Hot Deals

[Canadian Tire] Vermont Castings Pioneer Charcoal Kamado BBQ Grill $699

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 2nd, 2020 8:44 am
Jul 24, 2019
8 posts
14 upvotes
No idea why the grates are flat. They don't come together perfectly tight so there is drainage in the middle too I suppose. I personally haven't encountered this flare up phenomenon yet. I use it almost daily. It's listed as a "special warranty" on the Canadian Tire website. It mentions to call in specifically to see what it is for this item. So I did. It also comes with a Vermont castings Warranty. 10 years on body, 2 years on everything else. I will say, the legs could be stronger. It does wobble slightly left to right. I have no idea why they didn't put effort into the legs.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2004
6306 posts
2507 upvotes
No thanks - Factory Direct and CT are two dishonest retailers that I refuse to patronize.
Good luck trying to exercise the terms of your "Special Warranty" a few years from now. CT will find 1000 reasons why they shouldn't honour it.
Jul 24, 2019
8 posts
14 upvotes
That's fair. However, I have some experience with their special warranty.. I purchased a 12v battery charger from them. A few years later and button began to fail and I remembered it had a 5 year special warranty. I brought it in with the receipt, the grabbed another one off the shelf and I was good to go, with a new 5 year warranty included. This was a $220 battery charger.
Last edited by MatthewS1684 on Jul 31st, 2020 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jul 24, 2019
8 posts
14 upvotes
I forgot to mention Canadian Tire actually owns Vermont Castings now. And one of my questions to then was how will they honor the warranty if the company goes out of business. They issue a refund is what I was told.
[OP]
Feb 28, 2011
141 posts
97 upvotes
ottawa
MatthewS1684 wrote: No idea why the grates are flat. They don't come together perfectly tight so there is drainage in the middle too I suppose. I personally haven't encountered this flare up phenomenon yet. I use it almost daily. It's listed as a "special warranty" on the Canadian Tire website. It mentions to call in specifically to see what it is for this item. So I did. It also comes with a Vermont castings Warranty. 10 years on body, 2 years on everything else. I will say, the legs could be stronger. It does wobble slightly left to right. I have no idea why they didn't put effort into the legs.
Do you mean lower grates for indirect cooking?
You don’t need drainage. You don’t need any fats leak into charcoal. When I do indirect cooking on bge I put aluminum tray on the plate setter. Sometimes I add water to the tray.
Last edited by gena_mak on Jul 31st, 2020 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
17829 posts
901 upvotes
shylok wrote: Vermont castings went out of business, and the name got sold to someone else I believe.. It ain't what we think it used to be, and this is a new product I believe as well.. So be cautious
I was thinking of forwarding this deal to my bro.. Who'd they sell out to?

edit: nevermind, posted above says Canadian Tire actually owns them now? Wonder what the warranty process is like if needed
[OP]
Feb 28, 2011
141 posts
97 upvotes
ottawa
duckdown wrote: I was thinking of forwarding this deal to my bro.. Who'd they sell out to?

edit: nevermind, posted above says Canadian Tire actually owns them now? Wonder what the warranty process is like if needed
Should not be that bad. I had their mastercraft ratchet, it broke. Brought back to the store, they replaced it no questions asked, no receipt needed. Same experience I had in Home Depot with their kitchen faucet. It was quite expensive faucet was installed in my house when I bought it and, broke after 10 years or so, they did not have it in stoke. Gave me money and I bought new faucet right on the spot.
Jun 9, 2003
232 posts
129 upvotes
wiebecj wrote: Ive had my vision kamado for 7 years and used it literally 100s and 100s of times. Its still basically mint except the wood side trays are starting to crack a bit and i had to replace the seals once. The ceramic cookers last
I agree 110%. Ceramic is the way to go. I also own a Vision kamado grill (over 7 years too) and there is no comparison from a ceramic kamado to this steel kamado, especially at this price. Do yourselves a favor and go the ceramic route.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
10153 posts
5296 upvotes
Markham
10 yrs on the body and 2 yrs on everything else...nothing will happen to the "body" and the 2 yrs on everything else is not going to do much as I find nothing will get that broken in 2 yrs that you'll be able to use that for warranty. Sneaky they don't write the warranty on the website.

Cdn Tire policies and customer service:

I agree that Cdn Tire can be really bad with some stuff when it comes to returns/warranty etc. Small stuff with "Lifetime" warranty, you won't have much problem if you have a receipt but they can be a real PITA to deal with.

YMMV on the store and the store manager.

They also have the dumbest policy 90 day return but 30 day price protection...ppl will just buy at sale price [if past 30 days] and return with old receipt. But store manager will give you a hard time saying you can't do that...it's fraud etc etc etc.

I've had stores tell me they don't want to process a return on a sale item because I bought it another store even, they'd ask me to go back to the other store which I'm not going to do.

I've seen one store try and deny a customer an exchange on a kiddie pool when it was leaking air....citing they're unopened box rule. How is the customer going to determine it's leaking without opening the box?
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Nov 23, 2018
36 posts
17 upvotes
Interesting deal, but hard to find reviews on this makes me wary,
Owned by CT makes me even more wary.

If I went with a non ceramic, I think I’d go with the broil king keg 5000.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
10153 posts
5296 upvotes
Markham
lars9201 wrote: Interesting deal, but hard to find reviews on this makes me wary,
Owned by CT makes me even more wary.

If I went with a non ceramic, I think I’d go with the broil king keg 5000.
There are 10 reviews on the CdnTire site.

Some of the negatives cited
Thermometer broke
faulty latches
Wobby
lid not lining up with body
paint imperfections

Personally...For the same money buy yourself a Masterbuilt Gravity smoker. If the new tech concerns you, buy a Old school Weber Kettle.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Apr 20, 2019
24 posts
15 upvotes
shylok wrote: Vermont castings went out of business, and the name got sold to someone else I believe.. It ain't what we think it used to be, and this is a new product I believe as well.. So be cautious
Made in China. The quality felt mediocre. I wouldn't buy.
Apr 10, 2017
963 posts
329 upvotes
I got my Master Chef steel Kamado from CT 2 yrs ago and its going strong (Re-branded Akorn). Im a 365 griller.

I have thoughts of buying a ceramic one but honestly unless I have something to test it side by side, it's hard to really spend $900 upwards for a ceramic. Ive pretty much done everything to it including slow cooking brisket for 8-10hrs.

I got my grill for less than $150 from an end of season sale plus a combination of a discount, pts and 30x event. Almost felt like I stole my grill out the door.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2006
2964 posts
930 upvotes
Ottawa
Biscayne05 wrote: I got my Master Chef steel Kamado from CT 2 yrs ago and its going strong (Re-branded Akorn). Im a 365 griller.

I have thoughts of buying a ceramic one but honestly unless I have something to test it side by side, it's hard to really spend $900 upwards for a ceramic. Ive pretty much done everything to it including slow cooking brisket for 8-10hrs.

I got my grill for less than $150 from an end of season sale plus a combination of a discount, pts and 30x event. Almost felt like I stole my grill out the door.
900+++++ by time you add it all up with tables easy 3k..its sickening for a bge or primo..
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2012
1034 posts
752 upvotes
VANCOUVER
I'm always interested in trying new grills, but I think this is too pricey for the name and lack of track record.

$500 and that'd be another picture.