Canadian Tire

Water Saver Grass Seed $11.99 (60% off)

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 10th, 2018 2:17 pm
[OP]
Feb 20, 2018
79 posts
378 upvotes

[Canadian Tire] Water Saver Grass Seed $11.99 (60% off)

Good price fo 2kg of grass seed. Great time to overseed your lawn. Anybody ever used this seed?
Last edited by TomRFD on Sep 6th, 2018 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added price to title
59 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2015
1638 posts
923 upvotes
Mont-Royal, QC
I got "Regular Price: $29.99" in the link, where you can find it at $11.99
Deal Fanatic
Jul 22, 2007
6661 posts
6205 upvotes
Calgary
Every time I buy no name seed, it never works.
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2005
4095 posts
6363 upvotes
Abbotsford B.C.
earthpetal wrote: I got "Regular Price: $29.99" in the link, where you can find it at $11.99
the sale starts Thursday

also, anyone know if this is good for shade or direct sun?

found the answer in their questions
Yes, the varieties contained in Water Saver are all Fescue’s which are the most shade tolerant of all grass seed species. That being said, all grasses need about an hour of sun a day to survive. The biggest challenge with shade areas is the pH balance of the soil - I recommend that you check your pH balance and correct it if necessary.
Last edited by raskal on Sep 5th, 2018 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feb 14, 2010
953 posts
379 upvotes
The Great North
Wow, so glad I waited, wanted to try this out on my lawn.
Can anyone recommend what lawn fertilizer I should use?
Also the best time to overseed and spread fertilizer?
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2006
2960 posts
2555 upvotes
Markham
nivek_k2020 wrote: Wow, so glad I waited, wanted to try this out on my lawn.
Can anyone recommend what lawn fertilizer I should use?
Also the best time to overseed and spread fertilizer?
Overseeding time is now. You want to do it before we get overnight frost. It’s getting late, but you can still do a summer fertilizer now. Fall fertilizer I usually do around Thanksgiving.

Freedom Mobile $40/20GB
Public Mobile $38/5GB
Dec 14, 2016
264 posts
523 upvotes
raskal wrote: the sale starts Thursday

also, anyone know if this is good for shade or direct sun?

found the answer in their questions
That answer confuses me. "Drought tolerant" gives me the impression that it grows well in areas that get a lot of sun/heat with minimal water. Why would it also be good for shaded areas?

EDIT: Found another retailer with a better product description...

"Water Saver with RTF is a special blend of Turf Type Tall Fescues selected for superb color, texture, disease resistance and mobility. Its deep rooting system enables Water Saver to tolerate drought and heat exceptionally well. Your Water Saver lawn will grow beautifully in sun or shade allowing you to mow close and decrease your lawn maintenance. Best of all, you'll use substantially less water to maintain the richness of your Water Saver lawn."

Guess it's just that versatile, but I'll be aiming to use it for a south facing lawn which gets a ton of sun/heat.
Feb 14, 2010
953 posts
379 upvotes
The Great North
HDawg wrote: Overseeding time is now. You want to do it before we get overnight frost. It’s getting late, but you can still do a summer fertilizer now. Fall fertilizer I usually do around Thanksgiving.
What brand of fertilizer do you use?
There are so many to pick from....
Deal Addict
May 25, 2011
3073 posts
4609 upvotes
SAINT JOHN
SammyDavis wrote: Every time I buy no name seed, it never works.
I find using the cheaper stuff in the beginning of the season works better as it is more moist then in the late summer/early fall where the seeds can dry out quicker because of the warm/hot weather if you forget to keep watering it 1-3 times daily. For me I use the medium grade grass seed (Virgo @ Home Depot) mid season. Stuff like 'Vigro Fast Lawn' during the summer times for fast germination then cut the lawn higher so that more moisture stays. Right now I have a lawn so thick from over seeding lightly every 1-2 weeks you can lose a dime in.

I recall seeing a product difference on Home Depots website when I was looking for the Vigro grass seed that said something about 'self replcating grass' or something like that but when I went to Home Depot they could not find the product and somehow IIRC the website image did not match the instore item. The grass seed I was looking for was something I think like $6/bag for like 1kg but after talking to the person in charge of the garden center they offered newer grass at I think same price but with +1kg more seed. The Fast Lawn is good for filling up patches quickly as it germinates in as little as 3 days in ideal conditions but normally 5-7 days.

I normally like to mix my own seed mixes. I use the Fast Lawn mixed with some slower germinating grass to provide the fast results and shade then use more of the slower germinating grass once the area has been filled. You don't have to use Fast Lawn you can use anything else similar. I've just had good results with that.
...Location: GTA North
If this post has helped you please click the 'THANKS' button.
GTA Grocery Highlights (updated weekly) thread
[WTB] Looking for a Netbook for $150 or under (~$100)
Deal Fanatic
Sep 8, 2007
9108 posts
10488 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
SammyDavis wrote: Every time I buy no name seed, it never works.
Wow, are you inferring that this is "no name". Wow. Probably better to stop posting.
icecoldman wrote: Good price fo 2kg of grass seed. Great time to overseed your lawn. Anybody ever used this seed?
This is an excellent high end seed. And it excels especially where you have foot traffic as these self repair. It is good for overseeding also. As a fescue the blades are finer but still has a nice texture. It performs as advertised.

Yes, this is a very good seed for that price!
Jan 10, 2011
365 posts
69 upvotes
GTA
Newbie here. Can someone tell me what the process is to overseed?
Nov 23, 2004
916 posts
246 upvotes
Better than Scott's Turf Builder Sun & Shade Mix Lawn Seed (the coated seeds)? I need to overseed my front and completely redo my backyard.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2015
2003 posts
1431 upvotes
Laval, QC
My local store shows only 11 left, not sure if I can still get 2 after work today
Jun 13, 2011
724 posts
352 upvotes
TurboTronix wrote: Can it be stored unopened till early next season?
I believe so. I've stored unopened grass seed over the winter in a shed and it worked fine in the spring.