Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Canadian Tire

Worx electric dethatcher - $150

• Last Updated:
  • May 26th, 2020 10:20 pm
May 14, 2006
261 posts
17 upvotes
London
crimsondr wrote: Mines been stuck with UPS in Brampton for a few days...
Mine too....should have been delivered Wednesday and is just sitting at UPS with no updates.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2011
1254 posts
429 upvotes
PapaTroll wrote: Two days ago I dethached my lawn manually (900sqft) and man was it a workout. I would definetly go with a power tool next time...
I own a tow behind thatcher and decided I needed a workout and did my 8000sqft lawn by hand with steel rake. ! Took me a full day!!!
No One Goes to Palmerston Ontario
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2005
3579 posts
610 upvotes
quentin0 wrote: Mine too....should have been delivered Wednesday and is just sitting at UPS with no updates.
Today's UPS update: Delay: Emergency Situation or Severe Weather
Dec 17, 2016
90 posts
60 upvotes
The Sun Joe 801E seems to be out of stock everywhere. I'm curious if it's being discontinued for a new model.

The Worx 14" was $150 at Canadian Tire, but jumped back to $199 today. The Yardworks 10A14" dropped to $129 though. I'd much rather buy the Sun Joe but looks like I'll have to settle for the Yardworks :(
Last edited by AndyDDDDD on May 22nd, 2020 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2006
1841 posts
946 upvotes
I bought and used the worx last week. It did a really good job on my yard. Tons of thatch was uprooted and I used a dethatching rake to quickly bundle it together.
It's really powerful and if you go back and forth a bit, it's scary how much more it picks up. Prior to this I cut my grass low (as suggested by instructions).
I watched a couple of videos of the Sun Joe in action and the worx seems to do just as much. This is my first experience with a dethatcher, but I'm glad I jumped in.
Saved my back, shoulders, hamstrings, thighs, and calves. Oh, and my yard is very bumpy and it did such a good job - it cleaned the thatch so well I'm shocked.

The only thing that sucks is the bag: totally useless - don't use it.
Nov 24, 2006
717 posts
459 upvotes
london
What is the consensus with respects to how this unit stacks up to the SunJoe vs the Greenworks. Or is it simply a personal preference, followed buy what ever is currently on sale?
Oct 15, 2015
56 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I picked up the Worx Dethathcer from CT last wknd. Worked great for me! All the reviews mentioned the bag was useless, so I didn't bother using it. Just went over it with lawnmower and bagged it.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2006
1841 posts
946 upvotes
shaolin_x wrote: What is the consensus with respects to how this unit stacks up to the SunJoe vs the Greenworks. Or is it simply a personal preference, followed buy what ever is currently on sale?
Dunno about consensus but cinsider the fact that the worx is relatively new, you won't see too many reviews. The other dethatchers have been around for a while so info on them is much more readily available.

However, I would say the worx is a good enough contender to consider. Did a great job for me. Remember, it's all about getting the job done well. Seems you can't go wrong regardless of choice. In my case, I went for what's avaoilable NOW since there's such a small window to get this work done.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2004
1783 posts
540 upvotes
So there reviews on CT website indicate the the "older" model of the Yardworks dethatcher was better. I think it had adjustable wheels. Any comments from somebody that has experience with both or the new version that is on sale?
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2007
2416 posts
363 upvotes
NB
If I already re-seeded and put up fertilizer, is it too late to detach?
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2007
2416 posts
363 upvotes
NB
Is the sunjoe at 178 recommended over the yardworks at 129?
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2019
1678 posts
2053 upvotes
GTA
Is the 'proper' lawn renovation process to mow the lawn, dethatch, add topsoil, overseed, add fertilizer? And water 2x daily. I'm planning to do my lawn reno for the first time ever in the fall
Feb 14, 2005
872 posts
168 upvotes
I have the newer version of the sunjoe and even though I dethatched my lawn last year, it still pulled out a crazy amount of dead grass.

I also aerated my lawn before seeding.

In my opinion, dethatching is a must before overseeding. There is no way the seed will penetrate the thatch later unless you dump a bunch of top soil on top, and even then, the roots growing through the top soil will hit the thatch later and not go deep and dry out in summer/winter.

Aerating is a must if your soil is compacted and water is running off instead of absorbing into the soil.

The order that I did was mowed, dethatched, aerated, mowed, top soiled and seeded. Lawn turned out better than anticipated after that!
Apr 11, 2017
432 posts
197 upvotes
Squeeky wrote: So there reviews on CT website indicate the the "older" model of the Yardworks dethatcher was better. I think it had adjustable wheels. Any comments from somebody that has experience with both or the new version that is on sale?
I just picked up the yardworks from CT today, it is back on sale for $129. Did a small portion of the lawn to test it out and it was pulling lots of thatch at the highest setting and didn't seem to struggle. The one I got had 3 height settings. I choose this one mainly because I didn't want to wait for shipping. It does not come with any extra tines. Will be doing the rest of the yard tomorrow so will have a better idea.
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2010
1353 posts
1220 upvotes
The Great North
HotDealsRock wrote: The order that I did was mowed, dethatched, aerated, mowed, top soiled and seeded. Lawn turned out better than anticipated after that!
Someone told me that you have to seed than put soil on top or the birds will eat all the seeds. Is this correct or your method putting the seeds last?
Deal Addict
May 2, 2004
1783 posts
540 upvotes
Walnuttrunk wrote: I just picked up the yardworks from CT today, it is back on sale for $129. Did a small portion of the lawn to test it out and it was pulling lots of thatch at the highest setting and didn't seem to struggle. The one I got had 3 height settings. I choose this one mainly because I didn't want to wait for shipping. It does not come with any extra tines. Will be doing the rest of the yard tomorrow so will have a better idea.
Thanks for the feedback. I think I will pick one up as well.

Now speaking of tines it looks like the replacements are around $20+ and based on reviews not very durable. I wonder if this is the old Razor-Razorblade model that is being used?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2001
6582 posts
1749 upvotes
rural ontario
Walnuttrunk wrote: I just picked up the yardworks from CT today, it is back on sale for $129. Did a small portion of the lawn to test it out and it was pulling lots of thatch at the highest setting and didn't seem to struggle. The one I got had 3 height settings. I choose this one mainly because I didn't want to wait for shipping. It does not come with any extra tines. Will be doing the rest of the yard tomorrow so will have a better idea.
I bought one today, you must have a different vintage - mine had nothing adjustable. Power button and bar was it. I was amazed at how much thatch it dug up. I detached then cut the lawn with a bag catcher.
72 69 6c 6c 65 73
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2013
1369 posts
1203 upvotes
Brampton
After you add soil, add seed and mix in with the soil slightly. Then add some fertilizer. Then throw some peat moss on top. Helps retain moisture and will prevent seeds from washing away and or be eaten.
nivek_k2020 wrote: Someone told me that you have to seed than put soil on top or the birds will eat all the seeds. Is this correct or your method putting the seeds last?
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2005
3579 posts
610 upvotes
Finally received mine today. I can’t believe how much thatch it dug out! It’s like it was creating it out of thin air! Amazing!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)