don’t say they are bad but, as in my case, to replace cracked fire pit in my BGE is $300. And I can not claim warranty... don’t get me wrong I like the grill but, if it was metal I wouldn’t have this problem on my hand.
That's normal for an egg. My FIL has the same.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
10846 posts
5925 upvotes
Markham
gena_mak wrote: You need a receipt for warranty. I don’t have one as I am not the original buyer. I got it new as a gift many years ago.
You should have asked the gifter to give you the receipt.... For warranty purposes. I would consider this out of line as it's not like I can't figure out what it costs.

Having said that BGE should absolutely stand behind their very expensive premium product regardless of first buyer or tenth buyer.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
10846 posts
5925 upvotes
Markham
MatthewS1684 wrote: I actually have this grill. It really is great. It comes with a split heat deflector so you can do indirect and direct in one set up. Very tight as is, however, I purchased some food grade grease to do the seals and top vent. So now when it's shut, it's shut tight. As for the warranty, it carries a Canadian Tire special warranty. What this means is within 10 years it is exchange or refund at any Canadian Tire if you still have the receipt. If anything is wrong what so ever. So $700 for a tight komado with an exchange or refund policy for 10 years? Totes worth it .
Why did they make the cast iron heat deflector flat...grease can accumulate and flare.

If be interested in reading the Special Warranty... Can you post pic so we can read it as it's not in the website.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Jul 24, 2019
8 posts
14 upvotes
No idea why the grates are flat. They don't come together perfectly tight so there is drainage in the middle too I suppose. I personally haven't encountered this flare up phenomenon yet. I use it almost daily. It's listed as a "special warranty" on the Canadian Tire website. It mentions to call in specifically to see what it is for this item. So I did. It also comes with a Vermont castings Warranty. 10 years on body, 2 years on everything else.