Shopping Discussion

Canadian Tire Wont honor the warranty on Battery.

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 13th, 2011 1:09 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2007
3204 posts
383 upvotes
CALGARY

Canadian Tire Wont honor the warranty on Battery.

I wasn't going to buy battery from Canadian Tire being my least favorite store. But after checking with my local Costco's stock (they had none), I decided to buy from Canadian Tire.

I started to have problem with my car after installing battery, I needed a boost on multiple occurrences. I thought it wasn't the battery since it was brand new.

A month after all that drama, I parked the car a mechanic and he told me the battery is bad - after few days being parked at mechanic, it was bitter cold and I couldn't go due to snow storm, I brought it back to CT and they won't exchange or refund it, saying it's frozen etc. I'm disappointed with the service I received, how do I prove that it was bad even when I parked it in my garage every day.

Bought it on Dec 6. $100 lost!
  • To overcome evil with good is good, to resist evil by evil is evil.
  • A sign of a person’s evil is his need to constantly argue.
9 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2008
4465 posts
423 upvotes
Toronto
Try a different CT.
Buy Bell, and you go to HELL! :-0
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
30637 posts
1548 upvotes
Fernando Poo
Nook wrote: Try a different CT.

But make sure you thaw it out first. :razz:
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
7927 posts
4331 upvotes
Alberta
Mrbj wrote: I wasn't going to buy battery from Canadian Tire being my least favorite store. But after checking with my local Costco's stock (they had none), I decided to buy from Canadian Tire.

I started to have problem with my car after installing battery, I needed a boost on multiple occurrences. I thought it wasn't the battery since it was brand new.

A month after all that drama, I parked the car a mechanic and he told me the battery is bad - after few days being parked at mechanic, it was bitter cold and I couldn't go due to snow storm, I brought it back to CT and they won't exchange or refund it, saying it's frozen etc. I'm disappointed with the service I received, how do I prove that it was bad even when I parked it in my garage every day.

Thaw it out and then take it back to a different CT. They can do a load test on the battery and it will tell you if it is bad or not. They normally do the test for free, it only takes a few minutes.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8515 posts
2299 upvotes
Mississauga
Mrbj wrote: I wasn't going to buy battery from Canadian Tire being my least favorite store. But after checking with my local Costco's stock (they had none), I decided to buy from Canadian Tire.

Get a report from the mechanic that told you it was bad. Thaw out the battery and take it to another store as suggested.
report back your results.
Deal Addict
May 28, 2009
1387 posts
354 upvotes
Ottawa
jackrabbit000 wrote: Thaw it out and then take it back to a different CT. They can do a load test on the battery and it will tell you if it is bad or not. They normally do the test for free, it only takes a few minutes.

many yrs ago they charged me for the AVR test and even when the found the battery (which was bought at CT!) to be at fault refused to return the money. sent an email to HQ and it was probably neatly filed in the "dont bother sending a reply to customer" folder. many stories here about buying batteries at CT. best place according to many members including me is to buy at Costco.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
1805 posts
16 upvotes
jackrabbit000 wrote: Thaw it out and then take it back to a different CT. They can do a load test on the battery and it will tell you if it is bad or not. They normally do the test for free, it only takes a few minutes.

Exactly this. Likely you will be unable to get a refund but an exchange should not be an issue. As always you must produce your original receipt to the service center.
Jesus Saves, GOD Backs-Up

Packin HEAT
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2007
3204 posts
383 upvotes
CALGARY
Thanks for the useful advice guys. I have put the battery indoors and will try to return it tonight. I do have the original receipt, but the last time I was there they wanted warranty card which I dont have.

I really hope they can give me refund of store credit as I dont want another CT battery, and want to try Costco again.

I will keep you guys posted.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
7927 posts
4331 upvotes
Alberta
Mrbj wrote: Thanks for the useful advice guys. I have put the battery indoors and will try to return it tonight. I do have the original receipt, but the last time I was there they wanted warranty card which I dont have.

I really hope they can give me refund of store credit as I dont want another CT battery, and want to try Costco again.

I will keep you guys posted.

If you can't find the right size battery at Costco, try Walmart. Both Costco and Walmart carry the exact same battery made by Johnson Controls. Just the labels are diffewrent, Costco's is called the Kirkland and the Walmart is an Energizer Max. The Walmart battery actually has a better warranty than the Costco Kirkland.

Walmart:
108 Month Warranty
36 Month Roadside Assistance
36 Month Free Replacement
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2007
3204 posts
383 upvotes
CALGARY
First time I went they said the battery was frozen and they wont return it. I warmed it up and took it back to them and they wanted warranty card that I never had. What happened was, I went to buy battery the Auto Dept Cashier wrote the battery number for which fits my car and gave it to me so I could help myself. I found the battery and used self check-out and left. The battery was supposed to be bought through Auto Dept Cashier - I didn't know that, as the cashier never told me anything about it, and when I used self check-out no body stopped me.

Anyway, I went their today and they said "NO" I asked for the manager, they called him and he said "NO" over the phone - i requested him to come down and told him what happened. He took the battery for check-up and found it dead/faulty (thankfully not frozen this time).

He said OK, they will exchange it this time, I paid some more money and got the better quality one (eliminator kind). I'm happy as the lady I dealt with yesterday told me that I'm totally out of luck and there is no way they would accept it back.....

Thanks for all the tips!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)